Home

My impression after about 30 games.

This is a discussion on My impression after about 30 games. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #33
*t's * 'B*rgh Th*ng!

OVR: 4
Re: My impression after about 30 games.

Quote:

cbluejays said:
Also, everyone was hyping the animations so much...I really haven't noticed anything special about them yet...they don't seem really that varied (once again, I have only played a few games), and some just seem awkward. One that really stands out is the one-armed tackle that always happens...where the guy seems to closeline the ballcarrier, and he falls straight back. Also, the one where the Defensive back turns his back to the ball when it's thrown his way, instead of trying to make a play on it...

I just picked up ESPN Saturday afternoon and have played a few games with it so far.

You haven't noticed ANY improvements with the animations? I'm one of the six people that bought NCAA 2k3 (and probably one of three people that still have it.) I fired up NCAA 2k3, and it just feels so primitive. Remember, it was based on the NFL 2k2 engine. We're talking light years of difference here. In TWO years.

I think the animations are excellent this year. I notice passing is still a little easy this year. I had quite a bit of success passing in NFL 2k3, actually. But, so far, so good. The game is incredibly deep.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:52 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

griffy97 said:

You haven't noticed ANY improvements with the animations?

I didn't own Madden or NFL2k3 last year (although I did rent each of them), so I didn't play them enough to notice improvements...I don't really have anything to compare the animations to, except what I thought they'd be like after reading about how great they were on this forum...so maybe my expectation were just too high, or off...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:55 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

DSpezzano said:
Wow, um I did state it was my opinion. I guess it's ok to start a thread about impression as long as they are all positive huh.

Unfortunately that does appear to be the case for ESPN Football

If your thread was another "Greatest FB Game Ever" thread none of these guys would be complaining about another "impressions" thread

ESPN FB is the only FB game I have bought this year and I do like it alot. But it is far from perfect. Unfortunately *some* people here seems to take it personally when anyone points out a flaw. Maybe it is because they are too emotionally wrapped up in this EA vs. Sega nonsense

Anyway, weirdest thing I saw was the 49'ers passing up a 42 yard field goal in the 3rd quarter (1 mph wind) when my Bears had a 13-7 lead on them. Even the announcer made fun of them for punting from my 25 yard line

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #36
*t's * 'B*rgh Th*ng!

Quote:

cbluejays said:
Quote:

griffy97 said:

You haven't noticed ANY improvements with the animations?

I didn't own Madden or NFL2k3 last year (although I did rent each of them), so I didn't play them enough to notice improvements...I don't really have anything to compare the animations to, except what I thought they'd be like after reading about how great they were on this forum...so maybe my expectation were just too high, or off...

Well, NFL 2k3 had decent animations, but this year they are much better. I don't know if your expectations are too high. We're in an age where we expect a lot out of these games. $50 a pop, right?

I also think Fever has some decent animations and pretty solid momentum, but very few people would probably agree with me on that.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:18 AM   #37
Rookie

Broken tackles: Tackling isn't automatic anymore

Superman tackles don't work any more and if your a vet of the series accustom to diving early(superman) learn to get right up on the ball carrier before attempting the tackle. He may break 1-2 tackles but that is REAL. Also (charge up) for a stronger tackle cuz that helps a lot.

Passing: Take it off of PRO and play on LEGEND

Against good teams and you won't be completing 60% of your passes and probly not even 50%. The passing game is perfect so I don't see the problem.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 AM   #38
*t's * 'B*rgh Th*ng!

Quote:

dano said:
Good post. I am a long time madden owner who came to this site to learn more about Sega. I know every problem with Madden and when these things affect gameplay then I get pissed. I want to know if Sega will give me a better game. From what i have read the game is great except for a couple of things like the flag route. I am also 37 and enjoy realistic gameplay. I am starting to thing that Sega is for children because many of their users can handle any criticism. I will still buy Sega just to see. But if i know i can run a flag pattern every down then that is horrible. People write "don't run the flag pattern every down". OK, so when should i run it? once a game, twice a game? 3rd and long? how can you honestly say this does not affect gameplay. My point is that they guy is just rying to say his opinion and I appreciate thos saying not only what is great about sega but what is also bad.

Dano, I hear ya.

I'm 34 and a long time sports gamer. I've always loved Sega sports games and have played them since the Genesis. Sometimes, I think Sega fans (I admit, I'm one of them) get so tired of EA Sports outselling, out-marketing, out-doing Sega at every level they will defend Sega's product no matter what.

I still have my Dreamcast (plus 45 games), including arguably the greatest football game of its time, NFL 2k1. There was nothing like it, ever. Except for the out pattern. Talk about money in the bank! I didn't go looking for it, but once I realized I could hit that play just about anytime I wanted, I used it over and over. Well, I also got tired of the game. So, yeah, these "money" plays are issues and once they're exploited the chess match is over.

Many players on these boards LOVE sliders. Personally, I can take them or leave them. People become obsessed with them. Now, in the few games I played, I didn't consistently have enough time in the pocket to hit the flag pattern constantly.

Hang in there with Sega, bud. Good products. Fun games. They all have issues. Sega's just the underdog and always will be. Hence, the defensiveness.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 AM   #39
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:

DSpezzano said:
Quote:

HMcCoy said:
Here's something to think about.

When a second tackler hits a runner who is already engaged, he not only opens his arms to encompass the pile, but his momentum and direction affects the pile. This makes ESPN football the first game in history that actually makes the second tackler responsible for bringing down the ball carrier. Previously, you could dive at a runner being tackled and pretend you were affecting it, but the tackle was pre-scripted so you really don't.(Thanks RicoLaguna) Thats why single tackles are broken so easily. So like real football you have to swarm ballcarriers and flow to the ball. Instead of complaining, try to enjoy whats good.

Yes it is very impressive in that it does that. But are you going to tell me that one on one tackles don't happen often? Did you watch any of the games today, they happen all the time. They are in fact rare in this game unless you tone things way down and even then they aren't all that common.

Is it a problem, not really. Is it a quirk (the word I used in my original post for things that annoy me) I think so.

I agree witcha'. Robert Griffith stuffed Edgerinn James for a loss solo. The problem is that to tackle someone solo, you have to cut there legs from under em. There are hella tackle animations but not many solid low hits (which is strange because there were many in 2K3). This is partially due to the fact that you kinda have to "dive" at ones legs to pull this off but because of the MASSIVE complaints, Sega drastcally reduced the diving range. Most of the tackles now are up high and you simply cannot bring down an NFL back if you hit him above the waist. I'm toying with lowering every back in the game's Break Tackle rating by 20 or so.....Hmmmmm... Now that I think about it, I'm gonna go to practice mode and test the tackling to see if we are all getting to close to the back before we hit the dive. More space should create a lower angle and maybe less broken tackles...
Old 09-08-2003, 12:43 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

the problem is when you post a one-sided post just complaining then most espn fans feel you should just go buy another game because every game will forever have flaws its all about the flaws that you can deal with, as long as there is a human programmed game there will be flaws so just take the game back and then go on the madden boards and complain about its flaws, because most of the ppl that have espn from what i see are pretty happy including myself. so if you constantly look for flaws and cheap plays guess what? thats what youll find. and you must be the greatest player of all if you can complete all of your passes on legend... wow!. anyway stop complaining and play the game. its the best game on the market no question and if its not the best game ever made name one that was better because ive pretty much played them all back to commodore 64 and atari 2600 football that only had 6 players on the field! ITS DEFINETELY BETTER THAN ANY MADDEN CREATED!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »