Home

Double Teaming a WR! (yes ! not ?)

This is a discussion on Double Teaming a WR! (yes ! not ?) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Double Teaming a WR! (yes ! not ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker
i would just love to be able to set up my team to play inside or outside or shifting them but when i play players online they just rush to the line and snap it and i dont get all my assignments off on time...but its strange when i was playing somebody he was on defense and he kept on i guess.... audibling.. or changing something in his defense that made my QB look left

and look right back to left and back to right before the snap that gave him time to made his adjustments on defense...anybody have any idea how to slow down the quarterback from snapping it?

Can anyone confirm if this is a feature in the game. This game really does need something to give the defense time to make use of all the adjustment features.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Can anyone confirm if this is a feature in the game. This game really does need something to give the defense time to make use of all the adjustment features.
You can start making alignment adjustments as the huddle is broken.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 21

True, but the way people use the no huddle online, I think something is needed to help balance it out a bit. Give the D a few more seconds to make some adjustments.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
True, but the way people use the no huddle online, I think something is needed to help balance it out a bit. Give the D a few more seconds to make some adjustments.
No argument there--maybe fatigue needs to be adjusted?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

what i know:

if a player is in man he can not be set to double another player. if every player is in man then setting someone to be doubled from the menu will not work.

if a player is in man he CAN be set to blitz... important thing here is when you do a hot db audible including doubling and then you hit anything besides the R trigger it will change what that db you just set is doing yet again... causing you to think it's not working.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2004, 01:04 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 4
Thumbs down Re: Double Teaming a WR! (yes ! not ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
what i know:

if a player is in man he can not be set to double another player. if every player is in man then setting someone to be doubled from the menu will not work.

if a player is in man he CAN be set to blitz... important thing here is when you do a hot db audible including doubling and then you hit anything besides the R trigger it will change what that db you just set is doing yet again... causing you to think it's not working.
I know all that I went into practice mode, for defense I picked Nickel cover 2, for offense I picked doubles, and I went into gameplan and put my best CB on marvin harrison and i put the check mark in the double box and it still didn't work. The safties just played their normal zone.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #23
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: Double Teaming a WR! (yes ! not ?)

If you try to re-assign a safety who's in a zone assignment, he'll bracket the WR in case that receiver goes deep running the go route, post route or corner route, etc. But you won't see that safety double team that WR if the WR runs a shorter route like a slants or a 4- to 6-yard in/out.

I found that the most effective way to double team a WR in all situations is to call a play that has either a safety or cornerback on a blitz assignment, then re-assign him to double a WR before the ball is snapped.

For example, call the "Spear 1" play which has the SS on a blitz assignment (assuming the play wasn't flipped), individually select the SS, then have him assigned to the receiver closest to his side, including even a dangerous pass-catching TE. Instant double team.

And another example is when you call "Strong Crash 1" which has the CB on the strong side on a blitz assignment (again, assuming the play wasn't flipped). Next, select that blitzing CB, then have him re-assigned to the WR he's lined directly over. Instant double team.

Let me know if you have any problems setting this up.

Kruza
Old 08-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 4

In my Giants franchise I've messed with the menu double team and manual double team options a great deal. Kruza has hit on a great way to use the manual double team that does work pretty well according to your personnel in the secondary and wide out you're attempting to cover.

Because the Giants' safeties aren't good in one-on-one or two-on-one matchups I've been using a combination of the two methods. For instance last night I played the Falcons. Normally Price kills my secondary; his size and speed are more than my corners can handle without assistance. In order to handle him last night I placed Peterson against him. Peterson is my tallest corner at 6' and has good coverage skills, but lacks the speed to match Price. While lining up Peterson in the matchups menu I also checked the double team option. Once at the line of scrimmage I backed the corner off giving him a little cushion to contend with Price's speed and then moved the safety on that side closer in to Price (toward the sideline) and usually a little closer to the line of scrimmage. This almost completely shut him down. He still managed to catch a few balls underneath, but my safety was always there to limit the YAC.

The menu double team does work, but the zones are really only a circle about seven to ten yards around the player. So, if your safety is standing on the hash marks and the receiver runs a slant out or slant-corner toward the sidelines the DB will be out of position. Likewise, if the offense runs out of a triple set (single back w/ 2 WO's and TE to the strong side and 1 WO on the weak side) in a 2 man nickle set the SS will move toward the strong side and the FS will pull into the middle of the field. This leaves the FS to run across the field to the weak side making him out of position. If you manually adjust his position he'll be in the right place to assist the corner. You've got tools, use them...

P.S. I won that game against Atlanta 24-13. On the Falcons' last chance to score my coverage on Price forced Vick to try and hit Finnergan. My cornerback, Will Allen, was still backpeddling when the ball was thrown. He lept up pulled it down and ran it back 90 years to seal the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »