Home

Official Word on ESPN NFL Football 720p

This is a discussion on Official Word on ESPN NFL Football 720p within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:58 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Official Word on ESPN NFL Football 720p

Quote:

CaCo666 said:
this is a bunch of bull$hit!!!

and as promised, my copy is getting returned.

And who are you hurting VC or yourself? VC will still get credit for the sale buddy. You'll get your money back but will be missing out on a great game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 8

I'll take that bet.

Having worked in the software field for 14 years now, I know how the release process works. The code is almost always the long pole in any release schedule. Box art, documentation, and any other materials besides the CD are usually sent to the duplicator weeks before the master CD is ready for duplication. This allows the factory floor to assemble the kits without the CD, so when the CD's are ready to roll, it's a matter of popping them in the case.

I'd put my money on the fact that the feature was pulled for a good reason, and somebody forgot about the artwork. Or maybe they did realize the problem, but then they would have 2 choices:

1) Delay shipping so they could correct the artwork
2) Exhaust the original supply of cases, and make the correction in the subsequent builds.

I know if I was the Project Manager, I'd pick option 2. Sure, you're gonna take some heat from the minority of people who were looking forward to that feature, but you'd be making the right business decision. And personally, I want them to make the right business decision, because I want to see this franchise give Madden a run for it's money.

I'm not trying to say that it isn't a big deal. I guess if I had spent the extra dough on an HDTV thinking the upcoming games would have support for it I'd be chapped too. They made a mistake, and believe me, they are paying for it. I just don't want to lose sight of the fact that they put out quite an awesome game.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

They made a mistake, and believe me, they are paying for it. I just don't want to lose sight of the fact that they put out quite an awesome game.

Exactly, I think we are losing site of the most important thing about this game.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:19 PM   #28
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

PadresFan104 said:
I'll take that bet.

Having worked in the software field for 14 years now, I know how the release process works. The code is almost always the long pole in any release schedule. Box art, documentation, and any other materials besides the CD are usually sent to the duplicator weeks before the master CD is ready for duplication. This allows the factory floor to assemble the kits without the CD, so when the CD's are ready to roll, it's a matter of popping them in the case.

I'd put my money on the fact that the feature was pulled for a good reason, and somebody forgot about the artwork. Or maybe they did realize the problem, but then they would have 2 choices:

1) Delay shipping so they could correct the artwork
2) Exhaust the original supply of cases, and make the correction in the subsequent builds.

I know if I was the Project Manager, I'd pick option 2. Sure, you're gonna take some heat from the minority of people who were looking forward to that feature, but you'd be making the right business decision. And personally, I want them to make the right business decision, because I want to see this franchise give Madden a run for it's money.

I'm not trying to say that it isn't a big deal. I guess if I had spent the extra dough on an HDTV thinking the upcoming games would have support for it I'd be chapped too. They made a mistake, and believe me, they are paying for it. I just don't want to lose sight of the fact that they put out quite an awesome game.

Well I just have the crappy version of the game (480i ) so I'm not emotionally involved, but I'd say this is the most plausible explanation and quite reasonable albeit, unfortunate.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:20 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

And who are you hurting VC or yourself? VC will still get credit for the sale buddy. You'll get your money back but will be missing out on a great game.

I’m not trying to hurt VC, I hope they continue to make great games. I will buy next year’s version that will hopefully run at 720p. However, I’m not that great of a football fan, actually more of a hockey fan. I will simply return this for ESPN NHL Hockey. Incidentally, the Hockey title doesn’t support 720p, nor widescreen. That’s a title they really fuc|<ed up, considering last year’s version at least has widescreen support. Oh well, I’m very disappointed with SEGA this year.

Last year’s NFL2K3 version is decent enough. Sure, gameplay might be a little better this year, but it’s essentially the same mechanics, nothing revolutionary so to speak. I was getting it ONLY because of the 720p support. Oh wow, I’m missing out on the fuc|<ing crib!!! They shoulda trashed all this crib bull$it and focused on 720p, ‘cuz honestly that would have put this title light years ahead of Madden.

Anyway, I feel let down big time. And also ‘cuz those pu$$ies at VC don’t have the guts to show their faces around here or any other board. As for their own website, my niece can code better than that on her 386. Cowards I tell you, we’ve been lied to.

And for all you people who don’t even have an HDTV setup, no need to comment on how we can just look past this. For us who do bother dropping some cash on this stuff, based on the promise that it will be taken advantage of by some XBOX titles, we feel cheated when crap like this goes down.

VC KNEW this game would ship without 720p support and they KNEW this game would be bought by some based on that feature alone. And those SNEAKY bastards DELIBERATELY did not inform the gaming community this feature was taken out. KNOWING that some reviews had already praised the game’s visuals at 720p. It was touted and advertised as such, and in the end they deceived us in order to make a buck.

Sorry I’m so angry, I was just really, really looking forward to this feature.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:35 PM   #30
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

If it WAS in the works, then the 720p should be completed and sent out to gamers who are adement about it. just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

steveo said:
Another thing to people who may say "the game looks fine in 480p. it is no big deal" maybe for you it isn't but for guys like me who play games on 8 FOOT WIDE screens, the higher res is ALWAYS welcome. ESPN in 480p looks good on the big screen but I strongly believe 720p would have been phenomenal.

This is my reasoning for 720p. On an 8 FOOT wide screen, Espn 480p looks ok. But at 720p, it would be phenomenal. Having NBA 2k3, WSB, and Tony Hawk 4 at 720p significantly increases the enjoyment factor. It's obvious those that say "get over it" have never seen a 720p game yet alone on an 8 foot wide screen. For Sega to tout this feature, send out copies with it enabled, making those that can utilize excited and then removing it would be like:
Buying an $80,000 BMW M5 think you were going to get a 400HP V-8 but then taking delivery of it and finding a four cylinder!!!
Of course ESPN football will play the same way no matter what resolution. The business practice of Sega and VC are absolutely sickening. To actually send out emails saying that 720p was never intended and nobody has a copy with 720p when we know that isn't true.
Peace
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 07:10 PM   #32
Pro

kirkangil's Arena

OVR: 7

Hey you never know it could be legit after all it says on the back of the box that it dosent support custom soundtracks and it does so at least they put that in. I know some people dont care but thats cool to me.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »