Home

Kicking like it's 1960

This is a discussion on Kicking like it's 1960 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

OVR: 5
Kicking like it\'s 1960

Why are the kickoff animations the old style kick that disappeared in the 1970's? Jan Stenerud of the KC Chiefs first started using the soccer style kick in the early 1970's and basically everyone since has used a soccer style kick. So why does ESPN use the ancient straight-ahead toe-kick style that hasn't been around in 30 years? They don't use it for field goals and extra points, it's correct there, but if you watch the kicker on kickoffs, he's kicking it the old style. He does line up off to the side of the ball, but he kicks it from head on, not soccer style.

It would be cool if this was something implemented for classic teams, but the fact remains that no one has kicked this way in over 30 years because it's not as effective of a technique.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Kicking like it\'s 1960

Old 09-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

Heelfan, since we're not mind readers, are you saying you agree because you've also noticed it and am slightly annoyed by it?

Other than that I can't find any real flaws with the game, that's why I wondered why there was one so obvious. I haven't played as much as some of the guys on here, but I like what I see....except for when someone's kicking off lol.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Quote:

mazhirui said:
Why are the kickoff animations the old style kick that disappeared in the 1970's? Jan Stenerud of the KC Chiefs first started using the soccer style kick in the early 1970's and basically everyone since has used a soccer style kick. So why does ESPN use the ancient straight-ahead toe-kick style that hasn't been around in 30 years? They don't use it for field goals and extra points, it's correct there, but if you watch the kicker on kickoffs, he's kicking it the old style. He does line up off to the side of the ball, but he kicks it from head on, not soccer style.

It would be cool if this was something implemented for classic teams, but the fact remains that no one has kicked this way in over 30 years because it's not as effective of a technique.

From one graphics hound to another (apparantly) I hear ya.
I never knew what it was though. I was thinking it was just that he doesn't follow through with a little "stumble" animation. They add all these new animations and I guess they just feel that isn't important or they missed it. I also think that the kicker drops his arm too slow. We're gonna get flamed for this thread!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

mazhirui said:

Good point, but aren't you being just a TAD nit picky? Just a tad? Excellent presentation, gameplay, etc. yet you choose to give a dissertation on the history of the soccer style kick?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

Haha, no, I'm not trying to blast the game! I like it, and this animation wasn't in the game last year (or if it was, it wasn't as obvious, because I never noticed it). That's why I'm wondering why it's there this year. It's almost like they had some intern doing the animation for that who wasn't a football fan and used game film from 1960 to see how kickers kick a football.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:11 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

I love ESPN, but this bothers me also. The guys line up almost in line with the ball, same problem as last year. Yes it is nit picky, but I don't know why they keep a messed up animation like this, it is clearly wrong. Maybe next year.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

mazhirui said:
Haha, no, I'm not trying to blast the game! I like it, and this animation wasn't in the game last year (or if it was, it wasn't as obvious, because I never noticed it). That's why I'm wondering why it's there this year. It's almost like they had some intern doing the animation for that who wasn't a football fan and used game film from 1960 to see how kickers kick a football.

I hear ya. I was really only joking. VC is funny that way to me. They seem to get lax sometimes on some details.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »