Home

Sliders are the cause for the bad DB AI

This is a discussion on Sliders are the cause for the bad DB AI within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Sliders are the cause for the bad DB AI

Okay let's me say this,

Finally over slider modification has it's first victum. I went back to the drawing board to see what was wrong.

First off this is just going back to non modified sliders. If you can complete a post/flag on Legend mode you are a baller. Something happens when you change it from legend to custom or all-pro to custom.

Second problem is the unlogical use of the sliders. In madden left means bad, right mean good. Here it's weird and something that's confusing to me and maybe you as well. (Was the same in NFL 2k3). If you move the sliders forward for humans then logically you should get the advantage. However the game plays much harder using default legend then it does using Bill A's sliders. I dont' know the reason but I think that some of the attributes for the players are affected in legend mode and not in Custom.

Or the fact that let's say you up passing and catching for the CPU, then that should only affect those two areas. However, take a comparision of Bill's sliders and the legend and you'll see that everything is an advantage to the CPU so they can stop the passing game. Yet they seem to paly extremely stupid.

To sum it up, I don't know exactly what to make of the sliders. There's no possible explanation why custom sliders play easier than Legend sliders. Or we just don't understand the mechanics of these sliders.

Just a thought, I don't have a solution yet becuase I don't know what's going on. More testing is needed, but it's eveident that custom sliders make the Pass AI very weak.

To test out this theory, go to the practice field or situation mode so you can quickly be the human team. Try post/flag routes as those seem the easiest to complete with Custom sliders. Then switch over to Legend and you'll see that the CPU is very quick to the ball and either will play smarter or get jumps on the player to make a tackle and jar the ball.

Legend is the way to go but it seems any modification of any kind ruins the DB AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Sliders are the cause for the bad DB AI

WSB 2K3 has the same problem... gee, no wonder why NFL 2K3's custom maximum sliders were easier than just using pro...

I hope that next year they change this.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

JRod said:
Okay let's me say this,

Finally over slider modification has it's first victum. I went back to the drawing board to see what was wrong.

First off this is just going back to non modified sliders. If you can complete a post/flag on Legend mode you are a baller. Something happens when you change it from legend to custom or all-pro to custom.

Second problem is the unlogical use of the sliders. In madden left means bad, right mean good. Here it's weird and something that's confusing to me and maybe you as well. (Was the same in NFL 2k3). If you move the sliders forward for humans then logically you should get the advantage. However the game plays much harder using default legend then it does using Bill A's sliders. I dont' know the reason but I think that some of the attributes for the players are affected in legend mode and not in Custom.

Or the fact that let's say you up passing and catching for the CPU, then that should only affect those two areas. However, take a comparision of Bill's sliders and the legend and you'll see that everything is an advantage to the CPU so they can stop the passing game. Yet they seem to paly extremely stupid.

To sum it up, I don't know exactly what to make of the sliders. There's no possible explanation why custom sliders play easier than Legend sliders. Or we just don't understand the mechanics of these sliders.

Just a thought, I don't have a solution yet becuase I don't know what's going on. More testing is needed, but it's eveident that custom sliders make the Pass AI very weak.

To test out this theory, go to the practice field or situation mode so you can quickly be the human team. Try post/flag routes as those seem the easiest to complete with Custom sliders. Then switch over to Legend and you'll see that the CPU is very quick to the ball and either will play smarter or get jumps on the player to make a tackle and jar the ball.

Legend is the way to go but it seems any modification of any kind ruins the DB AI.

I've noticed this too Jrod. But I cannot play on Legend mode straight up. The CPU runs all over me with impunity. Not quite sure what to make of it.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

J Rod at this Point I'll try it. I am willing to do it I just will have to work on running the ball on this level. Thats the hardest part of legend But Maybe you are right it makes since maybe the modification screws up the AI coding
Old 09-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 17

Addendum:

The slider's seem to work in a balance system. Don't ask if I even have this right.

Here's what I did.
Bill's sliders
Bucs v Raiders
Custom Sliders in situation mode.

Flush Package : Quads Formation : 50 Double Cross the Play

If you have the human covering slider all the way right it seems to make it easier to get passes. If fact it's like an invisible wall for your guys. The DB's are just stupid.

All the way left and you'll have a hard time getting to the ball. Or the DB will make a better play.

I'm only adjusting the Human Covering. CPU Coverage is all the way right.

I think there's a balance system adn Sega Sports for some reason loves this. If you have the human coverage all the way right and CPU coverage all the way right it's like nothing is going on. I don't know if it works like a see-saw where if you have one slider at 25 and the CPU slider of the same attribute at 25 it negates each other. Or if the sliders affect both teh CPU and Human play. In this case of coverage by making the slider 0, the Human Coverage by the CPU is better. So attributes are tied to each other. A low human passing slider will make it difficult to throw but make it easier for the CPU to throw.

If you look at the the way ESPN sets up it's sliders they seem to work off a 100% system. On Rookie the human gets 100% of the attribute. On all pro it's 50/50. On legeng it's about 30/70. So for effective slider changing in this game you have to make the values add up to 100%. So let's say you want to make tackling for humans better. You would up human tackling to 70% and lower CPU tackling to 30%.

However once again there's a problem, if it works in a see saw manner, then that only attacks one side of the problem.

I don't know more testing it needed.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 05:59 PM   #6
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

human coverage at 0 and cpu at 40 and its been working for you. I'll give this a try too
Old 09-05-2003, 06:19 PM   #7
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

That's a sweet little observation JRod. When I get home I'll have to check that out as well
Old 09-05-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Very interesting. I played my 1st game today and did not notice anything wrong with the game but that's becvause I've been playing str8 up all-pro. Problem is it seemed a little too easy though. Might have eventually to only play on Legend.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »