Home

still the best after all this time IMO

This is a discussion on still the best after all this time IMO within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
still the best after all this time IMO

I haven't played this game in so long but the other day i decided to download the latest rosters and give it a shot again. All I can say is this game STILL does stuff that no other game has done yet. I'm hearing new commentary I don't ever remember hearing and the presentation is second to none. I play it on my 360 so the graphics are better but not on par with today's sports titles.

The most important aspect though is the game play and I still think it is right up there with today's titles and in most areas it's still better! How can this be? I don't understand. They must have been one hell of a talented development team that is all I have to say.

I decided to play on the diagonal view (camera option's -really?) and it was really sweet. Hold the trigger and pan the cam and then hike the ball. You can see all of your players and it was just a blast to have the option to change how I want to play them game. It keeps things from getting stale!

Here is hoping those same people are still out there and can bring us another NFL game in the near future before I am too old to play it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: still the best after all this time IMO

Even if those same people aren't out there, if they can have a few of them just to come in and improve upon THIS 2k5 engine and update graphics.

I'm pretty sure we'd all be happy. Because THEY know we want an updated 2k5 and they know how popular it is so they wouldn't start from scratch. Just update some stuff and fix some stuff, add some features in here and there and BOOM ya got (hopefully) another classic game.

And I'm not an obsessive OMG 2k5 DA BEST!!@@111 fan , but after having the game multiple times over the past 5 years and never really realizing it was great I got it again around 2008 and fell in love with it. I do love NCAA 11, not so much Madden 11 although other people have different tastes. 2k5 just always is a challenge for me and I always have thrilling games.

I do hear some commentary I've never heard every now and than and it's great that some pieces aren't always heard.

I do love the running and everything in this game. It wasn't hard for me to go from this to NCAA 11 (besides audibles and a few other things) , but I couldn't get ahold of the Madden controls and I didn't really like the Gameflow thing where they call plays for you.

All in all I love 2k5 and it is my designated Pro Football game and Love NCAA 11, Madden 11 isn't for me , but I do realize some people like it.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 12

This game is still fantastic today. Since really getting into it before last year's season started I can't play EA's football games. I bought Madden 10 and 11 when they first came out and sold both on ebay. I kept NCAA Football 11 this year, but It (to me) is still way to far behind 2k5.

Have you played 2k4? I really enjoy that game too and spend alot of time with it also. I would go as far as saying that the gameplay, with a few tweaks, is more enjoyable then NCAA 11. I wish we had updated rosters for 2k4, but I don't think that will ever happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis
Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbalmer
This game is still fantastic today. Since really getting into it before last year's season started I can't play EA's football games. I bought Madden 10 and 11 when they first came out and sold both on ebay. I kept NCAA Football 11 this year, but It (to me) is still way to far behind 2k5.

Have you played 2k4? I really enjoy that game too and spend alot of time with it also. I would go as far as saying that the gameplay, with a few tweaks, is more enjoyable then NCAA 11. I wish we had updated rosters for 2k4, but I don't think that will ever happen.
Yeah I played all of the 2k football games. I was actually one of those people that got to be part of testing the xbox live online experience with the game back in the day. It was awesome at that time. I think that was 2k3 if I'm not mistaken. You played a game online and then answered a few questions and clicked submit. I think that was how it went anyways. Wow that was like forever ago already. haha
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

i comepletely agree! i miss this game so much!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
Yeah I played all of the 2k football games. I was actually one of those people that got to be part of testing the xbox live online experience with the game back in the day. It was awesome at that time. I think that was 2k3 if I'm not mistaken. You played a game online and then answered a few questions and clicked submit. I think that was how it went anyways. Wow that was like forever ago already. haha
Leagues with the right people were torrid back then. It's a shame they didn't make it a system link game, b/c we'd be able to continue them today. Especially with XBConnect and "special" Xboxes. It's a shame. When you play with sim minded people it was a great game.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

great post.

I was one a big fan of the 2k series since the inception during the Dreamcast days. The best NFL2K games were -

1.NFL2K1 - I have to put this first because it was the first online sports game. Even with dial up, it worked great, because of all the down time between plays, they made the technology work great. Also the game has those intangibles you'd see in real life. Great game online and offline. A great analogy I've heard was that NFL2K1 was to online videogaming like the Beatles were to rock and roll.

2.NFL2K5 - just the perfect overall sports gaming experience. We all know it had it all, great gameplay, great graphics (for the time), great presentation, great online play with online leagues, all of it. What more can be said. What the original poster says is right on, it is still 6 years later the best football game. They can't even come close to mimicking that game with the current football games. example - Gang Tackles in this gen are a joke compared to what 2k did what now, 6 YEARS AGO! you got to be kidding me that this gen's developers with today's technology can't come close to touching a 6 year old game but that's another argument and I'll leave it as that.

3.NFL2K3 - man this was such a great game that seemed like nobody played. The problem was that 2k made this game TOO HARDCORE. It forced you to PLAY THE GAME, NOT WATCH IT, like the competition. This led to this game not selling much but it contributed to a what 2k5 became, the whole package. I remember how defensive minded this game was. It was hard to score, and the cpu defense was one of the best I've played in terms of AI. It forced you TO PLAY, to make moves, jukes, cuts, spins, etc... And on offense, they forced you to control your WR and catch the ball by pressing the button. This killed the game to the general market because that was the big outcry for this game, that the wrs' drop the ball. Actually they didnt, it was just a lot of general players were too use to having the cpu catch the ball for them, and never attempted or didnt want to attempt to play and press the button. But this was a lesson learned for 2K, and they made the next versions a little more based to the non-hardcore football gaming audience which worked in the long run.

I missed out on 2k2 because I had sold my DC that year, so couldn't give you much of an opinion. I remember I did also like 2k4 but remember it had some major gameplay issues (I think one was you could return like 1/2 the punts for tds). I liked 2k4, but it didnt blow me away.

But the OP is right, 2k football was and is still the best. I thought EA was going in the right direction with 10 (5 years after 2k5), but I'm not sure now after playing 11. I think that EA is waiting for Madden (John Madden the human being) to pass on, and you'll probably then see Madden (the game) change completely. Let's face it, hardcore sim games don't work anymore with the general non-hardcore gamers. People want things fast, smart phone gaming is becoming bigger piece of the market, so not many people want to sit in front of a tv for 45min - 1hr playing a video sports game. So not sure what the future holds, most likely a more arcade / non-sim football title based SOLELY on exploiting Online Revenue play thru smart phones, handheld devices, and the soon to be dinosaur known as a gaming console.

We'll probably never get a game like 2k football ever again. I am glad to say I got to enjoy every minute of it.

Last edited by siam007; 10-20-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by siam007
great post.

I was one a big fan of the 2k series since the inception during the Dreamcast days. The best NFL2K games were -

1.NFL2K1 - I have to put this first because it was the first online sports game. Even with dial up, it worked great, because of all the down time between plays, they made the technology work great. Also the game has those intangibles you'd see in real life. Great game online and offline. A great analogy I've heard was that NFL2K1 was to online videogaming like the Beatles were to rock and roll.

2.NFL2K5 - just the perfect overall sports gaming experience. We all know it had it all, great gameplay, great graphics (for the time), great presentation, great online play with online leagues, all of it. What more can be said. What the original poster says is right on, it is still 6 years later the best football game. They can't even come close to mimicking that game with the current football games. example - Gang Tackles in this gen are a joke compared to what 2k did what now, 6 YEARS AGO! you got to be kidding me that this gen's developers with today's technology can't come close to touching a 6 year old game but that's another argument and I'll leave it as that.

3.NFL2K3 - man this was such a great game that seemed like nobody played. The problem was that 2k made this game TOO HARDCORE. It forced you to PLAY THE GAME, NOT WATCH IT, like the competition. This led to this game not selling much but it contributed to a what 2k5 became, the whole package. I remember how defensive minded this game was. It was hard to score, and the cpu defense was one of the best I've played in terms of AI. It forced you TO PLAY, to make moves, jukes, cuts, spins, etc... And on offense, they forced you to control your WR and catch the ball by pressing the button. This killed the game to the general market because that was the big outcry for this game, that the wrs' drop the ball. Actually they didnt, it was just a lot of general players were too use to having the cpu catch the ball for them, and never attempted or didnt want to attempt to play and press the button. But this was a lesson learned for 2K, and they made the next versions a little more based to the non-hardcore football gaming audience which worked in the long run.

I missed out on 2k2 because I had sold my DC that year, so couldn't give you much of an opinion. I remember I did also like 2k4 but remember it had some major gameplay issues (I think one was you could return like 1/2 the punts for tds). I liked 2k4, but it didnt blow me away.

But the OP is right, 2k football was and is still the best. I thought EA was going in the right direction with 10 (5 years after 2k5), but I'm not sure now after playing 11. I think that EA is waiting for Madden (John Madden the human being) to pass on, and you'll probably then see Madden (the game) change completely. Let's face it, hardcore sim games don't work anymore with the general non-hardcore gamers. People want things fast, smart phone gaming is becoming bigger piece of the market, so not many people want to sit in front of a tv for 45min - 1hr playing a video sports game. So not sure what the future holds, most likely a more arcade / non-sim football title based SOLELY on exploiting Online Revenue play thru smart phones, handheld devices, and the soon to be dinosaur known as a gaming console.

We'll probably never get a game like 2k football ever again. I am glad to say I got to enjoy every minute of it.
Amen my man... I was in some seriously fun leagues and made it to the super bowl only to lose on the last drive. Even with the loss it was unbelievably fun. I have not been able to have that kind of experience since with any football game. That is what's sad...

I truly think that BB is on to something but they need the NFL and they have to give camera options to the user so they can play however it is that they prefer. Even in it's basic state I would not put that game down if it had 2k's camera options. That was a huge mistake they made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »