Home

R Stick & Chain Moves in ESPN

This is a discussion on R Stick & Chain Moves in ESPN within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2003, 06:16 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
R Stick & Chain Moves in ESPN

I've been reading some about these new additions to the 2k running game.

Can someone tell me more about these new options?

How does "chain" running work? And what moves does the R Stick perform exactly?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1
Re: R Stick & Chain Moves in ESPN

Well, as far as I can tell from the demo, moving the right stick left and right performs a juke, but the juke looks different than the trigger jukes.... It could be because of different running backs (actually that would be sweet), but I used Eddie George and he covered the ball with both arms and juked back and forth, it looked great, kinda like a "power move/juke." But pulling back on the right thumbstick does the "jump back" move. This can fake people out of their cleats!!! It is a stop and go move that's really well implemented... I've never seen a move like it in a videogame. I need to go back and see if these moves are different when your man is "charged."

As for the chain moves, man it's really hard and I really don't know if I've done it successfully or not, but you can press the button for another move while still performing the first move. That way you can take care of the next defender.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Well, as far as I can tell from the demo, moving the right stick left and right performs a juke, but the juke looks different than the trigger jukes.... It could be because of different running backs (actually that would be sweet), but I used Eddie George and he covered the ball with both arms and juked back and forth, it looked great, kinda like a "power move/juke." But pulling back on the right thumbstick does the "jump back" move. This can fake people out of their cleats!!! It is a stop and go move that's really well implemented... I've never seen a move like it in a videogame. I need to go back and see if these moves are different when your man is "charged."

As for the chain moves, man it's really hard and I really don't know if I've done it successfully or not, but you can press the button for another move while still performing the first move. That way you can take care of the next defender.

I did the Right Joystick juke as well. It worked well, maybe too well on one run but I just keep in mind that it is a demo. You definitely seem to have more moves to throw at a defender.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:39 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Your runner has to be charged up fully to chain moves together and if they're not they can only do one move.

I'm sure the Tutorial Mode will cover this subject. I just wonder are they going to use text or verbal instructions in the Tutorial Mode.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #5
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Your runner has to be charged up fully to chain moves together and if they're not they can only do one move.

I'm sure the Tutorial Mode will cover this subject. I just wonder are they going to use text or verbal instructions in the Tutorial Mode.

theres a video out there showing the tutorial....its text and tells you to perform the task like running into the endzone just using turbo

have you guys played nba street 2? the tutorial is kinda like that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:

mrnoobie said:
Quote:

sportsgeist said:

theres a video out there showing the tutorial....its text and tells you to perform the task like running into the endzone just using turbo

have you guys played nba street 2? the tutorial is kinda like that

Yeah, I saw that video too. It's an interactive/hands-on tutorial. This is something that hasn't been talked about much, but I think is a much needed addition to the series (especially if they're going to put out such a shoddy user manual).
Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 AM   #7
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:

sportsgeist said:

Nah, you don't have to be charged up in order to pull off chain moves. I've pulled off a series of chained moves while returning kickoffs in the demo without being charged up.

All that has to be done is enter the controller command of the next move while the animation of the current move is taking place, and keep doing it until your player is brought down. Basically, the way this feature works in ESPN NFL Football is no different than how a canned combo works in a standard 3-D fighting game. For example, think PPK in Virtua Fighter. The P and K buttons can be inputted in this sequence as fast as you want because you already know that the second P will automatically come out after the first P and the K will come out right after the second P. And that's the way it works in ESPN NFL. The next desired move will be buffered in, and will occur right after the previous move finishes. It may be hard to see at first since this initally appears to happen in a subtle manner, but one you closely identify what each move does individually, then you'll certainly be able to see and tell whenever a few moves have been chained together. Heh, you might already be doing this and not even know it.

Kruza

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »