Home

Can someone explain to me WHY they play Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Can someone explain to me WHY they play Franchise Mode? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16
Can someone explain to me WHY they play Franchise Mode?

I have been playing games for years and years and have mostly enjoyed the console sports games rather than the text based sim games. I have always enjoyed controling my team ON the field.

I enjoy Season mode because I like to IMITATE a real current NFL season, with all of the players on their correct teams playing out what I see in the REAL NFL season.

I have NEVER played a Franchise mode in a video game as I never understood the attraction of playing with draft classes or players that don't exist or trading and cutting and retiring players that in reality are still in the NFL.

What am I missing?

Can someone tell me what they enjoy from Franchise and what makes it fun to play?

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 10:51 AM   #2
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Can someone explain to me WHY they play Franchise Mode?

Drafting a gem in the 5th or 6th round, then watching him defy all ratings issues and become a perennial Pro Bowler.

Taking that young player that you love on the *insert your team here* and elevating him to a starting role after the superstars retire, and having a stellar imaginary career (or not so stellar, I suppose).

It's just the "pretend game" of doing what you want with your team. I, for one, would permanently dismiss the legal team here in Oakland and abandon courtrooms...so at least this way I can pretend I win more contests on the field than in the courtroom.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

For me, I just enjoy the GM aspect of the game also. Re-signing players, Free Agents......It's like my own little world. Plus, I think it is fun to build a team that isn't very good into a contender.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #4
MVP

Klocker's Arena

so...player progresion?

Is it THAT obvious as you advance?

Asking 'cause I've never done it.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
MVP

Klocker's Arena

Quote:

Heelfan71 said:
For me, I just enjoy the GM aspect of the game also. Re-signing players, Free Agents......It's like my own little world. Plus, I think it is fun to build a team that isn't very good into a contender.

See, I have not given that a chance...the GM thing....seemed boring but I have NEVER tried it.

I need to try it out....I'm not a detail oriented person so maybe that's why it seemed tedious to me.
EDIT:
Although I will spend hours getting all the roster correct with the current players in the correct positions with the correct attributes and accessories.

Building a team of losers into a contender....now that sounds intriguing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I like to IMITATE several NFL seasons and the management of a NFL team. What happens when you complete one season of playing the Bears? Do you play another team or do you play another season of the Bears? I love the ability to take a not very good team and turn them into a very good team. I like the ability to develop the players I want and that I feel will develop into stars. I like B.J. Askew who is a fullback with the Jets, playing Franchise mode I can trade for B.J. Askew have him play the position I want him to with the team I want him to and even give him the opportunity the Jets may not give the guy.

I truly the believe that the heart and soul of a good football game is the "on the field" part of the game. That's personally why I'm going to try ESPN even tho I own Madden. But you see I'm greedy. I want to develop a Franchise and I want to have fun on the field.

Running a "fake" NFL franchise is very comparable to running a team in regular season. For example in the "real" NFL the Bears could be on 4th down with inches to go and [censored you naughty boy] Jauron likely won't go for it, but hell you are confident of your big guys up front and know that A-Train can gain inches so you go for it in the game. It's all about being in control. Maybe you pass more with the Dolphins than run, maybe you run more with the Rams than pass, or maybe just maybe you want to trade that old guy who is starting to slide for a young stud QB to turn your team into the Dynasty you deserve. Love those Broncos but just can't stand Jake the Snake, no need not to play the Broncos simply trade his *** for someone you DO like.

You asked what else is fun....making those players pay for their performance is hella fun. Get pissed because Stephan Davis fumbles in a game ending drive.....wanna do something about it?!? Franchise baby, all Franchise. Cut him, trade him, bottom line make sure he doesn't cost you the game again. Why play the real team, when you can play your team!

Multi-player Franchise is the way to go. Your buddy brags and brags about Jeremy Shockey so he trades several star players just to pick him up....only to have you lay the smack down on Shockey when you play head to head. Off the field is the planning, building process. On the field is where all those decisions make or break you.

Jackie
Old 09-05-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

Klocker2 said:
I enjoy Season mode because I like to IMITATE a real current NFL season, with all of the players on their correct teams playing out what I see in the REAL NFL season.

Well Franchise Mode allows people to immitate what their team does in the offseason as well...thus giving the game added longevtity well after the real nFL season is over with.

Quote:

Klocker2 said:
I have NEVER played a Franchise mode in a video game as I never understood the attraction of playing with draft classes or players that don't exist or trading and cutting and retiring players that in reality are still in the NFL..

Well in that case...you'll likely never understand Franchise Mode and why people enjoy it.

Quote:

Klocker2 said:

What am I missing?

Can someone tell me what they enjoy from Franchise and what makes it fun to play?

thanks

Thats tough because you seem so anti-franchise mode that I doubt anything anybody posts will convince you to feel differently. It seems you're asking us to sell you on Franchise Mode.

I'd suggest try it out for yourself and discover what you're missing. Your mind might change and it might not.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:04 AM   #8
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I'm gonna have fun taking the Lions and turning this young team into a contender...

In NCAA the dynasty mode is fun because you try and recruit the top players, but sometimes they don't pick you. It can be tough getting the positions you need, but fun as well.

I think I'd get kinda tired of playing single season after season with this year's NFL rosters, I like a little change, progression of players, trying to scope out the college kids in the draft. All the little things make it fun. However, if the gameplay isn't there all the franchise options in the world don't make the game fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »