Home

Sega marketing skills are top notch this year

This is a discussion on Sega marketing skills are top notch this year within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-29-2003, 11:36 AM   #33
All Star

OVR: 17
Re: Sega marketing skills are top notch this year

Quote:

ZILLION said:
Quote:

bdoughty said:

#1 IT IS NOT THEIR GAME. You need to get that to sink in first before anything else will makes sense. It is Sega's game. Sega pays ESPN for the use if it's name, sounds, personalities. Sega does this in the hope that the ESPN license will make their game more popular.

It's not just a simple liscensing deal. It's definately a partnership. A partnership in the early growing stages but a partnership nonetheless between Sega,Disney and ESPN. You think Sega is putting up the serious money needed for Wieden Kennedy to do the upcoming Sega Sports ad campaign?

Umm I would guess yes....

http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3588

All I have seen covered is "branding" and using ESPN as a vehicle to advertise and promote their products, including using the same ad agency refered to above. It did not say ESPN was footing the bill.

http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3588
Old 07-29-2003, 12:02 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

bdoughty said:
Quote:

sportsgeist said:
For one thing ESPN is the title and I'm sure Sega doesn't have to foot any bill for advertising. Sure Madden and NCAA2004 are on ESPN but they are paying out the nose for those spots. It would be very stupid if ESPN didn't advertise their own game(s) on their own channel(s). If they weren't going to advertise the hell out of ESPN then they shouldn't have put their name accross the cover.

#1 IT IS NOT THEIR GAME. You need to get that to sink in first before anything else will makes sense. It is Sega's game. Sega pays ESPN for the use if it's name, sounds, personalities. Sega does this in the hope that the ESPN license will make their game more popular.

As far as ad time and giving it to Sega for free, what dreamworld are you living in? Of course ESPN is going to charge Sega for ad time. Just like they charged them to use the ESPN name, music and personalities in their game.

And as for ESPN advertising games it puts it's name on and even caring about if they sell.... Go give Konami a call.

that was a terrible game. ESpn played it and said im not advertising dis [censored you naughty boy].
Old 07-29-2003, 01:24 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't know why everyones thinks ESPN will not advertise the 2K4 games. They will so stop refering back to NFL Primetime that game was trash. When Primetime came out games weren't as high profile a they are today, Madden wasn't selling muti-millions, Dreamcast was still alive (barely) and XBOX and Gamecube just hit the stores. And to think some say ESPN won't care what happens to the 2K4 games.But if you remember one of the first things SEGA told us was that it formed the deepest alliance with ESPN and will be changing there name as a part of the deal. Now to me it seems ESPN has a lot to do with this as they also metioned ESPN will be marketing "ESPN Videogames" and using them in their shows. So as I see it there is no longer a SEGA Sports and SEGA is apart of ESPN. It seems kinda like SEGA was bought. But thats just my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2003, 01:40 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Bdough speaks the truth. ESPN is not in the business of giving anything away. The sold the rights to the name, and the personalities. They will NOT be giving away free advertising. Just like ABC does not give free advertising to Madden just because he's on thier network. IF ESPN was also a software publishing house, then yes they probably would but that just isn't the case. It's good to see some sense finally in this forum, but the thing to remember is that as far as TV advretising, it's too earrly for both games to advertise now. Americans have a 30 second attention span, and if they can't run out to the store and buy it now then it's useless. Print ads always launch earlier. I don't think VC will be doing TV until the first week of September, through release day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »