Home

Trouble returning punts? This may be why.

This is a discussion on Trouble returning punts? This may be why. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Pro

Chodite24's Arena

OVR: 6
Trouble returning punts? This may be why.

I just assumed the special teams sucked on the receiving team, since everytime I'd try to run back a punt return, 5 defenders were on me like flies on doo doo.... I just now realized I've been calling the "punt defend" play instead of calling PUNT RETURN!!! Punt DEFEND is if you think they may be faking the punt.... punt return worked MUCH better, as I returned one for about 20 yards. WOOHOO!! Progress baby (and maybe some info for the less-informed)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: And I wonder why I never ran a punt back for more than 5 yards...

2 things..

1. After messing with the sliders, I was able to get better punt returns for both me and the CPU

2. On some returns I've learned that if you nudge the right thumbstick back, it messes up the punt teams first wave of blockers giving you a second to move upfield.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Trouble returning punts? This may be why.

Quote:

Chodite24 said:
I just assumed the special teams sucked on the receiving team, since everytime I'd try to run back a punt return, 5 defenders were on me like flies on doo doo.... I just now realized I've been calling the "punt defend" play instead of calling PUNT RETURN!!! Punt DEFEND is if you think they may be faking the punt.... punt return worked MUCH better, as I returned one for about 20 yards. WOOHOO!! Progress baby (and maybe some info for the less-informed)

Maybe I'm just a big pile of doo doo . Until a few days ago, I could'nt buy a milisecond of punt return time to save my life, regardless of which play I called!!! That's when good ole redneck ingenuity took over and I figured out a way to manufacture a freakin block. I simply pull one blocker back near the punt returner before the kick and manuever him into the path of the closest defensive player (fly). He'll engage a block and free up enough space for the punt returner to make a move. Nothing earth shattering mind you, but I get some forward movement a fair amount of the time. Since implemeting this tactic, I think my longest return was about 25-30 yards (which ended with a fumble turn over by the way )
Old 09-11-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

I noticed that the two punt defenders who play off the line for are always the first two guys down the field. To fix this, I now manually move my two ends farther outside. This causes the two guys to stay at home to help with the rush and gives me a better chance to get a good return. Also, be ready to juke as SOON as you catch the punt. A good return always starts with making the first guy miss.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: And I wonder why I never ran a punt back for more than 5 yards...

Quote:

After messing with the sliders, I was able to get better punt returns for both me and the CPU

Which sliders did you adjust?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 11:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I grab one of the blockers and bring him near the punt returner and have him block the first guy down the field. It's definitely helped me. I actually returned a punt with Buchanon for a td once. It was basically a miracle though. I happened to just run perfectly in a lane and hurdled another guy and I was off to the races.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 23

Quote:

HMcCoy said:
I noticed that the two punt defenders who play off the line for are always the first two guys down the field. To fix this, I now manually move my two ends farther outside. This causes the two guys to stay at home to help with the rush and gives me a better chance to get a good return. Also, be ready to juke as SOON as you catch the punt. A good return always starts with making the first guy miss.

Just tried this method and it works pretty good. I'm actually getting punt returns over 15-20 yds. There are times where it doesn't work and I either have to call for a fair catch or maybe gain a yard or two, but thats fine with me. Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »