Home

I went to EB AND Babbages/Gamestop and they Both said@Look inside

This is a discussion on I went to EB AND Babbages/Gamestop and they Both said@Look inside within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: I went to EB AND Babbages/Gamestop and they Both said@Look inside

Quote:

BeanTownBrawler said:
I cant wait to see the sales figures for the first month of ESPN

I know ,the future's looking brighter for Sega/Visual Concepts every day congrats Sega!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #10
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

BeanTownBrawler said:

Ehhh... Don't expect too much. This is a marathon. As long as Sega makes enough to keep making good games, I really don't care. But that's just me. I DO hope the numbers are good because I would love to see an NCAA version of this game again. The last one was bad, but I think as long as they don't use the developer that did the last one, they will be fine. But I digress.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #11
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

BeanTownBrawler said:

I read something just the other day (I'll have to see where i am on som many news update lists) that ESPN is selling the best on the Xbox (no surpirse) but that it had sold 300K copies on the Xbox and 500K total. That's compared to 2 million Maddens.

What people fail to realise is when someone says "I went into my local EB and they said all their Maddens were being returned...." that most of that is a load of crap.

I'm not saying the persons lying, but the sales people at these places are usualy just kids, who have their own bias and are working their for free games.

Just enjoy the game (I am), but if you are waiting for the day that it outsells madden, you're going to be waitning a long time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2003, 12:30 PM   #12
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

I read something just the other day (I'll have to see where i am on som many news update lists) that ESPN is selling the best on the Xbox (no surpirse) but that it had sold 300K copies on the Xbox and 500K total. That's compared to 2 million Maddens.

300K after three weeks is good! It was reported that they only sold 400,000 all of last year(Which to me was a shame for such a good game), so if your numbers are correct, then that's a good start.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #13
Rookie

rabigjb's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

DSpezzano said:Just enjoy the game (I am), but if you are waiting for the day that it outsells madden, you're going to be waitning a long time.

Yup, enjoy it. It is a great alternative to Madden. I finally converted to Sega's game this year - my first experience with a Sega football game.

When I had the option of going with NFL 2K2 or Madden 2002 - I went with Madden, because I heard that the CPU was awful with clock management, would let the clock run out without using timeouts, etc. And since 95% of my gameplay is single-player, that was a show-stopper for me.

And when I had a choice between NFL 2K3 and Madden 2003 - I again went with Madden. That time, because I was really into NCAA 2003, getting custom roster files, exporting draft classes. So I was playing NCAA and Madden seasons, exporting my players.

This year, I got NCAA Football 2004. But just felt that I was a little tired of the whole EA football game "feel" - know what I mean?

And ESPN NFL is a welcome departure for me. Will Sega's game ever outsell Madden? If EA and Madden ever completely drop the ball, that will help. Madden does seem to improve year to year, though people's opinions differ on whether it is significant or not. But they have not really screwed things up. And I think sales numbers would sway more if Madden was getting negative comments, more so than ESPN getting praise.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:32 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:

WaddupCouzin said:
Quote:

300K after three weeks is good! It was reported that they only sold 400,000 all of last year(Which to me was a shame for such a good game), so if your numbers are correct, then that's a good start.

Hell yeah those are great numbers! Remember 2 million copies were sold for Madden on the PS2/XBOX/PC/PS/GC/GBA that's combine sales. If it's true that Sega sold 500k in 2 weeks time on PS2/XBOX well it's time to light a cigar folks cause those are great numbers

Old 09-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

rabigjb said:
Yup, enjoy it. It is a great alternative to Madden. I finally converted to Sega's game this year - my first experience with a Sega football game.

When I had the option of going with NFL 2K2 or Madden 2002 - I went with Madden, because I heard that the CPU was awful with clock management, would let the clock run out without using timeouts, etc. And since 95% of my gameplay is single-player, that was a show-stopper for me.

And when I had a choice between NFL 2K3 and Madden 2003 - I again went with Madden. That time, because I was really into NCAA 2003, getting custom roster files, exporting draft classes. So I was playing NCAA and Madden seasons, exporting my players.

This year, I got NCAA Football 2004. But just felt that I was a little tired of the whole EA football game "feel" - know what I mean?

And ESPN NFL is a welcome departure for me. Will Sega's game ever outsell Madden? If EA and Madden ever completely drop the ball, that will help. Madden does seem to improve year to year, though people's opinions differ on whether it is significant or not. But they have not really screwed things up. And I think sales numbers would sway more if Madden was getting negative comments, more so than ESPN getting praise.

I've got just about the same history as you and agree with your statements. Madden will sell it's multi-million copies this year. However, after years of trying, Sega and VC really stepped up to the plate and made a game that appeals to more than just the hardcore football geeks. ESPN is the first of the 2K series that will attract mainstream players. The numbers that you need to watch are ESPN's total sales, don't worry about Madden's numbers. If ESPN's numbers rise above 1 million copies, by industry standards it will be a huge blockbuster.

Next year then becomes the new battleground. However, let me state for the record right now, Madden 2005 will not be huge improvement over this years!!! Why? Because IMHO EA's internal focus is far beyond the 2005 year and on the Madden 2006 title for the new PS3 and Xbox 2. I am willing to bet all 10 cents I hae to my name that EA has their best and brightest hard at work on Madden 2006 this very day with the overall goal to once again re-define football gaming just as they did with the launch of the PS2.

Don't believe me? Remember the final days of PS1? Everyone was jumping on the 989 Studio's Gameday bandwagon as it slowly started to creep up on Madden's sales. What happened when PS2 launched? Madden blew everyone else's footbaqll title off the map, Gameday still hasn't recovered.

EA was able to do that because of the millions of dollars it can invest in software development years before a title is released -- something Sega nor VC can afford.

I'm not bringing this point up to be a buzzkill and don't accuse me of being a Madden lover (my copy is all set to be returned for NHL 2004 on Wednesday). My point is simply that in order for VC to eclipse Madden in the long run, they must start development of software for the next generation of platforms NOW!!!! For all I know VC has already started, but the Gameday PS1/PS2 example is something all ESPN fans should keep in mind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #16
BTB
Th*s **n't s** w*rld

BTB's Arena

OVR: 16

Holy crap... the games on the next gen systems will be god like

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »