Home

NO TEAM SPECIFIC PRO BOWL HELMETS??!!!

This is a discussion on NO TEAM SPECIFIC PRO BOWL HELMETS??!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2003, 09:33 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
NO TEAM SPECIFIC PRO BOWL HELMETS??!!!

How could this game be "so advanced" but miss on the basics??? uuugghhhh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 09:38 AM   #2
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NO TEAM SPECIFIC PRO BOWL HELMETS??!!!

Quote:

LIGNUM55 said:
How could this game be "so advanced" but miss on the basics??? uuugghhhh

I agree, but i remember someone was complaining last week because you could not use your custom sound track on the PA, low and behold...you can! So lets just wait and see and hope VC added it in for the final version
Old 07-25-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

It is not a basic. This is a technical issue.

The image of a helmet takes up a certain amount of menory. In a notmal game, you only need two images of helmets: one for each team. Although each player has one on, the videogame is pulling the image of each helmet from the same memory chunk.

Pro Bowl helmets would then require that there be not 2 chunks of "helmet memory" available, but 32. That is a lot of video memory that needs to be found and architeched for in order to have special helmets for one game.

Memory is finite - if you want to have 32 helmets loaded into active memory for each game (because the engine will need to handle regular and probowl games both), what do you want to lose? Maybe the refs? The fans? In order to allocate the needed memory for Pro Bowl helmets, should we lose sideline coaches for every regular season game?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #4
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

fossen said:
It is not a basic. This is a technical issue.

The image of a helmet takes up a certain amount of menory. In a notmal game, you only need two images of helmets: one for each team. Although each player has one on, the videogame is pulling the image of each helmet from the same memory chunk.

Pro Bowl helmets would then require that there be not 2 chunks of "helmet memory" available, but 32. That is a lot of video memory that needs to be found and architeched for in order to have special helmets for one game.

Memory is finite - if you want to have 32 helmets loaded into active memory for each game (because the engine will need to handle regular and probowl games both), what do you want to lose? Maybe the refs? The fans? In order to allocate the needed memory for Pro Bowl helmets, should we lose sideline coaches for every regular season game?

I don't know ANYTHING about programming , but how can Madden pull it off with all of the additions they have added to their game? (Owners-mode, New Playbooks, New AI, Animations, Playmaker controll, etc) assuming they didn't take it out!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:00 AM   #5
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Klue516 said:
I don't know ANYTHING about programming , but how can Madden pull it off with all of the additions they have added to their game? (Owners-mode, New Playbooks, New AI, Animations, Playmaker controll, etc) assuming they didn't take it out!

It is a different architecture.

It's not impossible, but it's not like they just "forgot" to put it in. It's a complex technical issue, and one that need to be dealt with from the ground up. And somewhete, Madden is paying for those Pro Bowl Helmets. There is a price that is being paid in video memory to allocate room for those helmets.

Personally, I just get frustrated with people attacking any developer for "forgetting something so simple" when they have no idea of what that technically entails. VC and Tiburon are both filled with exteremely bright developers. They are pushing the current generation of hardware to the limits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Meh, I never play the pro bowl anyway. After the super bowl, I'm concentrated on the off season.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 23

You guys are complaining about Pro Bowl helmets? Unbelievable.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

that makes sense, i was wondering why in nba 2k the allstar teams jerseys with all the different team jerseys were blurry and low res, while the other teams with the same jersey were hi res bump mapped.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »