Home

RPG Elements in games, who cares about Dynasty Mode?

This is a discussion on RPG Elements in games, who cares about Dynasty Mode? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 07-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
RPG Elements in games, who cares about Dynasty Mode?

Seriously, dynasty mode sounds cool and all... I wouldn't mind having it in nfl 2k4, but I can get all that and more from a management program on my pc, so it doesn't make a difference to me.

The one thing I am still waiting to see, that I feel will be 10 times more compelling than managing a team, is playing a single player throughout his career.

I don't see why a developer hasn't done this yet. It has all the complexity of dynasty mode (negotiating contracts, getting traded), plus the fun parts of starting your own franchise (working your way up through college and minors) and some extra cool stuff to boot.

Imagine starting your career mode, creating a character, choosing some starting skills, then starting your career in the draft. You get drafted, join a minor league team, and hopefully make it to the nfl. Perhaps the ultimate goal could be winning the super bowl, or better yet, getting into the hall of fame.

Hell, this would integrate really well with NFL 2k4's crib mode.

So why are developers so caught up in managing a team that they forget what the real fun part of the game is, PLAYING THE GAME! It'd be way cooler to progress by playing well in your games with your player and working your way up in the ranks than by toying around with some numbers and hoping your players develop into quality NFLers. Let's take the focus off managing stuff, and put it back where the fun is, with the players.

Surely someone can get this in by 2005.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2003, 05:14 PM   #2
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: RPG Elements in games, who cares about Dynasty Mode?

i think it would be kind of boring when yor not playing in the game. who just wants to watch a game be played? also, you wouldnt have negotiations during every offseason especailly after you sign a long deal
Old 07-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

While it wasn't exactly a single player career mode, I remember Sega did have a feature in their old Joe Montana football games where you could play as a single player in a game i.e. as a wide receiver, or as the quarterback etc. I remember hoping that they would expand on this idea but they never did. It is a good feature, and would work well for those of us who like to create themselves and put themselves in franchises(like me ). I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually implements this feature into their game.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:12 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8

You can kind of do this now can't you? Aside from the college aspect, you can create a player, sign him to a team, track his stats, etc...only thing missing is hall of fame, but essentially it's not far off. Or do you mean all that except you're only able to control your guy and no one else.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

thats what he means. control nobody else
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2003, 06:45 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I mean only controlling one guy throughout his entire career. I think it'd be fun to progress with your single player through his entire career. A game mode like that would get a lot of play from me.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 32

Wouldn't that be kind of boring though, especially if you only control one guy? I mean, you said that you start out at the bottom. I'm not quite sure how low you're talking about, because I'm not sure what you meant by "minor league team". But let's say I create a guy and he's drafted in the fifth round. What exactly is the fun in this? If I'm only controlling him, what do I do during games? Most fifth-rounders don't play their rookie year, so I just sit on the sideline and watch each game? I know it's "realistic", but there are plenty of real-life aspects of football that I'd never want to see in a videogame. And assuming that you want it to be as realistic as possible, keep in mind that most fifth-rounders don't negotiate contracts and trades. Most NFLers have their own agent.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:01 PM   #8
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

Quote:

ZXLT said:
Wouldn't that be kind of boring though, especially if you only control one guy? I mean, you said that you start out at the bottom. I'm not quite sure how low you're talking about, because I'm not sure what you meant by "minor league team". But let's say I create a guy and he's drafted in the fifth round. What exactly is the fun in this? If I'm only controlling him, what do I do during games? Most fifth-rounders don't play their rookie year, so I just sit on the sideline and watch each game? I know it's "realistic", but there are plenty of real-life aspects of football that I'd never want to see in a videogame. And assuming that you want it to be as realistic as possible, keep in mind that most fifth-rounders don't negotiate contracts and trades. Most NFLers have their own agent.

thats what i think too. this mode might sound cool, but would probably be pretty boring when you actually play it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »