Home

What's so good about ESPN that a madden player will want to switch?

This is a discussion on What's so good about ESPN that a madden player will want to switch? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #9
MVP

bball_1523's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What\'s so good about ESPN that a madden player will want to switch?

I played espn football once at gamecrazy last week. I really enjoyed the presentation and graphics, it made madden look like nothing.

The gameplay I didn't play too much so I can't judge yet. I didn't like the super high lob passes and the game seemed slow (maybe madden is too fast??). I didn't know the controls too well but by half-time I was up 7-3 with my niners, and that's when I stopped playing because I felt that was good enough at gamecrazy (didn't want to hog).

I'm not too concerned about owner mode in madden since I bearly ever pay attention to numbers and my financial situation, although I like knowing how much players are making and decide from them who I can add to my roster, drop, etc. I also enjoy Madden's training camp.

What about the gameplay makes espn better than madden?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:33 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What\'s so good about ESPN that a madden player will want to switch

I felt the same way when I first played the demo, slowness. just takes awhile to get used to.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM   #11
Pro

PDex's Arena

OVR: 7

1. Gameplay
2. XBL support
3. The Crib....hey, it keeps me playing more.
4. Superior graphics
5. First person football
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2003, 12:44 AM   #12
MVP

bball_1523's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

PDex said:
1. Gameplay
2. XBL support
3. The Crib....hey, it keeps me playing more.
4. Superior graphics
5. First person football

my #1 concern would be gameplay, I don't care about crib, first person, but graphics are nice.

Is this game pretty easy or is it even harder than madden, especially at pro level? I can bearly win on pro level...lol
Old 10-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 17

Many like it becuase it's not Madden, simple as that.

Others because they hate madden and want a different football experience.

On the whole, ESPN probably is less of a sim than Madden, but it has responsive gameplay and quite a bit of involvement on the field which gives the user a different feeling of gameplay. Most will argue that it's more realistic than Madden.

I think if you are looking for gameplay, stats, franchise play then you aren't going to be convinced when you play. However if you like to have a more involving football game and not be nitpicky aobut the gameplay in certain areas, definately not all, then ESPN will get it's money's worth.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:06 AM   #14
MVP

cookusu's Arena

OVR: 13

For me it just feels more real, like I am more involved. That my play calling matters and then once the play develops, the same play develops a different way everytime you run it and you constantly have to adjust to what the defense is doing, even while running the play. Not too mention it looks awesome and the sound and announcers blow Madden away.

I manage a Gamestop and even some diehard Madden people like ESPN this year, but the people that are only interested in mutliplayer especially online, can't seem to enjoy ESPN. I think they are just too hooked on the Madden On-line thing, and don't want to take the time to get better at another game.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:11 AM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Bball,

The thing I liked most about ESPN over Madden is that the offenses don't all become unstoppable in the 4th quarter.

Since you asked about flaws, here are a few IMO:
1. RB's do break a few too many tackles on default. Sliders and experience make this managable though.
2. The game tracks plenty of stats, but they aren't nearly as polished or organized as EA. For example, you can't break stats down by divisions.
3. To where as controlling an EA player has a "Gliding" sensation to it, Sega has a bit of a herky jerky feel to it. Not really a flaw, but something you will notice.
4. I wouldn't say the Flag routes are money, but I definately have a disproportionate rate of success with them.

I just point out those minor issues because you asked. I really like this game and I am totally satisfied with my NFL gaming decision this year. I agree with the great things that the others brought up. Good luck either way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2003, 01:49 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 6

the crib is useless in franchise mode. it is only good for default quaters set to 5 minutes. but with 5 minute quarters you don't get realistic stats.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »