Home

ESPN Football Review Quotes

This is a discussion on ESPN Football Review Quotes within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #1
MVP

Brian_OS's Arena

OVR: 14
ESPN Football Review Quotes

Here are the quotes from the EGM review

ESPN
----
Bryan (8.0): Sega's football franchise trained its guts out this off season. I welcome the new Maddenesque playcalling menu and the healthy injection of ESPN elements into the game. Yet, even with these changes and enhanced running game, ESPN remains second-string behind Madden. It's Franchise options don't stack up to Madden. And while I appaud the attempt at first person football, this so-called revolutionary feature is disorienting, not to mention boring, when you play any other position than quarterback.

G. Ford (7.5): Solid controls, ESPN presentation, the cool fan closeups, and the good (but repetitive) announcers. The first person mode, however, is a beautiful looking disaster. Mnaully swinging your view around or anticipating a blitz proves far too hard. Gimmick aside, the heart of this game delivers.

Chris B (8.5): Sega's ESPN is packed with goodness - most notably the ultraslick ESPN presnetation, awesome eight players at once online play, and snappy commentary. However, the unforgiving running game takes a lot of getting used to if you usually play Madden. Still, a solid pigskin offering.

Madden got a 9.5, 9.0, 9.5
ESPN got a 8.0, 7.5, 8.5
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: ESPN Football Review Quotes

Quote:

ESPN
----
Bryan (8.0): Sega's football franchise trained its guts out this off season. I welcome the new Maddenesque playcalling menu and the healthy injection of ESPN elements into the game. Yet, even with these changes and enhanced running game, ESPN remains second-string behind Madden. It's Franchise options don't stack up to Madden. And while I appaud the attempt at first person football, this so-called revolutionary feature is disorienting, not to mention boring, when you play any other position than quarterback.

G. Ford (7.5): Solid controls, ESPN presentation, the cool fan closeups, and the good (but repetitive) announcers. The first person mode, however, is a beautiful looking disaster. Mnaully swinging your view around or anticipating a blitz proves far too hard. Gimmick aside, the heart of this game delivers.

Chris B (8.5): Sega's ESPN is packed with goodness - most notably the ultraslick ESPN presnetation, awesome eight players at once online play, and snappy commentary. However, the unforgiving running game takes a lot of getting used to if you usually play Madden. Still, a solid pigskin offering.

I'm speechless, well not quite:
"the unforgiving running game takes a lot of getting used to if you usually play Madden"

They mentioned madden WAY too much in their "reviews" if you call 3-4 sentances reviews. I'd like to see what they said about Madden 2004.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

Nothing in-depth..sounds like they just read the back of the box and gave it a grade. Bleh.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

What are they talking about, 8 people at once online? I didn't know nothing about this..
Old 07-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

The way they talked about Madden in the review makes you think. According to them if it isnt like Madden's it's wrong/bad idea. It's like Madden football games should be universal only with driiferent presentation and titles of the game. They seems to be Madden fans reviewing a competitor football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Yeah, that seems to be one of the main problems with these types of "reviews". You have people who aren't even die hard sports gamers doing reviews of games they probably have no business evaluating to begin with.

On top of that, they always want to use Madden as a model for the quinessential football game. That is bound to happen when "casual" fans are the reviewers. They are really not much different than the casual gamers that have been buying Madden for years because that is the brand name they are familiar with.

Madden is a good game, no doubt, but sometimes other games don't seem to get a fair shake at an objective review because of the familiarity factor Madden has.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:35 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

Holic said:
What are they talking about, 8 people at once online? I didn't know nothing about this..

They probably mean 8 people, but only 2 Xbox's. Meaning if you have 3 friends over they can be on your team. At least that's how it was last year, maybe they changed it.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:47 PM   #8
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

They never said why they gave nfl2k4 the scores that they did. Like that g.ford guy, he loved everything except for the first person mode because he had to manually swing the head of a player at one point. Then he all of a sudden turns around and gives it a 7.5. What is the basis for that score? All because he had to move someone's head. That's the worst review I have ever seen. I don't buy things on their review but for the people who read this magazine and believe these reviews might not buy nfl2k4 because of this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »