Home

can't stop the run? adjust the sliders and your defensive play

This is a discussion on can't stop the run? adjust the sliders and your defensive play within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13
can\'t stop the run? adjust the sliders and your defensive play

Okay, I've read a ton of posts about stopping the overpowered backs. Well here's what I've done to make the game the most realistic playing game around...

1. Sliders... take the CPU running and blocking down.
2. Sliders... put the Human Pursuit and tackling up.
3. Adjust your defensive line to cater to where their star back is
4. Adjust to where the offensive line is stacked up. "Most" times they'll run to the strong side.
5. On obvious rushing downs/formations, bring in your DBs if you can afford to.
6. Be a MLB and cheat to the strong side/or their big back's side. Shadow him.
7. As a LB, STAY BACK. When you see it's a run to the side, stay 3 yards behind your D-line and cut off the RB.
8. Do NOT dive at the RB unless squared up with him. You won't win that battle, as many NFL players won't. He's faster, just as strong in the legs, and has momentum.
9. If he's going outside, and you're pursuing, FORCE HIM INSIDE. Do NOT miss a tackle and allow him to go farther outside. You're done. If you take the outside path and he gets around you, forget it, the RBs are too fast and they'll cut up field. Force him into the defenders.
10. Blitz to the weak side to get penetration and get a defender in his cutback lane.

This is what I do to stop the run. And guess what, it's very effective. I don't see all of these big ol broken tackles, overpowered backs. Maybe on default sliders, yeah, but adjust them and then adjust your defense. When you see they have 1 WR in there, get into a 4-3 and bring some heat to one side, guard the other side by yourself or shift over the defensive line...

You have to think to beat the RB, just like they have to think to beat you. One thing I'll say is this, the Human controlled defensive player can do a ton to stop the offense, or to give the offense an advantage. by not playing within your assignment, you've made it a 10 on 11 game... and that's not good...

GOOD LUCK!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: can\'t stop the run? adjust the sliders and your defensive play

How far did you move the sliders u[/down?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
MVP

faster's Arena

i'll have to check, but until it feels comfortable. i know i've turned human tackling and pursuit up pretty high. this seems to make the human defense a little faster to the ball. i also turn the cpu running and blocking down until the CPu doesn't automatically get 5 yards every carry.

in the NFl, running back that get 100 yards a game, do so on 2 yards, 1 yard, 6 yards, 9 yards, 1 yard, -1 yards, 13 yards, 4 yards, 6 yards, -1 yard, 2 yards, 7 yards, etc... it's not consistently 4 yards every time usually. that's what this game does so well. i frequently have rbs bust 20 yard carries on me, but then my defense tightens up and they get maybe 40 more for the game and finish with 22 carries, 68 yards -- or something similar.

i luve this game.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks a lot bro. Those tips made a huge difference in my gameplay experience. They only problem I had was the CPU breaking three or more tackles every play, including the ones by my boy Urlacher. Every thing is sweet now.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:47 PM   #5
MVP

faster's Arena

Glad I could be of assistance. It's amazing the difference between "just playing" and studying what's going on. Once you actually get the sliders down, then you've got to get your defense down too. One of the most important things that I've learned is not to make it 10 on 11 by doing stupid things on defense. Look at your assignments, stick to them, there's a reason you're supposed to blitz, or cover an area, or cover-up a guy... if you don't do it, you create a hole in your defense. The only time I don't do my assignment is if I'm blitzing. Then I might lay back and anticipate the run, or zone up in the middle of the field on a passing play. Still, I usually do!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2003, 04:16 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Also, assign your best LB to cover the RB on the defensive matchup screen.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:44 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

I have no problems stopping the run either, even on default all-pro.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:54 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

What about online play? Any suggestions on how to establish these sliders for a better all around game-maybe start up a standard?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »