Home

Known bug with challenges??

This is a discussion on Known bug with challenges?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Known bug with challenges??

I was playing a game in my franchise last night, Lions (me) vs. the Seahawks in Seattle. All settings on defaul All-Pro.

Late in the 4th quarter I drive the length of the field after they pinned me deep on a punt. I get the ball down near their endzone and end up with a 1st & ten on the 13. I manage to eek out a few yards and bring it to a 3rd and 3, and then after a short run it's 4th and inches on the 3 yardline. So since it's late and the score is tied I decide to go for it and not kick the field goal...I was running well on them so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I run the play on a toss left, clearly make the first down by nearly a yard, but the refs call me down and ball is turned over on downs. Knowing that I made it I call a challenge...they review...show the replay...say how I'm clearly past the marker...and then the call is overturned.

Problem is that I didn't get the ball back and the CPU had it 1st & ten on his on 3. Then the CPU proceeds too drive down the field and score a TD and use up most of the time on the 3 minutes remaining in the game - score 24-17 and that ended up being the final. He definitely earned every yard of that drive, but it was still kind of a pisser to see it wrenched away like that.

Is this is a rare quirk and has anyone else run across it?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Known bug with challenges??

Quote:

Classless said:
I was playing a game in my franchise last night, Lions (me) vs. the Seahawks in Seattle. All settings on defaul All-Pro.

Late in the 4th quarter I drive the length of the field after they pinned me deep on a punt. I get the ball down near their endzone and end up with a 1st & ten on the 13. I manage to eek out a few yards and bring it to a 3rd and 3, and then after a short run it's 4th and inches on the 3 yardline. So since it's late and the score is tied I decide to go for it and not kick the field goal...I was running well on them so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I run the play on a toss left, clearly make the first down by nearly a yard, but the refs call me down and ball is turned over on downs. Knowing that I made it I call a challenge...they review...show the replay...say how I'm clearly past the marker...and then the call is overturned.

Problem is that I didn't get the ball back and the CPU had it 1st & ten on his on 3. Then the CPU proceeds too drive down the field and score a TD and use up most of the time on the 3 minutes remaining in the game - score 24-17 and that ended up being the final. He definitely earned every yard of that drive, but it was still kind of a pisser to see it wrenched away like that.

Is this is a rare quirk and has anyone else run across it?

Thanks.

it's a quirk, but not a bug. What happened is the call was overturned, but the new spot you got still wasn't a first down. Therefore the computer got the ball first and 10 at their own 3. Spot of the ball challenges can be a bit confusing, you can win the challenge and not be charged a timeout, but not get the desired outcome from the challenge (ie a first down). Just has to do with where they respotted the ball
Old 10-21-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Rookie

Ah..I had not considered the possibility that they would have still spotted it short of the 1st down. I guess one has to question the logic. If they are going to change the spot why wouldn't that only happen if it would change the outcome of the play?

Not complaining about this or anything, just trying to understand it more fully.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:

mgoblue said:
it's a quirk, but not a bug. What happened is the call was overturned, but the new spot you got still wasn't a first down. Therefore the computer got the ball first and 10 at their own 3. Spot of the ball challenges can be a bit confusing, you can win the challenge and not be charged a timeout, but not get the desired outcome from the challenge (ie a first down). Just has to do with where they respotted the ball

That would, of course, be true - but several people, myself included, have already said that there is a bug.

In my case, I needed to get to the CPU 20 to get the first down (it was 4th and 3). I made it, but it was called short, so I challenged. I won the challenge but the CPU got the ball ON THEIR 19!

The refs were saying I made it to the 19, but still didn't give me the first.

A minor bug.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
Captain Sarcastic

OVR: 6

I also have seen this rear it's ugly head. 3nd and forever, and I pass it short, and then it says I fumble. A late hit on the QB was called which I have found out to many times is an auto first down. I challanged the fumble, and got the ball back, but the penalty was not assesed, and I was still 4th and forever. Irritating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
Rookie

It is a bug somewhat though. In the NFL if you challenge the spot and they change it but it doesn't get a first down/stop a first down you're still charged the timeout.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Moral of the story "Kick the field goal!"
Old 10-23-2003, 06:52 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Moral of the story "Kick the field goal!"