Home

This Game needs alot more On Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant

This is a discussion on This Game needs alot more On Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2003, 12:14 AM   #17
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: This Game needs alot more On Field Polish Next year: Looonngg Rant

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
actually it's not Maddenized as i have owned 4 NFL 2K games and i just was never into the button mashing thing. The 4 years i've played i think i have a reason to say leave the button mashing out.

I still disagree. What needs to be added is an accelartion attribute to better seperate those players with higher second gear than others.

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:

blocking in this game is the reason for the long runs i just watched a replay and saw 5 pancakes on a run play which leads to if half of your team is down how do you expect them to catch the running back?

lol! I've seen that as well ...the team pancake. Seems like something where the anim AI trigger the same one at the same time.

do you think they should fix that and it will make it easier to get tackles with defenders standing or do you think they should leave it in.

I think they should leave THAT animation in. There just needs to be more so the AI will have more options to select from.

I wish they'd bring back the Upper/Lower body attributes...not sure why they removed those but I always felt these affected blocking outcomes alot.

Uh oh...this is turning into a wishlist thread.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:32 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
the zone coverage needs to be tighter and cover the zones where they can make a move on the ball when the pass is thrown.

I was done for the night but I had to comment on this. It has to be better. I don't care how bad a player is if he is in a zone in the redzone and he sees the QB throw the ball and has plenty of time to make a play on it he aint gonna just let the WR catch in the endzone. I am sooooooo tempted to...Nevamind.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:08 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
i want it that way so you can get your full speed without mashing your controller. Another thing is when i switch to try to catch a RB it seems like the computer runs faster with the guy and i think if you just held the turbo button you could run your fastest to catch somebody easier. running with turbo and building a charge tackle at the same time would be nasty. second thought is that even possible hold turbo with a charge with x and y to tackle? it can be good make it hard to pull it off so you have to decide.

Kanobi said:
The mechanic is fine as is. This seems to only be a problem for Madden players new to nfl2k controls. The sheer amount of moves and tight control of the running is the best I've seen. I don't think VC should change it...especially to appease more Madden fans. ESPNFL has enough pub now where VC can focus on the current fanbase and not have to worry too much about accomodating Madden fans making the transition. If anything these guys need to use the tutorial and practice modes to get accustomed to the controls. I don't think the running game in espnfl should be Maddenized. Its pretty tight the way it is.

I think VC did more than enough or at least more than what I would've done to get more Madden players to give ESPN a try. The gameplay has always been 2K/ESPNs strong suit and yes VC has to catch up a little more in the off-field aspect but on the field has never really been a problem.

Heres my take on the speed burst and charge system in 2K/ESPN. Football videogames try to give you the feeling of running, throwing and tackling in the NFL. In the real NFL the faster you turn your legs the faster you will run. The faster you tap the "A" button (Xbox Version) the faster you run in ESPN. It all adds to the experience. When you make a 70 yard run in ESPN you feel like you did something. You made the player run faster and if you let up he would'v got tackled. You also have to control his direction in traffic. You can slow him down or speed him up by tapping faster or tapping slower that's up to you. In Madden you just hold the button and just watch the player do all the work and you don't get the same experience. The same goes for tackling you just want to bump into and tackle someone of do you want to charge-up and bring the pain. 2K/ESPN gives that to you and Madden just don't. I like the game that gives me more realistic on-the-field choices. ESPNs gameplay isn't perfect but darn close to it or a lot closer than Madden is. ESPNs gameplay is so close to perfect I don't know what VC could possibly do to make it better next season.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:29 AM   #20
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Quote:

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
i want it that way so you can get your full speed without mashing your controller. Another thing is when i switch to try to catch a RB it seems like the computer runs faster with the guy and i think if you just held the turbo button you could run your fastest to catch somebody easier. running with turbo and building a charge tackle at the same time would be nasty. second thought is that even possible hold turbo with a charge with x and y to tackle? it can be good make it hard to pull it off so you have to decide.

Kanobi said:
The mechanic is fine as is. This seems to only be a problem for Madden players new to nfl2k controls. The sheer amount of moves and tight control of the running is the best I've seen. I don't think VC should change it...especially to appease more Madden fans. ESPNFL has enough pub now where VC can focus on the current fanbase and not have to worry too much about accomodating Madden fans making the transition. If anything these guys need to use the tutorial and practice modes to get accustomed to the controls. I don't think the running game in espnfl should be Maddenized. Its pretty tight the way it is.

I think VC did more than enough or at least more than what I would've done to get more Madden players to give ESPN a try. The gameplay has always been 2K/ESPNs strong suit and yes VC has to catch up a little more in the off-field aspect but on the field has never really been a problem.

Heres my take on the speed burst and charge system in 2K/ESPN. Football videogames try to give you the feeling of running, throwing and tackling in the NFL. In the real NFL the faster you turn your legs the faster you will run. The faster you tap the "A" button (Xbox Version) the faster you run in ESPN. It all adds to the experience. When you make a 70 yard run in ESPN you feel like you did something. You made the player run faster and if you let up he would'v got tackled. You also have to control his direction in traffic. You can slow him down or speed him up by tapping faster or tapping slower that's up to you. In Madden you just hold the button and just watch the player do all the work and you don't get the same experience. The same goes for tackling you just want to bump into and tackle someone of do you want to charge-up and bring the pain. 2K/ESPN gives that to you and Madden just don't. I like the game that gives me more realistic on-the-field choices. ESPNs gameplay isn't perfect but darn close to it or a lot closer than Madden is. ESPNs gameplay is so close to perfect I don't know what VC could possibly do to make it better next season.

EXACTLY!!
Old 09-23-2003, 01:49 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Quote:

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:

Kanobi said:

button mashing is so mike tyson punch out. it's 2003 im not gonna my controller and spend another $30
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2003, 05:41 AM   #22
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

cripes man how hard do you mash the buttons!! I have yet to break any controller and its only one friggin button your pressing and its tapping fast not mashing

button mashing = Soul Calibur <---- now thats button mashing pressing two or three buttons at the same time to do a move is button mashing

VC is not going to change this and im glad! TAPPING the button separates them from the competition if people have a problem with this there are other football games out there to choose from
Old 09-23-2003, 09:39 AM   #23
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

I hate button mashing, but I think VC may see this as a way of getting the player move involved in the game. I can certainly understand that and it would lead me to believe that they will not even consider changing it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

From the defensive side of the ball, would you say that this game is designed for you, the user, to switch and make all the plays?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »