Home

CPU 3-4 Run Defense exploit

This is a discussion on CPU 3-4 Run Defense exploit within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
CPU 3-4 Run Defense exploit

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on how to get the CPU to improve their 3-4 run defense?

Over the years no matter which roster or sliders I use I can easily exploit 3-4 teams by continually running up the middle via a no huddle offense and calling the exact same inside run ISO play. The 3-4 LBs don't shift over to cover the inside gaps too often, even when one does I just audible the run to the other gap, and my RB gets an average of 5-6 yards per play. I can do this all game long. It results in tons of TOP, and huge rushing stats for my team, thus making the game too easy.

I just tried one more time tonight with the latest FNG roster & Bill's sliders and beat the Broncos w/ the Bucs 30-24, w/ Caddy gaining 321 yds off 56 carries, and a 2-1 TOP advantage...

I assume this is just a gameplay exploit and there's no fixing it; kinda like the tried and true slot receiver inside slant audible exploit?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: CPU 3-4 Run Defense exploit

So you're complaining that you can abuse the computer by running the same play over and over? That's a problem caused by you, not by the game. Open up your play book a bit instead of no huddling (why would you no huddle to begin with?) and running the same play over and over.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Occasionally, you have to create some self-imposed rules of play.

1. It's okay to no-huddle, but I must change plays or I cannot audible from the play I chose.

It may seem ridiculous, but most games have something you need to work around.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
So you're complaining that you can abuse the computer by running the same play over and over? That's a problem caused by you, not by the game. Open up your play book a bit instead of no huddling (why would you no huddle to begin with?) and running the same play over and over.
I'm just wanting to confirm that this is indeed a gameplay exploit that is unsolvable w/o self imposed rules, no need to get defensive. The CPU should shift the LBs into the inside gaps to handle the ISO run, especially when the same exact play is called continuously from no huddle all game long, but no matter what sliders or rosters are used the LBs do not know how to handle this simple exploit. That speaks of poor handling by the CPU LB AI.

As to why I no huddle, it's because I prefer an uptempo style of offense, ala INDY or Oregon. I have a base set of plays in which I audible into and use multiple hot routes as well as play/run flipping. The CPU can keep up with this mind you, but not ISO runs against the 3-4 D.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
Occasionally, you have to create some self-imposed rules of play.

1. It's okay to no-huddle, but I must change plays or I cannot audible from the play I chose.

It may seem ridiculous, but most games have something you need to work around.
Thanks for the reply. I've played the game off and on since it came out back in 2004 and know most of the exploits by heart. I picked it back up recently and just wanted to confirm for sure that this was indeed a gameplay exploit, that could not be solved by sliders and/or roster edits, but by self imposed rules instead. Much appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

One possible "fix" is to edit ILB's to improve on their run coverage.... max it out and experiment. And/or up the tackle slider and nudge up pursuit for the cpu?? Bill's slider may not be the way to go.

But I agree with contant no-huddling is cheesing offline. Self-imposed rules will help bring realism, if that's what you're after. Another example is if I do manually cover the blitz assignment by a LB or DB, I never turbo boost.

Programmers can't cover everything and since we're talking about a 6 year old game that still gets a lot of play today.... you have to help it.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Rookie

What's interesting is that eventually the CPU will move an ILB into one of the gaps if I call the run to the same gap over and over again, but will not pick up when I flip the run to the opposite side. This tells me the AI is programmed to read statistical tendencies on where the majority of plays are being ran to on a given drive or quarter, but is not programmed to handle more than that. Limitations of the AI and all that, nonetheless still a great old game, and I'll give editing the run coverage a try. Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »