Home

My opinion on why alot of Madden fans wont convert or even try 2K.

This is a discussion on My opinion on why alot of Madden fans wont convert or even try 2K. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18
My opinion on why alot of Madden fans wont convert or even try 2K.

I think that alot of Madden fans don't want to try the "other game" out there because of all of the NFL Gameday A$$hats that spammed about Gameday being better in the early days. Alot of Madden fans just got sick of hearing about the "my game is better than your game" rants and now that 989 and Gameday is off the map Madden fans don't want to "betray" EA again (if they did so in the first place). I'll be honest, I couldn't stand 2K for the first two years simply because of all of the spamming that the 2K fans would do. I think that if 2K fans want to bring Madden fans over to the "dark side of the force" we need to personally invite our friends who are Madden fans over to play for a while and that is the only real way to introduce them to the gaming heaven that is ESPN. I got my 2 Madden buds over yesterday and we played ESPN for about 1 hour, they got sick of it and we popped in Madden and played for about an hour, then we popped in ESPN again and they finally "GOT IT". In other words, they have to make the decision for themselves and no amount of spamming about "this game better than another" will change anyone's mind.

Tip of the Day: Spammers and Trolls suck.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: My opinion on why alot of Madden fans wont convert or even try 2K.

Yeah, I've done that with a couple of my friends and now they love ESPN. One didn't even like football and just recently he's started coming around to enjoy football too, so I'm happy about that.

I think a lot of the problem is that in the past I don't believe 2k has offered itself to those people who don't like to punt on 4th down. With 2k3's D being pretty good. Talking with some people at work I was surprised that not too many people like to play real football. "4th and 15, oh why not, lets just go for it." I think this type of attitude and the high powered offenses you get out of Madden also help to contribute to Madden always being the popular game.

The final thing I would say that really contributes to Sega not catching on is that it generally takes a couple of games to get use to it. There's a bit of a learning curve (less of one this year now that the game is so similar to Madden) but many people will play the game once and hate it (or think they hate it) because they don't know how to actually play it, and don't feel like it's worth their time to actually learn.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:35 AM   #3
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Oh Lord.

Out of all the people I expect to see starting a thread that will inevitably lead to a flamewar...

You two? I guess I could see the Donkey fan doing it, but Fetter? What has the Raider Nation become...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Did you let them win? My friends hated ESPN because I beat them 42 to 0 by the end of the 1st half. There need to be sliders for both players in the game. Kinda like those sliders in fighting games were you can make one player better and another worst.

I should've just them play the CPU on Pro.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #5
Tebow is Chuck Norris

Quote:

TCrouch said:
Oh Lord.

Out of all the people I expect to see starting a thread that will inevitably lead to a flamewar...

You two? I guess I could see the Donkey fan doing it, but Fetter? What has the Raider Nation become...

.....all you had to do was say that you are still a GameDay fan..

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
Tebow is Chuck Norris

Quote:

Innoruuk said:
Did you let them win? My friends hated ESPN because I beat them 42 to 0 by the end of the 1st half. There need to be sliders for both players in the game. Kinda like those sliders in fighting games were you can make one player better and another worst.

I should've just them play the CPU on Pro.

No I didn't let them win, however when I was up 14-0 I switched sides and joined their team and we came back and beat the CPU.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #7
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

TCrouch said:
Oh Lord.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was starting a flame war, I was trying to be civil and state my thoughts on the issue.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:49 AM   #8
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

I dont think it has to do with ppl spamming the game. It has to do with how open minded a person is. If the hardcore Madden gamer is open minded, then he'll give it a fair shot. And ethier like it or not. But all ppl are'nt open minded and 9 times ot of ten when they first play ESPS, or any 2K for that matter, they'd be so stuck in thier Maddedn ways that Segas game wont be enjoyable because you cant do the same things that you do in Madden in ESPN.

When a Madden fan plays his first game of 2K he'll instantly hate it because the running feels funny, or he cant complete a pass, or he cant run to the outside, or his RB cant break any tackles. But you need to explain to them that this game is'nt madden and you just cant spin and juke your way to a fisrt down. And passing, you cant drop back 15 yds and expect to throw a perfect bullet, or your DB cant jump 5 feet in the air and swat a pass. Or 3rd and 4th and inches cant be converted with ease.

Once they get pass those facts, then they're set. But its not that easy to convince them. You gotta hook them up with every thing you know. What botton does what, what the Bear defense is, to watch your QB drop back and then pass at the correct time, to read your recievers correctly, to play with a LB and see that its actually fun and intersting, to tap to run fast and hold to charge (one of the biggest things to get use to). And at the same time, show them the bueaty of the DLine, Oline animations.

And last but not least, let them win. They dont know how to play the game. We all know it takes maybe 3 games to fully get the hang of it. So let them get all the first downs and broken tackles as they want. Dont blow em out, because then it will make they're experience frustrating to play and to learn. So be easy on em.

I've converted 2 of my guys by showing them the ropes of this game. I tell them te games flaws also just out of politeness. I dont wanna sell it to them and they end up complaining about it. I also did a thorough Madden comparison while playing. Dont be afraid to diss Madden. (No OSers are around to flame you) If you mention things you dont like about Madden, chances are they will agree with you and have the same feelings as you do.

And dont flame me because I'm tryna spread the wealth. Only reason why I'm tryna convert everyone I know is so we can have ESPN tournaments instead of ol fashioned, high scoring Madden tourneys. Once they sit down and feel the excitment, anticipation, and nail bitting moments of a tight scoring, defensive, 0-0 game going into the 4th, then your job is done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »