S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: Move Over Maden...

Quote:

Motown said:
Quote:

JRod said:
It will continue to be a top seller...

Madden love or hate is a solid game and one if you like that style of football isnt' all that bad.

As for ESPN...IT'S NOT EVEN FREAKING OUT YET. Weds we'll know if it can stand the test.

If it's a solid game, I'll be playing it and won't have Madden in my library. If it's not and has "problems" like it did last year, I just might move on to Basketball or Hockey.

Either way it's not out yet so let's stop this sillyness.

Hmmm...i dunno man, ALOT of people is returning Madden... Eb games spokesperson said they're returning Madden at an Alarming rate!!!Ebay's FULL of Madden 2004 and everywhere i've been, there's TONS of Madden copies on the shelves...it's NOT selling like you think it is!

Where is you link on this info??
Old 09-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 14

I suggest you try eBay.com and see for yourself.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #19
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

jrod,

are u gettig espnfl??
Old 09-01-2003, 11:49 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:

Kanobi said:
jrod,

are u gettig espnfl??

I get all the damn games becuase I'm stupid.

If I was smart I would give up gaming and save me 50 bucks every few weeks...

Here's the games I think I'll be getting and the ones I have already this sports season.

Madden
Fever
ESPN
FIFA 2003
ESPN NHL
Tiger
Links

There's five I can't remember right off the top of my head.

That's 250 right there.

Anyway back to ESPN and Madden.

Madden's returns are expected. Also remember that some of those returns might be due to the "NCAA" import problem. I don't think all that many but a few. Plus every store in my experience usually has enough Maddens to last the entire season. ESPN and Sega Sports I don't think put out as many. I think this is a cost saver. Because if only 500,000 thousand are bought and you made 1.5 million that's a lot of money setting in these stores.

ESPN needs a very good year to get the Buzz around. Let's take an example of WE6 a soccer game for the PS2. It was only a Japanese release in the first couple of PS2 releases. A community started to import this game and that generated a lot of buzz. So much so that WE6 was finally released in the US where it was only sold in Asia and Europe. To boot, FIFA was losing saled in Europe, one of it's "gold suppliers" for years. Just last year WE (called PES over there) pulled neck and neck for the PS2. Now FIFA is changing it's ways to get it's game more realistic.

ESPN/NFL 2k has not had a solid year to date. For the average game (they make up the majority of sales) the game is off-putting. I don't know why. I think it's the pick up and play aspect of it. When you fired it up it didn't look "mainstream". When you played it, there was more than just a "new" game learning curve. All this and more led to NFL 2k getting the critics choice but not the sales winnner. Think Oscar, half of those movies I've never seen in a year and I'm sure most of you haven't either. There sales aren't 100 million for the first weekend or any of that craziness. Instead they win best picture and that's that.

ESPN is a lot like that...it just never did appeal to the mainstream gamer. Whereas Madden was already entrenched in the minds of average footballs fans and football gaming culture. NFL 2k3 was a start but wasn't polished enough.

Fastforward to this year, there's some buzz not enough to generage big sales but I think this year is the start of the revolution. IF ESPN plays a technically sound game, it will please hardcore fans. That include simming, franchise modes, editting and the like. If it's just plain fun to play that will get the casual gamers. And if it's just eary on how it mimmicks football than it will please both. If Vick plays like Vick, if Portis is Portis and if Farve is just Farve, the ball will start rolling and next year, will be the year to watch.

So far NFL 2k3 never did enough to get the mainstream gamer. Let's face it, online play is only a draw for some people and the hardcore gamer. YOU ARE ALL HARDCORE GAMERS. Other than that what did ESPN/NFL 2k give gamers to enjoy. It wasn't ultra realistic football, yes ultra realistic.

For ESPN to get good sales, it's going to have to be twice as good and twice as perfect as Madden. Why? Becuase it's not Madden. Madden gets away with a lot because it can and it's name recognition. It's reality and the underdogs always have to look twice as good and play twicde as good and the big dogs.

Anyway, I'll be waiting in line like the rest of you on Weds.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:37 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

JRod said:
Quote:

Kanobi said:
jrod,

are u gettig espnfl??

I get all the damn games becuase I'm stupid.

If I was smart I would give up gaming and save me 50 bucks every few weeks...

Here's the games I think I'll be getting and the ones I have already this sports season.

Madden
Fever
ESPN
FIFA 2003
ESPN NHL
Tiger
Links

dont waste your money on fifa2003, winning eleven 6 int is a million times better. bigger gap between that and WE6 than there is between madden and espn.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2003, 05:46 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 10

If ESPN starts to sell good it won't be due to a change in a trend. If it starts to sell well is only because the people who usually play Madden every year are starting to notice the good work VC does. The demo that VC put out helped big time because I know there are people out there who would'nt have played ESPN any other way. They'll also notice that VC doesn't sit on their arse and they try an fix everything people had a problem with in the previous title. Everything that was fixed or new this year in ESPN is almost everything that was in last year's wishlist.

Instead of it being a trend I would rather it be because VC is a good development house and with proper time and money can put out some great titles.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:43 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

Madden is geeky-lame and Owner mode proves it. Cool MFers aren't gonna get down and play that geeky a$$ Owner mode. That's for sim geeks and I hope Sega/VC doesn't copy it into 2k5 cuz it's absolutly corny. Most people I know don't mess with the text based crap ala Owner mode and they ain't feelin Madden cuz Owner mode is basically what 2004 boils down to with the addtion of basically Max passing and Hot Routes(Playermaker). The fake a$$ directing blockers mess with a finger point(which I ain't never seen anyone do in the NFL while running is plain dumb. People are feelin ESPN this year with the FPF and The Crib(Not a mode) and tight gameplay. ESPN is gonna sell really well this year and mad people are gonna drop that Madden arcade geeky sh!t and get the realistic cool a$$ ESPN game.

Old 09-02-2003, 07:16 AM   #24
Pro

rastak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

dQbell said:
I say "Move over Madden" because it's time.

For several years now EA's Madden Football has been the top seller among its competitiors; however, this does not mean the game is the best in its class. I personally have a liking towards Sega's game. I feel Sega has done a better job of simulation football. They are not perfect, but I believe they are better.

However, it will not be the expertise in gameplay that will put ESPN NFL Football over the top. It will simply be current trend. Right now, ESPN is hipper than ever. They are fresh with uniqueness and ingenuity. With the flavor of Sportscenter and all of ESPN's personalities added to the mix, the game will be a sure hit among gamers. Really though, isn't it only natural? I mean, isn't Madden a bit of a bore these days? You can only do the "booms" and all the other Maddenisms for so long.

Sad but true, the bulk of gamers who purchase Madden Football and give their allegiance to the game, do so because it is the declared "top pick." And the masses that move over to ESPN's NFL Football will do so for the same reasons. That's just the way things operate in our culture. It's the same reasoning behind Britney Spears selling more albums than the girl who writes her own music and settles for her own voice to sing rather than computers assisting her. Britney is POP. And, so is Madden. But not for long...

Move over Madden.

I have to agree on the Madden on TV getting old, I much prefer listening to the ESPN Sunday nights guys. Madden and his pal Al are dull has heck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »