Home

ESPN Flaws - overrated

This is a discussion on ESPN Flaws - overrated within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
ESPN Flaws - overrated

i like most parts of the game, but there are significant flaws which people seem to overlook in their rose colored glasses. I play all my games online....so the flaws i am experiencing are against other humans....note they occur on all difficulty levels

1) Running is too easy. Any decent back breaks way too many tackles. The blocking is too good. Especially on the sweeps. The linebackers get locked up for the entire play. Look at NFL and how hard it is to run outside. The receivers block like allpro linemen. Guys like Ricky, Priest, and LT are so ridiculously good. Everyone has breakaway spead, including backs like Bettis....gay

2) Passing is too easy. i complete about 80% of my passes. Everybody catches most everything. Pass interference is called way too frequently. Since both passing and running are easy, basically the first player not to score loses, b/c everyone scores everytime.

3) kickoff coverage. The blocking is waaaay too good. Similar to the problem with the receivers blocking too well, all you do is run to middle and burst it outside. The worst return is at the 35. I usually get at about 50% past the 50 yard line!!! Joke.

4) Cant have independant camera angles. Cmon, this is 2003. Haven't we progressed passed this. At the end of the game, both people are looking at the stats together fighting it out for control.

5) Every gets wet when talking about ESPN's grafix and presentation. The presentation gets old real fast!. And there is no way to turn it off online. Arghh. If i see those goofy cheerleaders one more time. Every play has a replay. I guess that's b/c every play is a big gain! Presentation is sooo secondary to actual gameplay

6) control on xbox is needlessly difficult. why on earth did the make LB and DB audibles for right stick and right B/W buttons at the same time. Last time i checked i only had 2 hands.

i have a sense that most gamers who are raving about the game on this board are very young and like the new arcadey, high scoring game with all the glitz and cribs, etc. Take this 36 year old gamer and i am a bit disappointed in the direction ESPN went this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: ESPN Flaws - overrated

1) I don't see it.

2) It can be easy if you are playing against someone who has no clue what they are doing.

3) I believe it has been reported that this has to do with non startes on special teams. Make subs or live with it.. not that big of a deal. Hell a roster update could fix this.

4) Agree

5) Not a big deal. Just something extra to complain about.

6) Agree. moving your corners, LBs is hard to do. I am not sure if an alt config will/could fix this or not.

Hmm.... most gamers or regulars on this board are over 25 and know their football.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

cman321 said:
i like most parts of the game, but there are significant flaws which people seem to overlook in their rose colored glasses. I play all my games online....so the flaws i am experiencing are against other humans....note they occur on all difficulty levels

1) Running is too easy. Any decent back breaks way too many tackles. The blocking is too good. Especially on the sweeps. The linebackers get locked up for the entire play. Look at NFL and how hard it is to run outside. The receivers block like allpro linemen. Guys like Ricky, Priest, and LT are so ridiculously good. Everyone has breakaway spead, including backs like Bettis....gay

2) Passing is too easy. i complete about 80% of my passes. Everybody catches most everything. Pass interference is called way too frequently. Since both passing and running are easy, basically the first player not to score loses, b/c everyone scores everytime.

3) kickoff coverage. The blocking is waaaay too good. Similar to the problem with the receivers blocking too well, all you do is run to middle and burst it outside. The worst return is at the 35. I usually get at about 50% past the 50 yard line!!! Joke.

4) Cant have independant camera angles. Cmon, this is 2003. Haven't we progressed passed this. At the end of the game, both people are looking at the stats together fighting it out for control.

5) Every gets wet when talking about ESPN's grafix and presentation. The presentation gets old real fast!. And there is no way to turn it off online. Arghh. If i see those goofy cheerleaders one more time. Every play has a replay. I guess that's b/c every play is a big gain! Presentation is sooo secondary to actual gameplay

6) control on xbox is needlessly difficult. why on earth did the make LB and DB audibles for right stick and right B/W buttons at the same time. Last time i checked i only had 2 hands.

i have a sense that most gamers who are raving about the game on this board are very young and like the new arcadey, high scoring game with all the glitz and cribs, etc. Take this 36 year old gamer and i am a bit disappointed in the direction ESPN went this year.

Nice try! Now get back under your bridge .
Old 09-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

Old 09-11-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

see? if someone points out the legitimate flaws in this game they get attacked. face it, the longer you play this game the more glaring problems it has; and I dont even live near a bridge...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

People can argue until they're blue in the face about the backs being overpowered, but I've shut down more running games, with all of the backs that were mentioned, than I can count. I firmly believe a lot of it is in the play selection and defensive gameplan. I've made some bad calls and left a OLB one on one with Ricky Williams in the open field. I guessed wrong, I got burned for it. That's how it's SUPPOSED to be.

That's why star backs are...well...star backs. They make you pay if you guess wrong or don't contain them. However, it IS possible to hold them under 50 yards on 20 carries. I know this, because I can hear the frustration in the voices of the people who are used to getting 200 a game with them as they punt for the 10th time.

If somebody doesn't like the game, more power to them. What I don't understand is this deep-rooted feeling of obligation to inform the world that "OH MY GOD ESPN HAS FLAWS!". Guess what. It does. All games do. But the "flaws" people point out many times are, in fact, something that is a gameplay mechanic...
Old 09-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Balboni said:
see? if someone points out the legitimate flaws in this game they get attacked. face it, the longer you play this game the more glaring problems it has; and I dont even live near a bridge...

most of those are far from legit flaws. most have to do with how you play the game or who you are playing against.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

maybe so, but when the computer has chance to take the lead with a 35 yrd field goal and punts, it is considered a serious flaw. is there anyway to fix that? because it happened to me last night and I won but shouldn't have...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »