Home

Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game...

This is a discussion on Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
they need to get the license back. six years after ea got the exclusive rights and the nfl is now arguably the worst represented sport in video games. it's ridiculous.
No, the NFL is not arguably the worst represented sport in Video games; the NFL is actually the worst represented sport in video games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
2k's playbooks are quite vanilla, but generally good. Madden's have more variety of plays, but less plays overall. If 2k had the variety of Madden's playbooks and the things you mention then they would be better. I'd like to see the wildcat in a 2k game too.
My playbook in APF 2k8 consists of over 30 formations and 966 plays. Thats not even 1/5 the plays either.

― Plato
Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
No, the NFL is not arguably the worst represented sport in Video games; the NFL is actually the worst represented sport in video games.

Yea, that is a true statement. Hockey, Basketball, Baseball, and Soccer all have extremely sim gameplay, unbelievable tv style presentation, and a well working game. Football is way down on the totem poll.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsakk
Hmm, never thought about that.

But doesn't 2k's games let you design plays? (it's been while so I can't remember).
No. As far as I know 2k have never had a play editor. If I remember correctly they said on the 2k forums that the play editor they used themselves was too complex to be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
My playbook in APF 2k8 consists of over 30 formations and 966 plays. Thats not even 1/5 the plays either.
Yep, that is a lot more plays in the 2k8 playbook, but it lacks trick plays (it could do with a WR Reverse Pass at the very least).
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
What I haven't seen anyone mention is this:

EA has a contract with ESPN, and the NFL. As a result, we hear from EA that there is a conflict of interest in putting either "team" in the game, meaning NFL network or ESPN presentation, unlike the college game, which has ESPN presentation elements and no "NCAA Network" thing to cry about it like the NFL Network.

So, my point is this... with EA owning the ESPN exclusive, and if 2K sports does get that @k13 deal done that they are rumored to be working on with the NFL, we may get an NFL Network version of what ESPN 2k5 was from a presentation stand point.

From a game play stand point, 2k5 and 2k8's biggest issues were some defensive AI problems in recognizing a scrambling QB or playing man coverage or abandoning their zone when the ball is in the air coming right at them. [Yes, you can user control, but that is a work around of a core issue. That also doesn't help computer controlled teams.] Anyway, if there were not very many game play issues at all with 2k football games. In fact, 2k5 and 2k8 have set a standard in game play madden is still far from achieving.

What I really miss when going from Madden back to 2k games in the pre-snap controls like "playmaker" where you can flip a running play with out flipping a formation, and the playbooks Madden has. Some people may liek he play books in 2k game,s but they are still shallow compared to Madden's. Also, madden's plays have more going on in them: Auto motion, delay routes, option routes, and QB contain [not spy] on defense.

If we could get Next Gen graphics, because let's be honest, 2k8 looked like PS2+ not 360 level, along with better pre-snap and deeper play books, we would have an amazing NFL game on our hands.

I do have a lot of trust in 2k to make a great NFL game out of the gates. they earned that trust. I, like many others, never trusted EA to do a good job when we read they bought the exclusive license from the NFL.

P.S. I played NFL @k and 2k2 on the Dream Cast and 2k5 on my XBox. I don't dislike my 2k8, but I need the NFL and 2k8 feels more like 2k5 light than it felt like a new game.

True, Madden has all of that stuff going on now, but if 2K was making games, I have little doubt that they would have all that stuff too. Not only that, but even though the playbooks in 2k may have seemed light compared to Madden, given the fact that the play calling was tiered, and the fact that the "at the line" adjustments were infinitely better, you could do a lot of play creation on the fly that made up for the lack of default play variety.

Don't go off of 2K8 as an indication of where a new NFL game might be. That was a throw away title. The budget for that game was not anywhere near the same level as their other games, let alone their other Football games. If they were to make an NFL game again, which I think is very likely, the difference between the budget and size of the team doing that game and the budget and the size of the team doing 2K8, would be night and day.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 11

What also seems to be forgotten is that the people at VC listened to the fans of the game. They were well on their way and they accomplished a lot on last gen consoles. I really would like to see someone who has a contact to Visual Concepts be invited to OS. If we got Madden designers a part of the community then why not invite VC. Who wouldn't want them here? I mean we really should reach out to them....my 3bitz.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 8

It would be interesting to see how much the team can get done by 2k13 if this deal is done. They have a LONG road ahead of them if they want their NFL title to be their best sports game. Just think bout what nba 2k13 is going to be like. Expectations are pretty damn high...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #32
All Star

OVR: 33

marketing is 50% of the battle. 2k better not pull a backbreaker and spend $0 on advertising and just hoping word of mouth from internet forums help them.

50% should be on marketing, 50% should be on game development, if they want to make more than a couple of games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »