Home

When will NFL 2K5 get beaten for title of best NFL game ever?

This is a discussion on When will NFL 2K5 get beaten for title of best NFL game ever? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: When will NFL 2K5 lose the title for best NFL game ever?
2011 (Madden NFL 12) 10 10.53%
2012 (Madden NFL 13) 3 3.16%
2013 (Madden NFL 14) 5 5.26%
When 2K Sports gets the NFL license back 64 67.37%
The current Madden is already better than 2K5 8 8.42%
Never, the Madden exclusive license is here to stay 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: When will NFL 2K5 get beaten for title of best NFL game ever?

@mestevo: in your very first sentence you have one subjective opinion trying to support another. It's only may seem overrated to some who perhaps cannot break away from their connection to Madden or maybe because they cannot appreciate what one must do to master the 2k football games, it's hard to say. But the praise certainly is not blind. Blind praise would be something like admiring Paris Hilton for her entertainment talents. 2K5 certainly has discernible merits and seemed to provide certain emulations of the real game pointed out time and time again. Considering the professionalism of the developers at the time, it appears they would have made the adjustments to compete each ensuing year. We'll never know. But to say that each year's game is better than the previous, simply because it is the latest and greatest version.... well, some game companies are salivating over your sub-group, and counting on it.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #18
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

In my opinion, NCAA Football 11, Madden NFL 10, and All Pro Football 2K8 are already better games than NFL 2K5 was.

NFL 2K5 and the NFL 2K series in general, for all the things it got right, was a buggy mess in franchise mode.

And who determines this "title" anyway? Is my opinion wrong because Metacritic has a higher number for NFL 2K5 than any other football game? That seems arbitrary.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-26-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
In my opinion, NCAA Football 11, Madden NFL 10, and All Pro Football 2K8 are already better games than NFL 2K5 was.

NFL 2K5 and the NFL 2K series in general, for all the things it got right, was a buggy mess in franchise mode.

And who determines this "title" anyway? Is my opinion wrong because Metacritic has a higher number for NFL 2K5 than any other football game? That seems arbitrary.
The opinion that NFL 2K5 (and also Madden 2005), being the greatest of all time has simply become a widely held opinion, like Joe Montana is the greatest QB or Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player. The legacy of those games have been set in stone no matter what we say now.

As for 2K5, most gamers don't buy football games for franchise mode, and the reviewers only skim franchise mode because they don't care about it much either, so that's a big reason why the franchise problems had zero negative impact on 2K5's success and public opinion.

2K5 is overrated, but in my opinion it's only because its status has taken on mythical proportions, not because it wasn't a great game. That said, a lot of the long standing feelings have to do with many gamers holding the opinion that none of the football games this generation excelled in their own right the way last gen football games did, and I agree with that feeling. Besides, the fact that people always bring up games from this generation and say "well these games are better than 2K5" is telling. We shouldn't even be comparing football games made in 2004 and before with ones being in this generation, as that's really a discredit to the football games of today but a discredit I agree with seeing. The games you mentioned were good games, but I don't see any of them as games that will go down as widely considered the greastest of all time like Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 did, and quite frankly I don't feel they deserve to go down in history like Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5.

I feel that the 2004 football games really pushed the envelope for their generation; it was an amazing time that we may never see again. By contrast, all of the football games of this generation have only scratched the surface when you compare bit-for-bit what football games of the past had or did right/better that the football games of today aren't doing, which is completely ridiculous and pathetic considering that we're like 7 years in to this generation.

Last edited by Raingear; 04-26-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raingear
As for 2K5, most gamers don't buy football games for franchise mode, and the reviewers only skim franchise mode because they don't care about it much either, so that's a big reason why the franchise problems had zero negative impact on 2K5's success and public opinion.
Fair enough, though I would think that this community in particular would and typically does scrutinize these games a little harder. Not sure why that wouldn't apply here for this determination.

Let's not forget that 2K5 had some issues on the field either. Two that come to mind: out of the box, there were issues with how defensive backs played against the pass (I distinctly remember people running in circles and a ton of labbing with ratings to mitigate the problem) and a clipping penalty issue which on the PS2 was not capable of being patched (I think this may have been patched on the XBOX, however).

Quote:
2K5 is overrated, but in my opinion it's only because its status has taken on mythical proportions, not because it wasn't a great game.
Agree wholeheartedly. Let me be clear - I loved 2K5, I still own it, but I've by-and-large moved on.

Quote:
That said, a lot of the long standing feelings have to do with many gamers holding the opinion that none of the football games this generation excelled in their own right the way last gen football games did, and I agree with that feeling. Besides, the fact that people always bring up games from this generation and say "well these games are better than 2K5" is telling. We shouldn't even be comparing football games made in 2004 and before with ones being in this generation, as that's really a discredit to the football games of today but a discredit I agree with seeing. The games you mentioned were good games, but I don't see any of them as games that will go down as widely considered the greastest of all time like Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 did, and quite frankly I don't feel they deserve to go down in history like Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5.
You have a fair point. I do think a substantial amount of people continue to bring up 2K5 simply over bitterness from the exclusivity deal and never really have given other games a fair chance in the first place. The 2K games were never picked apart to the extent that recent football games have been over the years, and it's become quite unpopular to mention anything that other games do right, lest one receive a thousand verbal lashings, haha.

Quote:
I feel that the 2004 football games really pushed the envelope for their generation; it was an amazing time that we may never see again. By contrast, all of the football games of this generation have only scratched the surface when you compare bit-for-bit what football games of the past had or did right/better that the football games of today aren't doing, which is completely ridiculous and pathetic considering that we're like 7 years in to this generation.
I agree with you that football games absolutely have not reached their potential this generation, compared to last, and one look at games like NBA2K11 and The Show will make that obvious. That said, I argue that they are finally starting to get there.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsReality

Until they pass the golden 92.
Madden 10 should have been atleast an 88. Everything else is fine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
Rookie

falconfansince81's Arena

OVR: 3

since PSN has been down the past couple weeks i've been trying to get my offline fix elsewhere (i only play online franchises in madden). played a road to glory mode in ncaa11, was good entertainment which was squashed upon transfering over to madden's superstar mode.

then i decided to dig out the ps2 and give 2k5 a spin. using bill's sliders, i am mid-way through my 2nd season with the chiefs (default rosters) and could care less if PSN doesn't come back til august. this game is still the golden standard, or forever will be.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #23
Rookie

WildeCane's Arena

OVR: 5

Notice how the two best scoring games came outin 2005. Competition is good and clearly forced madden to improve its game
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

I didnt play any of the last gen Madden games after 2005 (xbox) because I ran out and shelled the cash for the 360, ignorantly thinking that Madden 2006 would be so much better on the more powerful system, man, do I feel like an idiot, especially since Madden was the only freakin game I played really!!

I picked up 2K5 and 2K8 about a year ago and Imo they are both good games and I enjoy playing them, but regardless of excellent work by folks updating rosters, playbooks, etc, etc, the graphics are just too plain for me to enjoy. Its like a hot chick with a huge mole on her face, you can try to enjoy it, but its always in the back of you mind, you know..

I'm in for the "when 2K has a shot at the liscense again" but imo, and around 800 bucks later, Madden 2005 was better than 2K5, 2K8, Madden 06-11.

Thanks OS!!

Last edited by db56; 05-26-2011 at 10:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »