Home

A theory...what do you think?

This is a discussion on A theory...what do you think? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
A theory...what do you think?

I've always had this theory that the key to making any football game "realistic" lies more in editing player attributes than it does tweaking sliders. I have spent about a thousand hours editing both classic and regular teams in Madden, and to be honest, have gotten some very realistic and acceptable stats.

The sliders, whether in this game or Madden, can make you nuts. They seem perfect for 3 games and then you blow out the number 1 and 2 teams and you start wondering and the tweaking begins again. I found I get more consistent results by editing the players. Some are just supermen who obviously need adjusting. But I have also gone as far as to adjust base ratings as well.

In other words, maybe a game has defensive linemen speed in the 50's and 60's, and in reality should be ranked in the 40's and 50's for today's players, and perhaps even the 30"s and 40's for classic players. There often isn't a good "base" to work with, and to re-adjust this is just brutal which is why people stay away from it.

But as someone who has done so, I tell you it makes the game so much better...whether this one or Madden. You take away alot of the parity found in the ratings and you start to see big differences between average players and stars.

Anyway, wanted to pony that up. It's not something anyone will take on and do, but I was offering an alternative of a sort. One reason why every game should come with a full-blown player editor where you could make global changes based on certain criteria (yeah...right). If we only had an editor like DangerZ made for High Heat!!

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2003, 07:48 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: A theory...what do you think?

yes, but I am not wasting any more time on sliders or ratings. I just want to play and have fun. I have a headache from thinking about sliders too much.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: A theory...what do you think?

The problem you are going to face whenever you adjust actual player ratings in a franchise is that after your first season is complete and a new group of players come into the league, it imbalances the exetremities in talent level between the rookies and the previously edited players

It's simply not worth all the trouble if your going to do all that work for one season out of an entire franchise

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »