Home

ESPN Football outsells Madden on Xbox

This is a discussion on ESPN Football outsells Madden on Xbox within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2003, 09:23 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: ESPN Football outsells Madden on Xbox

jistic i agree. i like madden and that is why i bought it. I live overseas and have never seen an ad. i also bought espn (which now rests in its box). i also have matel football from the old days, intellivsion and nintendo 64. people buy games because they like it not because of the maker. some one compared a video game to a car (toyota)? a 50$ purchase = a $30,000 dollar one? If Baskin Robbins made a better football game than Madden I would buy it.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:28 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

dano said:
jistic i agree. i like madden and that is why i bought it. I live overseas and have never seen an ad. i also bought espn (which now rests in its box). i also have matel football from the old days, intellivsion and nintendo 64. people buy games because they like it not because of the maker. some one compared a video game to a car (toyota)? a 50$ purchase = a $30,000 dollar one? If Baskin Robbins made a better football game than Madden I would buy it.

I also compared a $50 purchase to a $10 one (ticket to a Spielberg movie). So?

Whenever I read comments along the lines of "No consumer cares who makes something" or "Nobody buys something just because it's the leader", they are immediately dismissed. Why do you think EA, every year, puts "The #1 Selling [insert sport] Franchise" on every videogame cover that applies?

And it makes me think whoever subscribes to that thought needs to read the classic marketing book, Positioning by Al Ries and Jack Trout. In fact, everybody should... it's a great book; interesting to the layman, too.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:24 AM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

snowmizer said:
Quote:

dano said:

I also compared a $50 purchase to a $10 one (ticket to a Spielberg movie). So?

Whenever I read comments along the lines of "No consumer cares who makes something" or "Nobody buys something just because it's the leader", they are immediately dismissed. Why do you think EA, every year, puts "The #1 Selling [insert sport] Franchise" on every videogame cover that applies?

And it makes me think whoever subscribes to that thought needs to read the classic marketing book, Positioning by Al Ries and Jack Trout. In fact, everybody should... it's a great book; interesting to the layman, too.

I would never question you oh mighty one. Dismissing someone else's comments just shows one thing...ignorance. WHich again proves my point. This argument is absurd and it never ends. After all of our 'expert' opinion on all these topics about sales, player models, realistic gameplay, blah blah blah. All we have left are numbers. Yes Madden outsold ESPN, AGAIN, and by a LOT. But so what? They aren't going out of business, are they?

You sell when you make a game everybody wants, plain and simple. Look at GTA III. When that first came out, nobody cared. They didn't have all these commercials and advertising campaigns. They got great reviews and WORD OF MOUTH. All of a sudden this became a MUST HAVE game. GTA 1 and 2 were only modest sellers. When your game is great, people will know it, sooner or later. I could care less what any book says, at the end of the day people go for what they think is the best game. Now EVERYBODY knows that a new GTA game is coming out so the game sells itself. They don't even need a damn commercial.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

DrEvil1996 said:
Quote:

espn_king said:
Quote:

nastyshoes69 said:
madden will always outsell espn,its just a fact.You guys like go crazy if espn does somthing better than madden.

madden sold out espn because its named after john madden

I think that the fact that ESPN beat Madden in September on XBox but got killed on the PS2 proves that features (i.e. Online play) are really what matters, not John Madden's name.

yeah tru dat tru dat
Old 10-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

jistic said:
You sell when you make a game everybody wants, plain and simple. Look at GTA III. When that first came out, nobody cared. They didn't have all these commercials and advertising campaigns. They got great reviews and WORD OF MOUTH. All of a sudden this became a MUST HAVE game. GTA 1 and 2 were only modest sellers. When your game is great, people will know it, sooner or later. I could care less what any book says, at the end of the day people go for what they think is the best game. Now EVERYBODY knows that a new GTA game is coming out so the game sells itself. They don't even need a damn commercial.

"You sell when you make a game everybody wants, plain and simple."

Okay, so what factors affect whether a product is something that people actually want? Simply greatness? That's the only factor? The greatest product wins every time in the marketplace?

"I could care less what any book says, at the end of the day people go for what they think is the best game".

Well, what do you know? You just wrote what ignorant ol' me would write... What they think is the best? Why didn't you write, 'At the end of the day, people will go for the best?

Funny how you don't care what the book says, yet it does a great job of explaining how companies in the past used various factors to get people to think that their product or service is the best... how it's positioned in the consumer's mind.

Nowhere in this thread have I written, "I own ESPN/Madden and it rulzzzzz; everybody should buy it", or "I played ESPN/Madden and it suxxxx". In fact, you'll rarely see me post in the football section... it doesn't matter much to me.

You certainly haven't seen me rant in the following style...

Quote:

ohmigod can't you just let it go? Who cares who bought what? Since you'll never be able to come to grips that more people actually like Madden better than ESPN, you'll only get frustrated EVERY year. I know it's hard to fathom that fact. It's always nice to think everybody is a zombie and only buys games based on those evil 'Slick advertising campaigns', but could it be that just maybe...maybe a 1% chance that they ACTUALLY LIKE THE GAME? You don't have to like Madden, you like ESPN, you bought ESPN, and ESPN will be out again next year, so quick freaking out about sales numbers and review scores and go back to playing you game!

There are just some pretty basic untruths floating around in this thread that drew me in.

If pointing them out means an attempt at an insult along the lines of, "I would never question you oh mighty one", so be it.

I'll not respond further; this thread has run it's course.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »