Home

How is this for a solution to the RB breaking tackles

This is a discussion on How is this for a solution to the RB breaking tackles within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2003, 12:12 PM   #17
Pro

kirkangil's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How is this for a solution to the RB breaking tackles

I wish someone would admit there is a slight problem with broken tackles. Edgerrin james had 38 broken tackles against the ravens a good tackling team. He broke about 10 rays tackles by him self im not complaining but is a little ridiculous.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:15 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Ok the thing about the blocking sliders being all the way up is to prevent the RB getting tackled behind the LOS all the time. Well it doesn't happen all the time, but in my game I feel it happens enough.

Anyone ever play with CPU blocking all the way up and observe the running game?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:18 PM   #19
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

kirkangil said:
I wish someone would admit there is a slight problem with broken tackles. Edgerrin james had 38 broken tackles against the ravens a good tackling team. He broke about 10 rays tackles by him self im not complaining but is a little ridiculous.

I was getting burnt for 20+ broken tackles a game also at on point. I learned my defense and thier playbook, now the cpus broken tackles dont go over 15. And my RB usually get 10-15 a game also. So I would consider myself right on track.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #20
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:

Graphik said:
Quote:

kirkangil said:

I was getting burnt for 20+ broken tackles a game also at on point. I learned my defense and thier playbook, now the cpus broken tackles dont go over 15. And my RB usually get 10-15 a game also. So I would consider myself right on track.

This is what I have been saying. Learn the playbook. Learn how to play with in the scheme of the defense, and you will see results.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:23 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:

bkrich83 said:
Tomlinson ran through at least 3 Lewis tackles that I counted this week. Just for a reference. That doesn't include the time he juked him out of his jock on a swing pass. It's rare but even the great ones get their tackles broken.

I see what you are sayin. I guess I just suck. Maybe it's the way I play. For the past few year releases, most of them EA games, I have only controlled one guy on D and let the CPU control everyone else. I guess I gotta keep switching and trying to tackle but when I do that it's lites out for me.

This is slowly becoming more trouble, for me, than it's worth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #22
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

If its one thing I learned, is that blitzing is not a part of life in this game. I even went so far as to add more man coverage plays to my playbook.

If you Blitz to much, you're asking to get burned. Playing Man or zone coverage makes all LBs and DBs pursue the ball carrier which leads to less broken tackles by the cpu because help usually comes to push the RB down.

So in other words, I play defense conservativly. I only try to blitz one LB are certain points when I know they'll run. And one play I sugess everyone steer away from. Is the Blitz all play in the 4-3 defense. It never works and it gets all of your DBs blocked allowing a big run. Do Not Use.

Also, assigning your best LB to a RB helps also. If you're not doing that yet, you must be new to this game.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #23
MVP

sportdan30's Arena

OVR: 13

What I have found to be most effective in containing these running backs and I just discovered it last night is to assign a defender to him in defensive "game plan". For instance, last night I was playing against the 49ers and Barlow started running all over me. I was getting extremely frusturated beyond belief. Then I remembered because I was having success containing T. Owens with double coverage, perhaps I could also stop Mr. Barlow. So, I assigned a linebacker and saftey to cover Barlow and guess what? It worked. Now, the key is not to control that assigned defender but to obviously assist them in stopping the run. I held Barlow to average gains of about 3 or 4 yards compared to 8-10 yards before. If you haven't given this a try, it's worth experimenting with.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:29 PM   #24
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:

NoleFan said:
Quote:

bkrich83 said:
Tomlinson ran through at least 3 Lewis tackles that I counted this week. Just for a reference. That doesn't include the time he juked him out of his jock on a swing pass. It's rare but even the great ones get their tackles broken.

I see what you are sayin. I guess I just suck. Maybe it's the way I play. For the past few year releases, most of them EA games, I have only controlled one guy on D and let the CPU control everyone else. I guess I gotta keep switching and trying to tackle but when I do that it's lites out for me.

This is slowly becoming more trouble, for me, than it's worth.

Personally I can see how this game would be frustrated coming from someone playing Madden. As I have a hell of a time playing defense in ESPN, if I have been playing Madden at all. (I switch back and forth between games). In Madden you can free lance a lot more and make plays. In ESPN, if you free lance, and don't make the big play you are likely to give up a big play. Whereas if you play within the confines of the defense called, you are less likely to make a big play, but less likely to give one up. This is the way it works on the field for real, but it's also much more difficult, and I can see how it's frustrating. Because every time I play ESPN, after an extended time of playing Madden I get smoked. The two games play so differently you have to have a different mind set to be succesful in them. (I also get smoked in Madden, after playing ESPN for extended periods of time).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »