Home

A Question for Madden Converts

This is a discussion on A Question for Madden Converts within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: A Question for Madden Converts

What about franchise mode? Do you miss not being able to import the real college players? That always gave Madden decent replay value. That's one thing i'm not sure about. Also, i wasn't pleased with 2k3's running game. Do you all feel that running is improved and fun? I'm not much for on-line play, so i don't factor that in. If someone has both games, tell me what ESPN does better/worse than Madden.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Well I have all 3, so I can't call myself a Maddenite, or a 'convert'. I love all three games for very different reasons. It just depends what you're looking for. The people that are more drawn to Madden tend to tire of ESPN after a few days, that being said I would recommend renting it. If after a few days you love ESPN, then you should buy it. ESPN is the king of atmosphere, presentation, etc. However Madden plays a very solid game of football and it's statisticl accuracy and franshise mode is unparalelled (granted you MUST tweak the sliders). For me I prefer NCAA over both of them, but that's just personal preference.

In short, if you can afford all of 'em, go that route. If you're a long time Madden player, rent ESPN and put it to the test. I have played Madden since 1991 on the Amiga and I bought a Dreamcast because of NFL2K. I am happy with both games and it seems every other week I alternate cuz I like em for different reasons.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 6

I love all 3 as well. I used to be an EA Man exclusively but couldn't help but give ESPN a shot this year and I'm glad I did. I love the 1st Person mode. All 3 have their strengths.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
Pro

Chodite24's Arena

I own all 3 also but find myself playing ESPN 90% of the time. I'd call myself a Madden convert also.... I've never been fond of the 2K series until this year. I can't stop playing it.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:50 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 8

well i'll give an opinion from someone who tried espn but hasn't been able to get into it. while i love, repeat love, the presentation and graphics, i feel like the players move really weird in espn. this sets up for gameplay that just doesn't feel smooth. i played espn for about a week straight trying to get used to the different "feel", but i just couldn't. went back to madden and found it to play better, but i really miss the polish of the presentation in espn. what i'll probably do is play a few seasons with madden just to import my draft classes, while still throwing in an espn game here and there. i agree to those who say rent espn first, especially if you are a long time madden player. it's a great game, but for some it is just lacking a bit of smoothness that you can get in madden.

brian
Old 09-11-2003, 02:58 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17

I have played Madden since the first game came out 14 years ago I think. Rented ESPN 2004 and took Madden back the next day. There is No comparison. I don't need an owners mode. I do need a CPU that tries to run the ball and ESPN 2004 runs the ball to well sometimes. A nice problem to have for a change.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #15
Pro

Chodite24's Arena

i also never knew what people meant by Madden's "pinball" running game.... now I know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #16
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I used to be a Madden-exclusive guy, but that all changed the day I rented NFL 2k2 for PS2, just out of curiousity.

I didn't end up purchasing NFL 2k2, but it was good enough for me to keep my eye on the series and draw some comparisons with Madden. Madden 2003 was my favorite football game until NFL 2k3 came out. I rented it multiple times, trying to convince my friends to like it as now I was fed up with the way defense played in Madden. I bought the game anyway, but I always played solo (all my friends are Madden [censored you naughty boy], you see.)

Then, Madden 2004 comes out. Naturally, I buy it because a) it was the first pro football game out and b) all my friends and I played Madden 2003, so what was wrong with 2004? In hindsight, that was probably the biggest waste of $50 I ever made. I haven't touched Madden since a week before ESPN came out. Major disappointment in my opinion, but others do not think so and I respect their opinions.

Finally, after an eternity of waiting, ESPN comes out. I rent it, as I did not have $50 on my hands yet. I can now safely say that this is the best football game I have ever played, and I probably won't go back to Madden unless drastic changes are made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »