Home

Alright SEGA. Please get it in gear!

This is a discussion on Alright SEGA. Please get it in gear! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Alright SEGA. Please get it in gear!

Quote:

bdunn13 said:
Thanks Fossen

Its nice to know that ESPN is not peer to peer. I think its a design time decision error to make it client server as the lag will in theory double this way.

Oh well...

There is no error on the design part. There would be no way to offer the features they offer for online play without a client-server model.

Keep in mind that lag can come from a lot of different things. You can get lag from having your microwave oven plugged into the same electrical outlet as your modem line because of the interference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:

bdunn13 said:
Quote:

SportsMonger said:
I don't think they realize the MONEY microsoft has invested in this no BULL Sh1t sevice.......People this service lives up to the HYPE.....

They have dropped over 2 billion in getting it up and running....

Yes, you have said this already in this thread. We know. We know.

You a Linux guy Bdun.........You don't sound like a very big fan of Microsoft...

Whats up with that...Why did you find the need to corect my post...or the excess of the information provided that people were not listening too...

Sounds like something else is at work here...
Old 09-12-2003, 12:20 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:

Davel23 said:
How is there less lag for XBL than there is for the PS2? They're both using peer to peer connection. Unless there are dedicated servers it has nothing to do with what version you have it has everything to do with how well the connection is between you and your opponent

Not sure it's a pure peer-to-peer connection. Unless I misunderstood him, TCrouch said it's updating the play-by-play GameCast thing on the espnvideogames.com web site while your game is still in progress.

It's an awesome feature but it might mean you have to constantly be connected to VC, which might be affecting your network performance.

The other possibility is that the PS2 just isn't powerful enough and online performance lags for that reason? The game has a disclaimer that online experience won't be as good as the offline. I don't recall seeing that disclaimer in Madden or NCAA.

I was playing CincyKid and it got a bit choppy and eventually disconnected in the first quarter. The voice chat was fine until it disconnected however. But we'd played and completed a couple games each of NCAA and Madden and it was perfectly fine, at least on my end (we are on opposite coasts).

I think we could legitimately criticize the developers without flaming them. Doesn't mean the rest of the game is bad, just that maybe they could put in more work on the networking performance in future games.

The online leagues rock however and I say that not having played a single league game yet but having browsed some box scores and league leaders. I'm in 3 Madden leagues which are paying to use the LeagueDaddy.com site. The layout is a lot better than LD, you can sort by any category and best of all, there is NO DATA ENTRY, in comparison to the 20-30 minutes it takes me to enter stats for like 20 players.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:

SportsMonger said:
Microsoft makes sure all the hubs & backbones (HOPS) between the XBL service are good...They work with several major companies and service providers ($) to make sure the line is clear..

How can they do that? Some people are going to be in some farflung place. How do they guarantee that some guy in Georgia is going to have the shortest hops to me if I try to play him?

I'm not even sure ISPs necessarily control the number of hops between one of their subscribers and a given site or person. That is why they use things like Akamai to cache popular sites more closer to their network.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:29 PM   #29
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

wco, I guessed on the play by play. I have no idea for sure. It definitely doesn't show on the webpage as the game is in progress. My comment was just to consider why the same players who play on XBL ESPN would have slower gameplay online on PS2.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

wco81 said:

How can they do that? Some people are going to be in some farflung place. How do they guarantee that some guy in Georgia is going to have the shortest hops to me if I try to play him?

Just to educate you a bit. It's general term is internet caching. Microsoft and other big players has switches, relays, and other goodies all over the internet for quality assurance.

Quote:

I'm not even sure ISPs necessarily control the number of hops between one of their subscribers and a given site or person. That is why they use things like Akamai to cache popular sites more closer to their network.

There you go. You answered your original question.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:31 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:

wco81 said:
Quote:

SportsMonger said:
Microsoft makes sure all the hubs & backbones (HOPS) between the XBL service are good...They work with several major companies and service providers ($) to make sure the line is clear..

They have "Home runs" from all the major Backbones in the continetial US in "Fiber optics"... So say you make 3 hops to get to the Backbone....You would only make one more hop on fiber to get to Xbox Live servers..

I am not saying everyone will experiece great pings "Clearly depends on the quality of you ISP"....but the services that are working with Microsoft "There is a list somewhere"...You will have above average pings..or It will feel like there is no ping...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #32
Banned

If I could run a tracrt to one of the Xbox servers...I could post the report... See there is a little thing about dos pinging Microsoft servers... You can't..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »