Home

Old 07-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: WTF...supposed EGM scores!!

Dude this is just EA's money talking once again. Think about it for a sec. They only review the xbox version of ESPN & give it a low score because Madden stands to lose a ton of sales on the Xbox this year with no online play. So I guess they haven't received the PS2 version of ESPN so that's why their isn't a review for it? We know that's not the case because Madden sold the most units on PS2 last year
so what better way to make your subscribers think that Madden's main competition isn't as good as Madden on the most powerful system, so that they will assume that it want be good on a inferior system.(PS2) We all will see how bad ESPN will be when the demo comes out on 08/10/03. My money's still on ESPN!!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 01:55 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1

Conspiracy theories are really, really stupid. No, EA does not pay anything to have their games rate higher I can guarantee that. I don't know why ESPN scored so low but I'd rather read the review and actually play the game before jumping to conclusions.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:09 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 4

Why are you guys getting your panties in a wad over this? Someone that I assume is affiliated with the game stated...

"It's not in comparison to last year's versions but to the competition at the time."

Now as hard as it may be to believe, for some of us, Madden is probably the better game. Not because of the play on the field, or graphically, or due to the playbooks, but because of the total package it delivers. Just the addition of the 'Owner Mode' adds immediate depth and replayability to the title.

Just slow down and think about the thing logically for a second. The only thing we have from EGM is an overall score. And considering most of us are more interested in play on the field then manuvers in the front office this score probably is of little bearing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 07:08 AM   #52
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Never fails. Every year the competition throws everything it has at Madden, and Madden always comes out on top. Even with all the hype over ESPN and Fever, between the two games it can only manage an avg. score of 7.5? please, Madden gets my $50 again this year. And yes, I do take stock in review scores, always have, always will. I don't have $50 to be throwin around on games, and usually these scores are spot on.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #53
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

post millineum EGM has always been retarted and crappy so while these scores are alarming they are such a mess with 20 reviewers who don't have the capability to do half the work their predecessors would do. I have a feeling this is the same BS in vein of Deathrow or Suikoden 3, they just slap there first week impressions on the game because it seems to me with ESPN's release date they are either reviewing a beta or they just got there copy in before deadline.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:17 AM   #54
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

AirLobo23 said:
Never fails. Every year the competition throws everything it has at Madden, and Madden always comes out on top. Even with all the hype over ESPN and Fever, between the two games it can only manage an avg. score of 7.5? please, Madden gets my $50 again this year. And yes, I do take stock in review scores, always have, always will. I don't have $50 to be throwin around on games, and usually these scores are spot on.

Thats nice
Old 07-25-2003, 08:53 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

Look, its still early. This is one mag. I'm gonna wait till OS, IGN, Gamespot ect. say instead of putting all judgement on one mag with tons of games to review. I mean if I was playing KOTOR and SC2 in one month, I wouldnt have much time to rightfully give the other things.

However, if the reviews aren't good all around for ESPN that is certainly gonna hurt Segas chances of luring in the casual gamer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 09:37 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

No it's no conspiracy theories it's just the entertainment BUSINESS that videogames are also apart of. I can't believe that alot of people are so naive to what goes on in the REAL WORLD. I own a independant record label & before any of my music gets played on any station that caters to my genre, I have to pay the program director, radio dj, etc. under the table to get enough spins to compete with the majors. Dude where do you think EGM & other pubs get their income? From advertisers who spend big dollars to pump up their product in these publications. Of course it will still come down to
everyone's personal preference but don't think that lil johnny want be persuaded by these reviews.

Also if you look at the financial state of alot of companies today in America you will see that not alot are doing too well. Payola is a good source of income right now
in order to stay afloat. Which all sums up my point that the reason the Xbox was reviewed & not the PS2 version is because EA stands to lose alot of sales this year on Xbox because of no online play. This is a major letdown to Xbox faithful who play on live & will hurt EA's pocket. They way I can sniff out the rat is that EGM usually review the games for each console when they are about to be released. So explain to me where's the Xbox review of Madden & PS2 review of ESPN? It's called deceptive marketing, & pubs have been using this method to cater to companies & prevent the bias tag on their magazines for years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »