Home

Sega's advertising for ESPN Football will be the best yet!!

This is a discussion on Sega's advertising for ESPN Football will be the best yet!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-24-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Sega\'s advertising for ESPN Football will be the best yet!!

I just checked out the website of the firm that's handling their campaign and after seeing all their previous work, I am convinced.

Wieden and Kennedy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2003, 03:45 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 32
Re: Sega\'s advertising for ESPN Football will be the best yet!!

For Sega's sake, you'd better hope so.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
Rookie

Some of the commercials these guys have made are well known by the masses. I would believe everybody in these fourms have seen there work before.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

Bringing this agency on board could turn out to be the best move Sega's made in years, especially if they manage to show off FPF instead of having some non-gameplay footage dominate the commercial. If they've got some cool commercials showing all over ESPN during the entire month of August, it could be a HUGE start of September for Sega's game. By then, every Maddenite in the country will know whether they want to stick it out for another year setting bobble head doll prices and creating a new stadium for their new team in Mexico, or whether they're up for trying something that is new and completely fresh looking. And if that doesn't get 'em, maybe they'll pick it up sometime around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

With this much excitement for ESPN and we're still only in July , I just don't see it being another 500,000 unit sales year for Sega's game. It may never come close to Madden, but I wouldn't be surprised when January rolls around if ESPN's total sales are in millions, not thousands.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:50 AM   #5
Rookie

The best thing sega can do for themselves if you ask me, is demo the game as much as they can. If the game is hot, and people play it themselves and think its worth it, they'll go out and get it. A lot of people will not watch a commercial and then just go out and get a game because the commercial was interesting. The quality of the product has to be there, and you have to show that off. Gameplay movies help immensely, but nothing compares to diving into the action on your very own machine or at toys R Us only to find out theres only 2 playable teams. I can tell you that from experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

I don't see why people think it can't come close to Madden. Remember when Tecmo and Nintendo dominated? The issue is who convinces the audience to buy their product. Madden is a good product with a hugh fan base, that does not make it impossible to take down. Remember, Madden sold 4-million units last year. Video game systems are in 60 million homes in America. The video game target market is nearly identical to the football video game target market. That means there are at least 40-50 million potential purchasers. The message just has to reach them. With enough market appeal, any "great" game can blow by Madden. Heck GTA III sold 10 million units. I'm just so tired of the Madden is invincible philosophy. Remember Double-Dribble, Mario Brothers, and Mike Tyson Boxing. The problem is that Madden has never had a "sustained" and "credible" challenge to its dominance. ESPN can "sustain" a "credible" challenge to Madden's place. Check out the current issue of Business 2.0 where they talk about how Nintendo used to rule the industry with an iron-clad fist and is now behind the newest player Microsoft.

Heck, screw those 4-million Madden gamers, go after the 40 million that didn't buy a football game. Now, if VC makes serious headway into that market, then it's really over.

Peace,

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »