Home

My unbiased criticism and how it weighs against Madden...

This is a discussion on My unbiased criticism and how it weighs against Madden... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
My unbiased criticism and how it weighs against Madden...

After owning both games and playing them both extensively I am ready to break it down and give my goods and bads.

Fact: ESPN is the better FOOTBALL game.
Fact: Madden is the better football GAME.

That being said, there are so many small annoying glitches, bugs, bad programming etc...you've got to wonder at what point does all the small things add up to equal that of a more polished, less real game.

Franchise:

I think the franchise mode in 2k4 is a complete joke and not even fun. It's done horribly, I hate how much of a pain it is to scout kids, when I am scouting QB's I want to stay scouting QBs not go back to the "general list". (Those of you with the game know what Im talking about, or played it last year, it was just as bad). The franchise mode overall leaves much to be desired. Not to mention the fact that the whole email system is garbage. Do I really have to see that "Bad News Out of Seattle" email EVERY week that Shaun Alexander is out for 10 weeks. For EVERY injured player it seems?? (Not really everyone but at least 10 or so). It gets very annoying and just clogs up the screen. That same EMAIL system delivers promise however, I like that they show opponent scouting reports even though they are inaccurate, if you check the league stats the numbers just dont add up.

FRANCHISE - Madden vs. ESPN = Madden by an absolute slaughter.

Audio/Eye Candy:
I know Madden is horrible, but you hear the guy say "So and So" didnt want to become the spam in the kicking squads sandwich on that play, after every fair catch call. That being said, the atmosphere is worlds better in 2k4. Showing the crowd is a neat touch but do I really have to see those cheerleaders with video game breasts jigglin' (nice touch ) smiling for 5 seconds after every quarter?? Again, its the little things.

Audio - Madden vs. ESPN = ESPN wins this bout, but not because its good, but because Madden is so horrible.

Gameplay:

Now this is where 2k4 shines, and annoys. The gameplay is better then Madden and thats a fact. Anyone who tells you different does not know real football. Seeing the way both the defensive and offensive lines react to each other is poetry in motion. The way the pocket forms and pocket QBs have to step up to avoid the sack is incredible. In 2k4 you can take control of any player on the defensive side and control them with skill. Wanna play the corner?? Feel free to try and lock up the best of the best. The pass play pull out cam makes this work almost perfectly. You can actually play as a linebacker and make plays, in Madden you either play the line or get smoked somehow. But the little annoyances are plentiful. The challenge system is done way better then Madden in which you have the ability to pick what you are challenging. However I've seen alot of plays that shouldn't have been completions or fumbles but they are still called and upheld. I think ESPN has a big problem with getting the two feet inbounds call. I've seen a player get neither foot in bounds and have the refs call it complete, after the review it was still a completed pass.

GAMEPLAY Madden vs. ESPN - 2k4, easily but it will still give you fits.

OVERALL = Push, it all depends on your preference. If your into franchise mode, which I am fully. Then Madden is your game, ESPN doesnt even compare. But if you want to play a true football game, with true football plays and AI then ESPN Football is your poison.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: My unbiased criticism and how it weighs against Madden...

I tried to challenge a funble in ESPN and there was no such challenge!! Now I love both games but if there is no fumble challenge thats a BIG screw up. Did I just miss it or what?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:

VenomEB said:
I tried to challenge a funble in ESPN and there was no such challenge!! Now I love both games but if there is no fumble challenge thats a BIG screw up. Did I just miss it or what?

In one of my games, Moss got popped just as he touched the ball and then the other team fell on it...ref called it a fumble. I challenged that it was not a fumble but an incomplete pass and won. Was your situation like that?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Sleeper said:
Quote:

VenomEB said:

In one of my games, Moss got popped just as he touched the ball and then the other team fell on it...ref called it a fumble. I challenged that it was not a fumble but an incomplete pass and won. Was your situation like that?

I won a spot of the ball challenge last night. I think they did a pretty good job with this.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21

i've had a couple of incomplete/fumble challenges as well. Love the challenges this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

I have had several too. One was a fumble by the QB was over turned and ruled an incomplete pass.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've won some challenges and lost some challenges. On 3rd and 2 plays I've pushed forward for what I thought was a first down only to have it challenged and become 4th and inches. Baaahhhh, so frustrating but yet so cool!

Challenge system in ESPN has been great for me. Nothing weird.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
P*ng

OVR: 10

the comparison is unfair....Madden WEIGHS a ton....i think its all those turkey legs

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »