Home

Pass protection v. the speed rush

This is a discussion on Pass protection v. the speed rush within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13
Pass protection v. the speed rush

I have noticed that my tackles often have problems against various DE's especially against the speed rush.

The odd thing is, it is not one player. In preseaon game #1, Greg Ellis took Lincoln Kennedy to school (my RT). He ran by him , around him ,etc. often untouched. I got lit up for 6 sacks, all by Ellis.

Game #2 against the Texans I get rolled again, whereas this time Barry sims (my LT) cannot slow down or stop Jerry Deloach. (a little more believable since Sims has problems sometimes with the speed rush as seen in the Super Bowl and vs. Tennesee this year).

One one hand it does happen in the NFL that a particular player might be having an off day, and a particular defensive player gets the better of him and wears him out all afternoon. On the other hand, neither of the DE's giving me fits had exceptional speed or pass rushing ability.

Having said that, what attribute causes this???

Ellis is a decent DE, but he is not going to run by Lincoln Kennedy all game. I can only imagine what Jevon Kearse is going to do in the season opener.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Pass protection v. the speed rush

Quote:

Howie75 said:
I can only imagine what Jevon Kearse is going to do in the season opener.

Rich Gannon ------> <-----Titans Defense(Jevon Kearse)

He is going to knock you the F*** out!!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:52 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

Howie75 said:
I have noticed that my tackles often have problems against various DE's especially against the speed rush.

The odd thing is, it is not one player. In preseaon game #1, Greg Ellis took Lincoln Kennedy to school (my RT). He ran by him , around him ,etc. often untouched. I got lit up for 6 sacks, all by Ellis.

Game #2 against the Texans I get rolled again, whereas this time Barry sims (my LT) cannot slow down or stop Jerry Deloach. (a little more believable since Sims has problems sometimes with the speed rush as seen in the Super Bowl and vs. Tennesee this year).

One one hand it does happen in the NFL that a particular player might be having an off day, and a particular defensive player gets the better of him and wears him out all afternoon. On the other hand, neither of the DE's giving me fits had exceptional speed or pass rushing ability.

Having said that, what attribute causes this???

Ellis is a decent DE, but he is not going to run by Lincoln Kennedy all game. I can only imagine what Jevon Kearse is going to do in the season opener.

I really don't know. Have you looked at the attributes of your Tackles? Maybe there is something there that is causing them to have trouble with the speedy DEs.

But, then again, maybe it is not an attribute problem. How many draws and screens do you run? Those plays are designed to slow the pass rush. I had that problem, than I ran a few draws and screens, to keep the D-line honest, and that slowed them down. I don't think a gave up a sack for the rest of the game.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

1 reason this may be happening is that you may be dropping back too far. I had this problem where speed rushers were getting to me because I wasnt stepping up into the pocket. If you drop back really far the DE can just run straight around the tackle, but if you step forward into the pocket to throw they have to either go ALL the way around him and back, or through him.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

mike06 said:
1 reason this may be happening is that you may be dropping back too far. I had this problem where speed rushers were getting to me because I wasnt stepping up into the pocket. If you drop back really far the DE can just run straight around the tackle, but if you step forward into the pocket to throw they have to either go ALL the way around him and back, or through him.

That is definitely true, but the one that has me scratching my head was watching Jerry Deloach blow past Sims to the inside as SIms took a Step back and looked outward for some reason. Perhaps the drop was too short. I will have to check it out further.

One thing that is a blessing and a curse at the same time is the multitude of ratings and how they all have an effect.

For example, perhaps Sims has a low consistency rating ,and /or low composure...low compousre would seem to equal getting rattled easily and thereby becoming less efective.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ive never really noticed too much preassure up the middle on me unless i take way too long to throw. ANother thing is to try not to roll out to one particular side all the time, mix it up a bit cuz if they blitz or get anyone through on the side your rolling to your QB is done.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

mike06 said:

I have noticed the same thing as Howie and I let the CPU control the drop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »