Home

Just got the new PSM with football reviews

This is a discussion on Just got the new PSM with football reviews within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 07-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1
Re: Just got the new PSM with football reviews

Quote:

Clay_OS said:
ESPN has better Presentation and AI...BUT...Madden is "clearly" better.

Hold on...

Presentation effects replayability and overall enjoyment

AI effects gameplay, replayability, and overall enjoyment

Yet...Madden is CLEARLY better

Hmmmmmm...

See, it's a shame... I mean, I don't work for any of these companies and yet that's why even though I've played Madden for years I'm actually starting to hate that mess. I hate when people just contradict themselves and arbitrarily like something. Everyone loves a favorite. Just like where are all the Chicago Bulls fans now that they stink! I'll tell you where, they're in Chicago where they should be. It will never matter, Madden is ingrained into the fiber of every videogamer and although it by no means stinks as a game, no matter how great a product anybody else puts out, it will always play second fiddle to Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 10:10 AM   #26
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

mackandmoon said:
Well this seems like the most honest review out of the two games this year. Once again Madden takes the nod for being the less stellar in gameplay but more modes. This will always be the difference between the two games because not everyone can play our beloved ESPN football. It takes football knowledge to play this game & let's face it Maddenites really don't have a true sense of the real NFL game. Not all of them don't, but the majority are kids who are gonna relate throwback tackle to the actual NFL game.
Madden will always win the popular contest because of the easy to play system while ESPN will build up a base of hardcore players who understand X's & O's.

On that note I would like Maddenites to stop saying Madden is the most realistic NFL football game because it's obvious that it's not. Respect ESPN as the game that it is
which is the truest simulation of NFL football on any system
available!

I'm sick of ppl saying Madden is for kids, and 2K3 is for ppl who understand Xs and Os. And where have you heard someone call Madden the most realistic football game. I know just as much about Xs and Os as any of yall. But I prefer Madden.

And dont sweat the post man. It just gets to me when ppl make post like that. You really think that the majority of MAdden players are kids? Then you must dont realize its a Madden Bowl every year where thousands of 20-30+ year olds battle for a trophy.

Sorry to anyone if I took this thread of topic but I'm just a defender of non-sensible post like the one I quoted.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Well like I said their score is their score. We have different ways of measuring games. Like I said, when some basics get messed up, I am going to cut ya. They may not be concerned with that at all. BUT, I must say, to give a game a 10 like NCAA and with all of the Online problems, such as giving the wrong people wins and losses, not being able to connect to the server at times, giving the wrong people disconnects, not giving participants a win or loss when somenone quits the game even if the person who is ahead finishes the game against the cpu, lack of flexibility in formation subs, I'm not advocating putting anyone anywhere, but when I cannot get my best and fastest linebacker in the Nickel and Dime Packages because they made a goof as to who they thought was going to be in those packages, ect. LOL let me quit. It's an enjoyable game on many levels.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:16 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

"It takes football knowledge to play this game & let's face it Maddenites really don't have a true sense of the real NFL game. NOT ALL OF THEM DON'T"

There are probably alot of Madden fans that know alot about real football, and they adjust their sliders and play Madden as a simulation. But there are quite a few others that don't know much about football or anything who can pick up the game and play, and play well at that.

You do that with NFL 2k3, your dead, throw a fly pattern on tight double coverage...int, don't make the correct progression reads and don't find the open man in the passing game..incomplete. Don't follow your blockers and find an open, rushing loss, or minimum gain. Stuff like that really adds to the excitement, realism, and the replay value of the game IMO.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #29
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Graphik said:
I'm sick of ppl saying Madden is for kids, and 2K3 is for ppl who understand Xs and Os. And where have you heard someone call Madden the most realistic football game. I know just as much about Xs and Os as any of yall. But I prefer Madden.

Well, to be honest, it's a very common post that Madden is the most realistic of the games. Just as it is a common post that ESPN is the most realistic. I think you're lieing if you are honestly saying that you have NEVER seen someone post that Madden is the more realistic game. We get hundreds of those every football season on OS.

Quote:

And dont sweat the post man. It just gets to me when ppl make post like that. You really think that the majority of MAdden players are kids? Then you must dont realize its a Madden Bowl every year where thousands of 20-30+ year olds battle for a trophy.

What's the age requirement on the Madden Bowl? I don't believe minors (I think under 16) can enter. Also, even if it is open entry, how many 12-13 year olds will get their parents to chauffer them to the event and stand around for 6 hours while they play. EA has the numbers. They do sell millions of units to kids. Far more then Sega does.

Quote:

Sorry to anyone if I took this thread of topic but I'm just a defender of non-sensible post like the one I quoted.

Now you are being contradictory when you apologize to anyone who took umbrage, yet called their posts non-sensible. Wouldn't that be like me telling my wife that I am really sorry that I think she is a bitch!?!?!?

POST SCRIPT

This is not a bash on Madden or more importantly on Graphik. My point is for every point in the Madden/Sega clash there is a counterpoint....AND for every counterpoint, there is another counterpoint. It is a never-ending circle.

Someone thinks Madden is played by children that know X's and O's...... SO!!!!!!!!

That's an opinion. It's not like they slapped your Mama or something.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:25 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 12

First of all, none of the games have even gone gold have they? Plus this review was written what, a month ago? So they're not even evaluating the final versions.

And they're presumably reviewing the PS2 versions? Most of the ESPN players here are going to get it for the Xbox , aren't they?

So why are people getting so bent out of shape?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:26 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Please folks let's not go with the football knowlege argument. Granted it could be true on some levels. But to categorize ALL madden players as such is being uninformed. I mean after all the majority of NFL Players play what? Yep Madden, and I don't think you want to say that these people are in that group that doesn't know a damn thing about football X's and O's. But at the same time, there also must be some admitance that based on what is released thus far in NCAA, that while they've made defense more enjoyable in ways, the game is still so offensive. But that might be because college scores are generally high, but when I examine HOW the scores get that high, at times HALF of it is off some BS to some "stud" WR.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2003, 10:29 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

If you read the whole post you will notice that I said not all maddenites understand X's & O's. I in no way meant to offend anyone who prefer the madden series & understand x's & o's but on the majority of boards when the Madden vs. 2k threads appear Maddenites always claim that Madden is the most realistic simulation of NFL football. I know you prefer Madden but come on man, anybody can pick up the controller and play that game & win. ESPN's learning curve is a turn off to the Madden faithful because they have to think football instead of react football.

I don't want to go off topic of the thread but as long as EA cater's to the masses & is the most popular then it will never lose in the sales category. Once again it didn't come down to gameplay but game modes which is really sad for football gamers who actually love the GAME of FOOTBALL!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »