Home

This is what ESPN football is up against.(sound familiar?)

This is a discussion on This is what ESPN football is up against.(sound familiar?) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
This is what ESPN football is up against.(sound familiar?)

"..By the way, I pre-purchased NFL 2K4 and was ridiculed for not choosing Madden..."

A qoute from a friend of mine after he went into an Electronics Boutique to pre-order ESPN 2004. It has been my experience that the typical gamestore worker is a "casual" sports gamer at best. Madden appeals to that type of gamer. ESPN Football does not stand a chance in that store because of the built in bias of the folks behind the counter. I'm sure this same situation gets replayed all over the country. The bottom line, the game does not receive it's proper respect and Maddenites spend all summer of 2004 bragging about how Madden "blew away" ESPN football in sales. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers to really see what's going on...

Thank You.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: This is what ESPN football is up against.(sound familiar?)

I totally agree with those statements. The 2K series has been the best football game that no one knows about since 99'. And there are many reasons why. Sega gets some of the blame too. If you want to get some publicity for your game, you have to fight dirty! The masses are sheep. They like to be told what to think and what to buy. You are right njskillz... there is more going on than just the numbers. Sometimes just having the best product isn't enough. You have to fight tooth and nail to acheive your goals. It's time for Sega/VC to go for it. Even in the face of all the ignorance.
Bubba4
Old 08-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:

njskillz said:
"..By the way, I pre-purchased NFL 2K4 and was ridiculed for not choosing Madden..."

A qoute from a friend of mine after he went into an Electronics Boutique to pre-order ESPN 2004. It has been my experience that the typical gamestore worker is a "casual" sports gamer at best. Madden appeals to that type of gamer. ESPN Football does not stand a chance in that store because of the built in bias of the folks behind the counter. I'm sure this same situation gets replayed all over the country. The bottom line, the game does not receive it's proper respect and Maddenites spend all summer of 2004 bragging about how Madden "blew away" ESPN football in sales. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers to really see what's going on...

Thank You.

If someone wants to buy ESPN they will no matter what a store or saleperson say about a game!! Right??
Old 08-05-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

mvb34 said:
Quote:

njskillz said:

Thank You.

If someone wants to buy ESPN they will no matter what a store or saleperson say about a game!! Right??

Well, if someone who walked into the store, and knew what game they wanted, then they probably would. But if someone walked in not sure what they wanted, they could very easily be talked into getting Madden.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

i take what EB and gamestop employees say with a grain of salt, if i want a game ill buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:

NYJets37 said:
Quote:

mvb34 said:
Quote:

njskillz said:

Thank You.

Well, if someone who walked into the store, and knew what game they wanted, then they probably would. But if someone walked in not sure what they wanted, they could very easily be talked into getting Madden.

Well its Sega job to get to the casual fan!! Where is the marketing??
Old 08-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13

Last year around this time, one of the EB's I go to was pushing NFL2K3 just as hard as they are Madden this year. IMO, EB feels they got hosed by the lack of sales of 2K3 and are jumping on the Madden bandwagon so they can save their asses!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
24fps

triplej96's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

mvb34 said:
Quote:

njskillz said:

Thank You.

Right but if they don't know what game that want and they ask a gamestop worker they will 8 out of 10 times recomend madden. Why you ask? Well I use to work at gamestop and I personally didn't recomend madden becasue I'm more of a hardcore sim gamer, but my other coworkers always recomended madden even the ones they didnt know about sprots they would be like "I heard this one is the best and it sells the best".

Also some stores push certain games for example when I worked at gamestop we tried to push madden sales once again I didn't but everyone else would because as a store you try to reach a certain goal in sales for certain new games in this case madden . So its not really fare for ESPN NFl because alot of stores are bias like this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »