Home

First Person Mode Tips

This is a discussion on First Person Mode Tips within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
First Person Mode Tips

I have been playing FPM alot lately and thought I'd share some tips that help me alot. If anyone else has some please post them.

Playing CB.

At first playing CB is a bit akward because 1. you have to worry about the speed of your CB in relation to who he is covering. 2. By default your players head is fixed on the ball instead of who he is suppose to cover. You must hold the white button down(x-box) to keep his head fixed on who he is covering and let go to look back at where the ball is. I feel this should be the other way around but none the less it is very doable.

Generally while practicing I have been calling defenses that have no safety help so that I am in man 1 on 1 with who I am responsible for. Once you get a feel for the speed diffrence between your CB and who he checks, you can gauge how far off or close up you want to play the WR pre-snap. I tend to keep by CB in a position pre-snap where he can see the center and the man he is suppose to check. When the ball is snapped I start to drop back and leave my head fixed on the ball long enough to see if its gonna be a run while also trying to keep the WR in front of me. Once I know its a pass I hold the white button to keep my eyes fixed on the WR. I also try to keep him in front of me. Once the WR makes his cut If I cant see the QB any longer I release the white button long enough to ge a bearing on where he is(or where the ball is) If the ball is coming toward my WR I run towards the ball and pull the left trigger to swat the ball. At first I was getting burnt alot because I was getting my self out of position or letting the WR get behind me. NOW with alot of practice, I am covering so good that the QB seldom throws my way.

I love this game.

As for Passing, what I do is I let the QB drop back on his own and I look at the threat meter to determine if anyone is coming from my blind side. The trick is not to panick and trust your offensive line. I dont move the QB during the drop back, I spend that time looking at what the safties and LB are doing so I can determine who will be open(hopefully) At this point I am only moving the right analog stick to survey the field. I see red on one side of the threat meter, then i run opposite that, If I see it on both sides I haul tail forward and try and find some blocks for the scramble. Again this takes alot of practice and you gotta be fearless in the pocket. Once you get a feel for the speed of things you will be completing alot of passes as long as you make the right reads. I am at the point now I dont even use that slow down button. If you have it set where after you throw the ball you switch to the WR, its best to let the WR catch the ball himself then after he catches it if you can run..****N. This mode is alot of fun once you get it down.

On kickoffs I have found that when running down field and the blockers come to block you, if you hit the left or right trigger, you can throw the blocker off you and go attack the ball carrier.

Running the ball is easy, just follow your blockers and pay attention to the threat meter....always run away from the red side.

I hope this helps some people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
MVP

Brian_OS's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: First Person Mode Tips

To add to this, I turned off switch to the receiver after the pass. I am also digging FPM, nothing is better then nailing some half back head on at full speed, or sacking the QB. They did a great job on FPM. It reminds me of Joe Montanna Football for the sega CD, except it is done a hell of a lot better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »