Home

How is ESPN selling? Any numbers out?

This is a discussion on How is ESPN selling? Any numbers out? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #33
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: How is ESPN selling? Any numbers out?

I agree with the guy above. It seems like passing a multi .. & I mean multi platform giant in sales with the fanbase they have is not really even an option in the next few years to come.

I have more than 10 old fraternity brothers who don't even know that there is another football game out there. They just go buy Madden around the release date and could care less about the reviews. I don't even care to try & change their minds. To them it's like "What can be better than Madden?" Their motives are good. They just want to have some football fun and Madden has done the trick for the last 10 years, why wouldn't it this year.

I'm more of a tech guy so I spend a lot of time on the net for work and play so I know how to get a solid opinion or review.

My point is... we (those who read videogame reviews & look for advice in chat forums) are a small percentage of the market. It might look good from our scope, but Madden has the street credibility.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:40 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 13

I do not think SEGA is going to sell many copies of ESPN NFL 2K4. They may not even sell as many copies as NFL 2K3 and will be lucky to sell 500,000 copies this year. They cut their development staff too much and that is probably why the AI is so bad.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:54 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

onetonmartin said:
I agree with the guy above. It seems like passing a multi .. & I mean multi platform giant in sales with the fanbase they have is not really even an option in the next few years to come.

I have more than 10 old fraternity brothers who don't even know that there is another football game out there. They just go buy Madden around the release date and could care less about the reviews. I don't even care to try & change their minds. To them it's like "What can be better than Madden?" Their motives are good. They just want to have some football fun and Madden has done the trick for the last 10 years, why wouldn't it this year.

I'm more of a tech guy so I spend a lot of time on the net for work and play so I know how to get a solid opinion or review.

My point is... we (those who read videogame reviews & look for advice in chat forums) are a small percentage of the market. It might look good from our scope, but Madden has the street credibility.

Very well said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #36
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

LIGHTNING said:
I do not think SEGA is going to sell many copies of ESPN NFL 2K4. They may not even sell as many copies as NFL 2K3 and will be lucky to sell 500,000 copies this year. They cut their development staff too much and that is probably why the AI is so bad.

No they didn't, VC cut the production for this year's ESPN College football so they could get some extra help on the Pro game. What are you talking about?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #37
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

LIGHTNING said:

HA! dont you wish you troll
Old 09-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #38
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

LIGHTNING said:

What are you talking about? Just shut up.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:15 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

bottom line madden has 14years of being out there.. that's 14 years of cats playing madden vs espn/sega which has about 4 years in the game so madden will out sale them by a ton that's just a fact. Everyone knows the name madden even women know about madden espn is catching up.. but even on espn the network.. the nfl matchup show presented by easports.. and on the college gamday show the gameday crew is on the ea college football game... people know easports people on the whole go get madden when it comes out.. most people want to rent or try espn before they get it part of the reason is a few years back when espn tried to do sports games remember espn footall (with edgerin james on the box) a few years back that game was garbage.. and some cats think this is the same type of thing.. and madden is a sweet game..but so is espn this year but it's going to take a long time to get to maddens sales level but the gap is closing
Old 09-23-2003, 04:25 PM   #40
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

apaapa said:
seems like ESPN has alot more "playercred" this year, and the added polish seems to be great
I bet it will sell better than last year, much more. But madden will still sell the most. Narrowing the gap is good.

I wonder what numbers are for Madden and ESPNFL on Xbox and PS2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »