Home

The Whole Madden / 2Kx argument

This is a discussion on The Whole Madden / 2Kx argument within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2003, 01:36 AM   #25
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: The Whole Madden / 2Kx argument

Quote:

Lockdown said:
Hello all. Obviously I am new to the forums, and am glad I found you all!

I have read some Madden vs. 2k posts that seem to find their way into many of the threads here, and would like to share my feelings real quick, and see if anyone else has found this to be true:

I never really played Madden all that much growing up. I got into NFL 2k when it was first released on the Dreamcast, and have never really looked back. I have many, many friends who play Madden and Madden alone, and really have no interest in switching to 2k. Here is what I see happening to these games:

I think, whenever I try to play Madden, I feel completely disjointed and like it just doesn't "work" for me. I don't like the speed, the camera angles, the momentum, etc... I frankly can't believe how people can even PLAY the game. Now, the funny thing is, when my friends try to play the 2k series, they say the exact same things to me about it, which I find really really bizarre! I have come to the conclusion that, except for those few individuals that can switch between both games without too much adjustment (and I applaud you for being able to do this), these games have become so detailed, immersive, and "feel-oriented", that it would be almost absurd to think you could love both. Now, my friends are pretty mature, and don't get into all the Us vs. You crap that has fueled so many in the Madden / 2kx arguments. They recognize that 2k is a good game, but in their minds, they truly don't feel it holds a candle to Madden. I am just the opposite. I feel Madden isn't even FUN for me.

I post this more to see if anyone else has come to these conclusions. That basically, you get so used to one style of game, the other style just seems completely obtuse and nearly uplayable/unfun. Diversity it great, and I am glad some of my friends can get so much enjoyment out of a game I think blows (for me), the only bummer being we will never be able to get together and play video football because none of us have even a remote interest in learning the other's preferred game.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your replies.

~ (the new guy)

Good post....

As someone who plays both, I know exactly what you're talking about. Both games feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO different, the fans of both are deeply entrenched in their games "feel". It takes time to get past that... A couple of months ago I made this post about getting past a first impression:

Quote:

"Ya know..
If you go to the zoo, the first thing you smell is sh-t....

As soon as you get out of the car. Monkey sh-t, hippo sh-t, bear sh-t. Sh-t and animal-***, all over the place. It stinks and Its sickening. But then as you walk around and get into the attractions, the kids are running around all excited, and a funny thing happens. You kinda' get used to it. You just kinda stop smellin' it, and unless someone brings it up you WON'T smell it....."

Same concept for the football titles. The "feel" is gonna' stink for the THE FIRST FEW GAMES if you're completely accustomed to something different. I felt it first hand this past weekend. My buddy and I played 3 games of NCAA and decided to go back to a little 2K3. For the first few series, I couldn't BELEIVE how stiff and robotic everything felt. There's a huge difference in the feel. But, as the game wore on I stopped smelling the monkey crap...

It takes time, but the new player has to want to take that time. Most Maddenites are tired of hearing how Madden isn't real football, that Madden is old and tired etc, etc...So their mentality is: "OK, OK, OK Dammit get off my back! I'll try this damn game, but it better be tight as HELL"
They try it, see that it is of course not perfect, get a whiff of monkey-*** (stiffness, floatiness, lack of momentum) and vow to never play it again....
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »