Home

Sega marketing skills are top notch this year

This is a discussion on Sega marketing skills are top notch this year within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2003, 01:38 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Sega marketing skills are top notch this year

Quote:

MuffinMcFluffin said:
He never plagiarized, people just believe that he didn't play the game when he said that he did, and we are about to get some info here.

But that other guy was pretty bad that did plagiarize.

oh well i dont plagariaze
Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

bdoughty said:
Yes like all the air time ESPN gave Sega last year?

i kno Sega had bad marketiing last year but dis year is different you could tell by their early tactics like football friday, secret modes and maybe beta-7.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #11
All Star

LiquidCrash's Arena

OVR: 31

The goal of marketing it to get your product to as many people as you can. The only info I've seen on ESPN is stuff that I've looked for myself. Meanwhile, I turn on tv and see commercials for NCAA 2004, I saw Madden at draft time. I haven't seen a commercial for ESPN 2004 yet, if theres one out.

This kind of marketing(if thats what we're calling it) is good for people who are already going to buy the game, but its not gonna get too many casual gamers to buy it, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2003, 05:24 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 10

For one thing ESPN is the title and I'm sure Sega doesn't have to foot any bill for advertising. Sure Madden and NCAA2004 are on ESPN but they are paying out the nose for those spots. It would be very stupid if ESPN didn't advertise their own game(s) on their own channel(s). If they weren't going to advertise the hell out of ESPN then they shouldn't have put their name accross the cover.

Don't worry about running out of new stuff to do in ESPN NFL Football either because VC is known for not giving up the panties on the first date. If you remember one of the biggest complaints was the manual didn't tell you everything. Most of us (even 2k veterans like myself) will be spending time in tutorial mode learning all the new stuff and I'm sure that is connected to the Crib mode too. On one site they talked about the replay value ESPN has. To get all the stuff unlocked you'll have to play with all 32 teams. Now that's some serious replay value. The Crib mode makes Madden cards and the all time teams you unlock look like small fries. 2K always had player cards but you didn't have to unlock them to see them.

I know when ESPN hits I'm either going to be playing it or be at work. My family and friends will have to visit because I'm not going anywhere.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:13 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Somewhere maybe an interview I read that this year ESPN is gonna flood the market with advertising sometime in august. Also about Madden telling all and showing all there stuff already he has a point about that spoiling the surprise factor. It has dwindled down about Owner mode and hardly any talk about playmaker which EA said is revolutionary. Madden still 2 weeks away but it feels old already now that every1 has seen everything in it. It feels like ESPN is hiding things and not elaborating into heavy detail a lot but , maybe that's a good thing like what if there is yet still some secretes they don't want to share yet, or are saving them for commercials to were we get more amped up about this game. I've heard everything about Madden but, I still am craving info about ESPN. Actually I hope they don't release videos showing off the Whoa stuff and do it in the commercials in a creative way showing off the eyepopping stuff that makes you stop thinkin straight for 2 seconds about what just happened. There's already a buzz about ESPN that is still going, but imagin the buzz if they show something never seen yet or done before in a football video game in a commercial and show it on a cleverly orchastrated day. People will return thier Madden cuz it got old fast and impatiently await ESPN to hit selves. I wouldn't count Sega out yet cuz right now they are doing the smart thing by not telling all, showing all there stuff and waiting to hit us hard later with fresh new info while Madden is just in its first week of sales. Then all the sudden a big buzz about ESPN comes up again, people start to talk about it like hold up I need to see more about this cuz I haven't seen this about ESPN Football yet.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:23 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

too bad they haven't figured out yet that they need to release the game before or at the same time as Madden. It's almost a month later and that will kill their sales. Maybe they will move the date up.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:32 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Also if Sega did all thier commercials and told us everything now the hype about it would die down especially since it's a month away. Maddens hype with their game is dead cuz they have told all shown all and the game is still 15 days away from release. Now Madden fans are left with 2 weeks thinking about and looking at the videos cuz they can think of nothing else which will begin to get old and when they get Madden and play will become bored of it fast because they have gotten use to how it will be from the videos and won't be as excited about playing it as they were at first.
ESPN will release 2 weeks after Madden not almost a month after Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10

They sold more copies of 2K2 when they were late putting it on all the current consoles. If they sell more copies of ESPN than they did 2K3 you can bet they'll keep doing it. They have always released their games the day the season started until last year. I know they didn't release the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube versions of 2K2 on time but the Dreamcast version was on time that year.

I know one thing if they have more than one company making the game discs we could get lucky and end up with finalized team rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »