Home

A few thoughts, full review later.

This is a discussion on A few thoughts, full review later. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
A few thoughts, full review later.

Okay I have had the game for about 2 weeks now and I figured I would vent some frustration and also give props.
First thing is I have to say that this game has a candy coat on it, no doubt. When you play on the default level, things are cool but too easy really. Then I turned it to all pro and so far my experiences have been less than fun, I will be changing the sliders even more.

1. I find that in default the Tackles actually work, even though the sliders are way favored for you. On all pro less than average running backs will shred you and great ones kill you, example Ricky Williams!! I double teamed, zoned, brought the lbs up, stacked the line, blitzed, everything I could think of and the guy continues to toast me. I have the Bills and improved their D, so I should be able to slow him down, but it just does not matter.
I know other people on here have expressed the same concern. No one wants it to be as easy per the default mode, but it needs to at least be fair. I had 2 guys, LBS rated almost 90 + on him and he will shed them off every time!!! Despite using strafe, charging, etc. There just needs to be more balance there. I have gotten those things to work sometimes, but is a bitch to get consistently. THIS IS ONE AREA THAT NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED. IT TAKES THE FUN OUT OF THE GAME WHEN YOU KNOW THEY WILL RUN THE SAME POWER SWEEP OR DRAW AND YOU WILL LOSE BECAUSE THE TACKLING IS OFF.
2. Next complaint is one also expressed numerous times here, the Challenge system. Maddens challenge system may not be as deep, but at least it works properly!! About 4 times I have had the call go my way and I still get a 4th and short, this is unexcusable to me. It puts a black eye on a pretty face and VC needs to fix it.
3. The control set up, I have no idea who came up with these scemes but you need to be brought out to a public square and have something shoved where the sun don't shine for blantant idiocy!!. 2k3 had a great set up, it flowed very well. SO why you found the need to mess it up is beyond me. I do like the secndary default set up, with the stiff arms on the triggers, for the most part that is. My suggestions are to put the strafe button on the analog pad so I can atually use a speed burst with it!! Keep all the jukes on the right stick, and put the DEFESIVE SHIFTS BACK ON THE RIGHT STICK ALSO!!! I loved that in the demo, it was quick and efficent, now it is a chore to make the adjustments. I know I am not the only one to feel this way, just look at the boards.
4. Lastly, STOP LETTING THE CBS AND SAFETY RAPE MY RECIEVERS!!! I see this every game, I know it happens but not on this level. I have 4 great receivers and when I play I see them getting pulled, shoved, held and hit early, but I only get the call once in a while. If my guy walks in front of another I think they will call a pi penalty on me, theh balance is just not right beyond the default level that is. SORRY VC YOU MESSED UP HERE, FIX IT.
*** Forgot to say that whenever it rains I get about 4-5 fumbles from bs hits on good receievers and backs, Bruce dropeed 5 passes, Henry dropped 2. Will tweak sliders and see what happens.
Okay now that is done, time for the mad props they deserve here.
1. Presentation is awesome, a bit repetive but awesome none the less. I feel like it is Monday night football whenever I play, vey cool.
2. Game speed: You guys have finally found an acceptable normal speed!! THe previous 2k games were sluggish, this is not. Nice job here.
3. Poilsh and animations: I can tell you put mucho polish on the game. Running, route running, catching animations, etc are all much, much better and awesome to watch in motion. However the misteps above take somethign away. I give you 4/5 stars there, tweak some things and you have the perfect game.
4. THe Crib and First person: Great job on both, they have a few annoying things but you guys pulled this one off wonderfully. Suggestion though, make the crib bigger so I can really pimp that thing out!!! I know the glitches in first person will be solved, great job on that also.
5. Weather effects and dirty unis: Possibly the most impressive weather effects I have ever seen and the unis actually get dirty progressivley, not as well as Madden but still very nice.
6. Playbook making/using: Much easier than before and atually works fairly well. I also love the general book in games because it has everything you need, so very nice there. Add more blitzes and some more depth and it s perfect.
7. Graphics Overall: This is the best looking football game I have ever seen, I love the fans they are great. Add more sideline animations though please, those are great.

Okay that is my rant. I like this game, really I do but I should not have to screw with slider that mcuch to have a fair game. Oh VC you guys were so close this year, really you were. I know that the reviews have been very good so far and deservedly so, but I cannot agree with them completely at this point. The game on All pro feels like 2k3 again with better graohics and smoother animations/more options worked out. Some key things were solved here, but I think some of the detail work was left untouched. At this time the game ges 7/10 until I play with the sliders more and find a good balance. I reccomend this game to anyone, but the sim fan will see the problems once they put the challenge up more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: A few thoughts, full review later.

2. I assume you are challenging a ball spot error? You won the challenge but they just moved the ball up a little bit, not enough for a first down. Make sense? I challenged once thinking I got in the endzone. I won the challenge and the ball was moved up 1 yd to the 1/2 yard line.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

IE: #1 & #4 .. I was saying the same things when I started playing. I had to take action so I took Legend's settings, put all of my attributes up 1 click, all of theirs down two clicks, put my tackling up to the next line, turned the running down an extra 2 clicks and everything looks and feels great. I still don't win every game (less than half), but I feel like I can compete and it makes my gameplay better. I know what you mean about the CPU running game, if they can run on you, they won't put the ball in the air. To stop the run I call a zone coverage, put my LB's to the strong side, stack my D-line to the strong side, and I control the FS to keep contain. This usually works well. as far as passing...if they pass try & look out for their go-to guy since the CPU tries to find him the most. Roam w/ the FS or blitz...the CPU QB screws up alot.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

As for the spot ball challenge, yes I did chanllenge that so maybe i jsut challenged the wrong thing. However the REf will say first down and I get a third and 1!!! that is the glitch I have seen, I know I am not hte only one. AS for the sliders, I will put them in between All pro and default and that should balance things out. The CPU running willg et knocked down by 3 or more though, no doubt about that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »