Home

Official Ol' School Gamers Thread

This is a discussion on Official Ol' School Gamers Thread within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2003, 11:59 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Official Ol\' School Gamers Thread

Anyone remember Odyssey 2 football? Competed with Atari's game back when the Atari 2600 was around, and IMO was a much better game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

nine0bison said:
Quote:

Heelfan71 said:
Intellivision Football was one of my favorites.

What about the game at the arcade with X's and O's, you had to use that roller ball to move the players.

Intellivision!!! I remember when I first played intellivision football, I thought it was the best thing going...then intellivision came out with super pro football, I thought that it couldn't get any better!

Yessah! Count me in on the Intellivision Bandwagon! Watching the screen scroll as you "ran" down the field for a TD! The money play? That quick screen pass to the WR at the top of the screen..
Old 09-04-2003, 12:33 PM   #27
Thread Killa

TecmoBowl's Arena

OVR: 13

Super Tecmo Bowl is the greatest football video game for its time EVER!

But then, I am biased.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

capa said:
Ok all you young 'uns...47 here, and before video games, you know what I did? Electric Football...yep, the vibrating board with little posed players. My friend and I were heavily into this back in the 70's. We ordered about 12 teams from Tudor, and they were already painted with real NFL uniforms. In fact, I was so anal, I painted the Afro Americans black because all the players back then came as white!

Anyway, we spent countless hours playing out our season with the teams. Each game took about 2 hours to play, and we modified the rules. No using the stupid passing QB that came with the game! We used a coin flip method depending on how far from LOS receiver was. For example, if receiver was 5 yards away, you only had to call 1 out of 5 flips correctly. If he was 10-20 yards, 2 out of 5, etc. If the pass was "conmpleted", thedefense could turn one man towards the receiver and then we started the game again. We had all kinds of rules based on probability (kicks, punts, etc).

It was great for its time...in fact, I bought another one when my son was about two 13 years ago, but it wasn't the same. Probably because I did not have the same patience level in having to set up all those guys after each play!!

We kept player stats in a notebook, and even played a Pro Bowl! It was great, and kept us off the streets on those cold, windy December days...

C

I had electric football from Tudor (infact I had a baseball one also, until my dog swallowed the magnet ball)
I remember being about 7 years old (1979) and paging through the catalog looking at all the teams, but I was stuck with the red (and yellow?) guys.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:27 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:

GTheorenHobbes said:
Anyone remember Odyssey 2 football? Competed with Atari's game back when the Atari 2600 was around, and IMO was a much better game.

Yup I still have my Odyessey2, it was my first console. I played that football alot along with baseball. Actually I have the Speech module that slid ontop of the Odyessey2 also!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #30
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Yea, Capa, I'm 44 and I used to play electric football. I used to get bored and repaint the players as different teams.
I remember being in Ohio visting relatives and all their games had the browns and bengals.
I too didn't use the quarterback. We used to use dice to determine the outcome. We had different levels for completion rates depending on how far you had to throw it. we also allowed one turn of the runner. You would stop the game and re-aim the player and at that time the defense was allowed to turn one defender. Hell, I was so anal I used to keep stats! Wow! those were the days!
Old 09-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

oh man the electric football game. that was insane. i only played a little bit of that. didn't have the patience to keep setting all the pieces.

my first football game was for the atari 2600. 3 on 3. you could control the football when you passed it. hillarious. tecmo bowl for nes was the next level in videogames for me. then madden for genesis. nfl2k1 for dreamcast. madden 2001 for ps2. and now ESPN Football for xbox. A new era. I love it!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2003, 04:02 PM   #32
MVP

I'm only 28 and we played electric football every sunday outside (even when it was cold). I remember those days. I had about 6 teams in one bag, separated of course. Also, ordering new teams was the longest wait. I think it was like 3-4 months to get a new team because they were all hand painted.

Maaan.... What ways we've come. My football era is ending with Madden and starting a new one with ESPN.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »