Home

It's like Tiger Woods and Mickelson

This is a discussion on It's like Tiger Woods and Mickelson within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2003, 07:11 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 14
Re: It\'s like Tiger Woods and Mickelson

Quote:

Klue516 said:
Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Please VC doesn't have to do much to compete with the Owner mode in madden2004. You can't make a new stadium every year for the same franchise and setting prices and advertisement will get old too. People aren't disappointed with Madden because of the "owner mode" anyway. They're disappointed in the gameplay and presentation of Madden2004. The gameplay even with Playmaker is old and the Presentation is dry. Even thinking about how dry Madden's gameplay and presentation is makes me thirsty

Ugh ........I wonder what you will say if people are disappointed with ESPN

Probably the same stuff the usually gets said on this board. "Have you ever played football?" "You don't know what real football is" etc... etc...

The funny this is people are quick to point out when someone is dissapointed in the other game(s), yet the people who enjoy the other game(s) instead of,or along with, ESPN are disregarded or their "football IQ" is questioned.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:53 AM   #18
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

Klue516 said:
Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Please VC doesn't have to do much to compete with the Owner mode in madden2004. You can't make a new stadium every year for the same franchise and setting prices and advertisement will get old too. People aren't disappointed with Madden because of the "owner mode" anyway. They're disappointed in the gameplay and presentation of Madden2004. The gameplay even with Playmaker is old and the Presentation is dry. Even thinking about how dry Madden's gameplay and presentation is makes me thirsty

Ugh ........I wonder what you will say if people are disappointed with ESPN

Probably the same stuff the usually gets said on this board. "Have you ever played football?" "You don't know what real football is" etc... etc...

The funny this is people are quick to point out when someone is dissapointed in the other game(s), yet the people who enjoy the other game(s) instead of,or along with, ESPN are disregarded or their "football IQ" is questioned.

Realism is relative. That said, i dont want realism interfering with my ability to enjoy a game. If that means that some things need to be sacrificed, then so be it.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:21 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

RawkerOne said:
a much better comparison would be 50 cent (EA) to guru of gangstarr (SEGA).

That's a very good comparison...While Guru is a better rapper, 50 Cent still sells more CD's, and is more popular. However, this comparison is a bit off, as Guru has been around much longer than 50, which is opposite for Madden and NFL 2k, as Madden has been around much longer.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:27 AM   #20
R**k**

OVR: 3

Fortunately, real football is a lot more fun to watch than Madden is to play. Madden does a lot of things right, but presentation is not one of them. The sound desperately needs to be upgraded. Sure, you have to have Madden and Michaels, but at least bump up the crowd. I just found the game to be dreadfully boring this year and not a whole lot different than last year.

What's the fun in a building a franchise when individual games turn out to be dull and uninteresting. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind that I did not particularly care for NFL 2k3, but I hope the improvements in this year's game make it a fun game to play. The demo was a blast.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:43 AM   #21
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

kevinpars said:
Fortunately, real football is a lot more fun to watch than Madden is to play. Madden does a lot of things right, but presentation is not one of them. The sound desperately needs to be upgraded. Sure, you have to have Madden and Michaels, but at least bump up the crowd. I just found the game to be dreadfully boring this year and not a whole lot different than last year.

What's the fun in a building a franchise when individual games turn out to be dull and uninteresting. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind that I did not particularly care for NFL 2k3, but I hope the improvements in this year's game make it a fun game to play. The demo was a blast.

Exactly my point, a video game has to be fun and i have to enjoy it to continue playing it. I gave up on madden a few years ago cause of the commentary and overall crowd reactions, etc. Now some might think this is a silly reason not to play the game, but the atmosphere ( or lack thereof) kept me from enjoying the game. So, as far fetched as something might sound like cause it doesnt affect your enojoyment of a game, there are a few things here and there that will. And we should be so fortunate to have a selection of games to choose from.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2003, 10:11 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 4

Barcadi summed it up best.

To add to this, I think people need to realize that ESPN fans were Madden fanatics at some point before the 2K series came along. I was one of them. I started playing Madden back when it was on Apple Computer.

I actually like Madden '04 in many ways. I think the gameplay has improved some, but the atmosphere and graphics are awful and at this point it's no longer forgiveable. It's 2003, there just is'nt any excuse.

While some can look past those two critical elements, for ESPN fans who are used to these things being top-of-the-line, Madden simply cannot appeal to die-hard ESPN fans.

With all that said, if EA brought their graphics into the 21st Century and put some real atmosphere into the game, not to mention making the game a bit harder because its just to easy for me and most 2K players, I would buy Madden the first day it's out.

But EA is probably not going to do that until the next generation. Why? Complacency. They are comfortable with their sales. You just don't fix what ain't broke. It's bad for the consumer and even worse for those who know that there is a superior product available, but it's good for business. It's how business is done. Rather than waste time improving a best seller, just keep churning out virtually the same game with a few more bells and whistles and slap a new year on the cover. They can focus all their energy on advertising which will keep sales up, which of course is the objective.

Will ESPN NFL Football ever become king in sales? Doubtful. Highly doubtful. But will it surpass Madden in the overall simulation of Pro Football? That ship already sailed way back on September 9th, 1999. The biggest hurdle for Sega/VC is making a consumer base that is resistant to change realize this.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:14 AM   #23
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

CFL2K4 said:
Barcadi summed it up best.

To add to this, I think people need to realize that ESPN fans were Madden fanatics at some point before the 2K series came along. I was one of them. I started playing Madden back when it was on Apple Computer.

I actually like Madden '04 in many ways. I think the gameplay has improved some, but the atmosphere and graphics are awful and at this point it's no longer forgiveable. It's 2003, there just is'nt any excuse.

While some can look past those two critical elements, for ESPN fans who are used to these things being top-of-the-line, Madden simply cannot appeal to die-hard ESPN fans.

With all that said, if EA brought their graphics into the 21st Century and put some real atmosphere into the game, not to mention making the game a bit harder because its just to easy for me and most 2K players, I would buy Madden the first day it's out.

But EA is probably not going to do that until the next generation. Why? Complacency. They are comfortable with their sales. You just don't fix what ain't broke. It's bad for the consumer and even worse for those who know that there is a superior product available, but it's good for business. It's how business is done. Rather than waste time improving a best seller, just keep churning out virtually the same game with a few more bells and whistles and slap a new year on the cover. They can focus all their energy on advertising which will keep sales up, which of course is the objective.

Will ESPN NFL Football ever become king in sales? Doubtful. Highly doubtful. But will it surpass Madden in the overall simulation of Pro Football? That ship already sailed way back on September 9th, 1999. The biggest hurdle for Sega/VC is making a consumer base that is resistant to change realize this.

Well said man .......Sept 2nd, will it ever come

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »