Home

Injuries.. ? Is my game broke.? I see none..!

This is a discussion on Injuries.. ? Is my game broke.? I see none..! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Injuries.. ? Is my game broke.? I see none..!

Quote:

CleveCluby said:
Laxman490

The question was about Injuries, But I will be glad to answer yours the best I can. Only because I have heard this question 100 times.

First of all, I am 52 years old. Do to circumstances in my life, My hands are not that dexterous. Yet I love sports. FB, BB, Golf. That’s why I work part time for a pro teams.

There are seven of us that have had a in house league since Christmas of 1992, When I bought my wife our first computer. I also purchased Dynamix FB.. Hardball, Tony Larussa, and a few other sports games for myself. From that day forward. I was spell bound. I could still play ball.

That Christmas morning, My cousin, and a couple of my friends whom have always been involved in sports, did nothing but play Dynamix FB every chance we got. ( my wife never seen the computer after that. )

The first thing I did was got in touch with Doug Johnson, from Dynamix, One of the creators of the game and the lead programmer. I spent countless hrs. on the phone with him and learned many things about the game. I even shared some Ideas with him. I was the first person to ever post on the Sierra board, which got me 7 free Fb96 games. ( which I still have )

Anyway, As we are all about the same age, being thumb jockeys was not part of our forte. We never grew up with video games so we weren't used to joysticks. But every Sunday, They would all gather at my house where we would build our teams, set the rosters, make our trades, put in our game plans etc. Then set back and watch it all play out before our eyes.

Who was the smartest coach, Who built the best team, who, made the smartest trades, who choose the best game plans. Who could take their team all the way.

We created our own rules, All games were to be watched, that way everything was equal, you couldn't win because you had better hands or quicker moves. You had to win because you were smarter, You had to out think the other guy. If you won it was because you created a better team and a better GP. just like real FB.

We did have a rule that allowed you to get in and Coach, Call your own plays in the last to minutes of the half, Only if you were loosing because and only against CPU teams. But we really never did that.

We put in money, Bought trophy’s, Jackets, plaques for the winners. My wonderful wife would cook Sunday dinner for all the guys, We would compete against each other, drink a few beers and have a ball. All day long.

This still continues to this day. But we are currently playing with Madden 2k3.. And when it is Baseball season, We play a league in HH baseball.

We are owners. We draft players. We trade, We build, We do whatever it takes to make the best club, We love realism, If my RB gets 1500 yds in a season, I want it to be because of his talent based on my game plans, based on my decision’s, Based on me hiring the right coach, based on the offensive line I built for him.

Did I pick the best player in the DRAFT, or did I screw up and miss him. Will he be the next superstar. or did I pick a looser.?

I don't want an Ave. RB getting 1500 yds because I can use a controller better than Gary and his Star RB getting 100 yds because he can't.

I had always been involved in sports, played and coached BB in my adult life. This was a way to still be apart of it.

I and my friends want the thinking mans part of the game, I don't want to see if I can out maneuver the game, I want to see If I can out think it. Our leagues have always been based on this. That is also why we test. To get as much realism as possible.

It seems as though people just can’t understand why we play Coach mode or owner mode. It is simply for the realism based on knowledge, Not thumb skill.. We are stat freaks also.

As I have asked before. Why do you watch FB on TV or go to games. You are not involved, How could you possibly enjoy yourself. You’re not calling the plays, you’re not running the RB. You are simply watching. So why do you do that ??????

I have read so many times. WHY would you pay 50 dollare for a game you just watch.. Well why would you pay 50 dollars for an NFL ticket to a game you can only watch once...?????

Because it’s exciting, you never know what to expect. The joy, the disappointments. The thrill of the game its self.

Well that’s what we do, Except we are a part of it. The thinking part. And those of us that play this way.. LOVE IT.

Now you know !….

Excellent! I can definetly relate to it! Though the only difference is I like the coach mode thru the entire game. But there are problems with that in the CPU (at least in last years version on the Xbox) on many plays. It would be very stacked against the human opponent. This year seems to be a bit better. ESPN 2K4 while to me is not as good overall as Madden2004 (AND I AM A DIE HARD SEGA MAN, so this is hard to admit) it has something that Madden doesn't. The coach mode. This year the game looks so real when in a TV style presentation I still swear at times I am watching a real game. In fact this is the truth...A friend came over and glanced at my TV and could not believe the Viking game was on already. He of course realized it was a video game in a second but for that one instance he wasactually seeing a real game. It helped to that I had the game controls hidden..but you get the point.

Your response isgreat. I can honestly say i enjoy the coaching aspect better too. Not because I don't like the buttons, but because it is more realistic. You are totally correct. An average RB should not be gaining 1500 yards in a season. Sure there are exceptions, but on the whole it does not happen.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:39 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

CleveCluby, I also play coach-mode for the same reasons you so eloquently stated. I also go back to the original Front Page Sports Football, and followed it all the way through the '99 debacle. It's really a shame how that great series came to such a crashing halt before it ever really reached its potential. I also picked up on the VPNFL package and I agree it enhanced the game tremendously. Were you involved with that project?

Anyway, I just want to say I appeciate all your work trying to make this game as realistic as possible. I'm starting a franchise now using your suggestions in the other thread.

And to answer your question, yes I am seeing 2-3 injuries a game in coach vs. CPU mode. I am playing the PS2 version - maybe that is the difference?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:17 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

I just peeked in to see what this thread was about. I read CleveCluby post and it was the most eloquent and heartfelt response that I have read on any message board to date.

That was the kinda post that makes you wanna go out and play a coach mode or watched game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
Pro

Thank you for the kind words..

BTW, I have finally seen an injury happen, As a matter of fact, 2 in one game. It was a Coach vs CPU game.. But I still have not seen any in CPU vs CPU..

Thanks again everyone..
Old 10-08-2003, 09:34 AM   #13
Pro

Even though I have seen a few injuries now, It appears that they only happen in the first few minutes of a game, I have not seen one after the first QT. Has anyone else.

Also, when there is an injury, the announcers say they will give you a report as soon as they hear about it.. Has anyone ever heard a report from the announcers.. I haven't. !!!

Just wondering.?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:36 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

no, there is no actual report. Not sure why because it was in last years game. You have to pause the game to find out what happened to them.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 14

Has anyone had a career ending injury before?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #16
Pro

Thanks Heelfan..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »