Home

After the initial shine of the presentation wore off,

This is a discussion on After the initial shine of the presentation wore off, within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #25
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: After the initial shine of the presentation wore off,

Quote:

bigtiggalsu said:
dragon I wish I had your problem. Right now I can't score on the CPU and I mean I am not doing that "I'll take easy on the CPU and not exploit the AI" I am trying my hardest to do what ever it takes to score. On defense I am having good games. What I did was adjust all the sliders not just tweaks here and there. I haven't touched the sliders in about 2 weeks and I am still getting my arse kicked but its fun games.And they are defensive and they make me think. I work for my sacks or I out coach the CPu nothing comes easy. I did have some issues with the game especially after Abner and Jrod came out their complaints with money plays and I tweaked and tweaked but now the game is playing great I have no problems on any side of the ball if you don't like the game its all good but if you still want to play it try to find the best way to play it.

I'm happy that you're getting your moneys worth. It all depends on one's skill level as to how difficult a game can be. I was in your position at first, but after about two weeks of playing it, I started noticing the flaws and that's when the game lost its luster. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy the game and I hope you continue to do so until the release of 2K5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2003, 07:14 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

PrimeTime21 said:
If you notice all complaints are made against the computer do you guys have friends? Xbox Live hello PS2 network adapter hello. You can run money plays on the computer in any game the computer AI has limits try playing humans. there was also a topic saying the computer broke 42 tackles i'm like play a friend on legend and see if you break 20. Money plays don't work against anybody with skills they adjust and shut it down so my advice is go online to the legend room and get ya azz handed to ya a couple times then you'll shut up.

I was going to say the same thing Prime but you beat me to it. These CPU bullies are a joke.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:07 AM   #27
Pro

OVR: 6

I play other people all the time. But I also love playing in Franchise mode and managing my team through multiple seasons. As I'm sure many others do too.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:55 AM   #28
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:

BlackNGold said:
I play other people all the time. But I also love playing in Franchise mode and managing my team through multiple seasons. As I'm sure many others do too.

That's cool but the overwhelming majority of "gripes" come from folks who don't seem to realize that there will always be flaws inherent when only playing against the CPU. These flaws become less obvious when playing human comp.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

BlackNGold said:

i have Madden and it's not a good game at all this year so it's like ESPN or Madden. The gameplay in ESPN is second to none and you'll just waste another $50 on another game.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #30
Pro

OVR: 6

Also in response to the original post..have you ever heard of "house rules" every game needs them to up the realistic aspect of a game.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:03 PM   #31
Rookie

Muerte777's Arena

OVR: 3

"...the fact that this game plays like it’s on 8-directional movement..."
Really? Statements like this lack credibility based on ambiguity alone. This is a fact? 8-directional movement? Unlikely. "plays like"? What does that mean? I've played the game, I don't see it.

According to the post, VC won't "have a clue" as to what to fix next year, without the help of Dragon4ever. How is this criticism constructive? If the point is to say that VC doesn't know anything about game development, I would bet otherwise. If the point is to say that VC won't listen to consumers, I would say history would prove this stance inaccurate also.

I think it' s great that people want to see the game get better, every year it has. But there are those on here that say ESPN Football needs thousands more animations, better AI, better balancing, etc., without considering the effort, time, memory, technological limitations required to raise the bar every year. It IS raised every year. However, every year there are things that could be done better.

:...With that being said, it’s clear as day that NCAA is by far the best game this year..."
This statment doesn't sound at all like a consumer opinion. Judging by the amount of consumers that enjoy ESPN, the day is a little cloudy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #32
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

Quote:

dragon4ever said:
the flaws in this game started becoming more apparent. At first I had no idea why people were complaining about the lack of realism in certain situations throughout the game, but after numerous hours I’ve spent playing this game, I now see all the negative hype surrounding this game is unfortunately all too true.

First of all, the automatic completion % with your slot receiver on a slant route is almost guaranteed, no matter what level of difficulty you play on, or what slider adjustments you are using. Just to test this out, I played a game on Legend with all the CPU defensive sliders set to max and I was able to still win the game using only ONE play. I passed the ball to the same receiver on every play and I was able to complete about 80% of my throws. Needless to say, not only did I beat the CPU (Miami Dolphins) by a considerable margin, I exploited the greatest flaw this game has to offer. I have no idea why Sega/VC decided to dumb down the DB A.I. and make this game more offensive minded. Personally I think last year’s defensive A.I. was more challenging than this year’s.

Secondly, I found a “money” defensive play that allows your outside LB’s to get about 5+ sacks each! Go to the 4-3 defensive scheme, then chose the play where it shows both your OLB’s blitzing. After you chose that play, audible your OLB’S to the outside, take control of your DT, and then watch your OLB’s sack the QB almost on every down. It’s a damn shame when I can beat the computer by using only ONE play continuously on offense and defense.

Stat tracking is way off. The LB tackling stat doesn’t really bother me too much, but there’s no excuse that the DB’s (computer controlled) in this game only average 10 tackles a season.

Last but not least, while the run game in general is nice and probably it’s best feature, the fluidity and transition of cutting/turning up field is downright atrocious. I just can’t accept the fact that this game plays like it’s on 8-directional movement. During punt/kick returns, it feels like I’m playing a game of Resident Evil.

I am in no way trying to bash this game; it’s just that the flaws outweigh what could have been an amazing football game, and now I’m left with a bitter taste in my mouth, so to speak. Looks like I’ll be taking back my copy of ESPN for store credit. Until next year, I shall continue to play the best football game as of now… NCAA.

I can tell you right now what the problem is: You are playing the computer - these games were designed to take advantage of multiplayer games - not you vs the CPU over and over and over. The CPU can not only become predictable - but they play game situations using the same few methods over and over.

Play a real person bro.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »