Home

Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game...

This is a discussion on Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 12
Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game...

to stay prepared for their big moment...I really hope that for the last 5 years w/o the NFL rights, 2K Sports has continued to work on their football game secretly or publicly. Just imagine the depth of NBA2K in an NFL2K game...

-For starters we would have a better intro video. (LOL) No offense to Brees and co in that other game, but really? It will be incredible to see multiple intro's from players, coaches, fans, and cheerleaders that get you amped for the game!
-Secondly, the soundtrack would be banging and we would have custom sounds...it only gets deeper from here...
-Next, there would be classic teams to choose from with all the retro unis. Knowing 2K they would probably throw in wrinkles like no challenges, old facemasks (i.e. kickers with 1 bar), and just that overall rugged feel of football from the old days.
-Let's go a little deeper, there would be more realistic player intro's, not the same tired Saints one for every team. (SMH) There would be an actual coin toss with audio and the captains talking and shaking hands (wishing each other good luck, talking some trash, asking about the family, etc)
-Even deeper, imagine the roster tools...there would likely be more roster updates and the commentary would follow this (think NBA Today like in 2K, but it would be NFL Today). There would be special teams subs. I won't ever have to see Vernon Davis, Ted Ginn, and Brian Westbrook on the kickoff team covering kicks. Seriously? There would be deep rosters, allowing for practice squads and anything else teams need to accomplish for roster moves.
-The player customization would be phenomenal! From equipment, accessories, shoes, cadence, etc. There would be custom celebrations that you could probably assign to individual players or team celebrations (2K would probably spice it up with excessive celebration penalties and fines just to make you think twice about over-doing it). Let's not overlook penalties, all of the real penalties would be in the game and actually get called. I could go on forever...
-Some other tidbits, playbooks would be outstanding with the tier system. There would be custom playbooks, actual back and forth motion from WR's prior to the snap (what players run all the way across the field in motion and then all the way back? The WR's in the other game do-didn't used to in last-gen though-we are familiar with this tune though). Sometimes the WR's in real life stop halfway down the O-line and reverse the other way or shuffle their feet prior to the ball being snapped). Trick plays would work accurately, but not excessively...
-Hmmm, what else? Cheerleaders would be on the sidelines doing their thing during the game and also in b/t qtr's and @ halftime (I won't even get started on the halftime show, or pre and post game shows). There would be a better postgame with the players and coaches actually meeting in the middle of the field.
-The commentary would actually be conversational and not Mr. Nasal Guy (Chris Collinsworth) and Gus who might as well be on a short yellow bus recording his lines. Imagine listening to, hmmm I don't know...let's say Kevin Harland and John Gruden. It would be crazy!

2K is capable of all of this and more. And that's the funny thing about this post as these are not just presumptions. We have confident expectations because 2K cares about their product and their consumers. It is evident and they have proved it! The NBA2K series is sufficient evidence alone, as they literally killed the competition. And I would be remissed if I didn't mention the fact that people still talk about NFL2K5 several years later as further proof and still update it to support it as confirmed in this forum.

What else can you all think of or hope that 2K is working on in their football dungeon/lab in preparation for the day they can release the beast?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Do we know if 2K Sports is working on a football game...

In terms of commentary I actually prefer the two that 2k had, even though they were voice actors lol.

As to whether their making a football game in secret, we don't know, but they did supposedly put together a dev team about a year ago without publicly announcing why.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
In terms of commentary I actually prefer the two that 2k had, even though they were voice actors lol.

As to whether their making a football game in secret, we don't know, but they did supposedly put together a dev team about a year ago without publicly announcing why.
That is interesting information. Hopefully putting together a development team is for what we hope. I'm excited for the release of NBA2K11 next week! That game looks phenomenal! I really am anticipating a pro football game on this level. We'll see how long it takes for that anticipation to meet reality.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I love this topic.2k had it on lock,now we must play a very sub-par football game.I just hope the NFL don't reup with EA. A new 2k is needed!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

My only concern would be 2k doing too little or trying to do too much different and messing it up. That along with what would be high expectations and a M****n crowd looking to stomp on it would be a disaster.

On the other hand, it could be pretty awesome
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grob_410
I love this topic.2k had it on lock,now we must play a very sub-par football game.I just hope the NFL don't reup with EA. A new 2k is needed!
What everybody should be doing is emailing the NFL and tell them to please do not renew the exclusive agreement with EA but I'm afraid that the NFL thinks Madden is so popular that they would consider it an NFL PROPERTY, which could spell bad news for us gamers....

What would be nice is if 2k could not get the license, let the console makers companies make a game exclusive to their own machines.. Let Sony make a game for ps3, let Microsoft resurrect the NFL Fever franchise for the xbox, then a 3rd party make a game so we can have choices as gamers. I dont know if you guys remember but that first NFL Fever game back in 2002 (?) for the xbox was rated higher than both Madden and 2K... some food for thought..

Ben
Voodoo

Last edited by shyvoodoo; 10-04-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
My only concern would be 2k doing too little or trying to do too much different and messing it up. That along with what would be high expectations and a M****n crowd looking to stomp on it would be a disaster.

On the other hand, it could be pretty awesome
I wouldn't worry about that... Im pretty sure that 2k knows the "love affair" the gaming community has with NFL 2k5 and if anything, they would try to improve on that.. They would want to make a equivalent to NBA 2k11

Ben
Voodoo
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 24

Well, there was about a four year hiatus from 2k5 to APF 2k8.

And, even then the commentary was pretty much the same ole, same ole, just with different names used.

And no franchise mode.

So do I have high hopes? Not really, no.

Unless APF was just a "filler"----- a "B Side" of a hit record, if you will. (Older peeps will know what I'm talking about here..)

But in reality, I highly doubt the NFL will allow anything but Madden to be made. As was stated above, the NFL may look at Madden as a huge seller and think "why mess with the cash cow?"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »