Home

I'm interested in ESPN but I'd like a few things cleared first

This is a discussion on I'm interested in ESPN but I'd like a few things cleared first within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2003, 02:37 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: I\'m interested in ESPN but I\'d like a few things cleared first

Oh, I forgot to mention about the Playmaker control of Madden 2004. It is the best NFL video game feature ever. If you play Madden first, you will get spoiled my the playmaker control that you will start to think ESPN is not that good when you play it. ESPN is a game that you need to play deeper inorder to see it's good sides while Madden is a game you could pick first and have fun easily.

If you don't have extensive knowledge about NFL in general, I suggest Madden because it is so easy to learn the basic from there. One of my major gripes about ESPN (not a game killer though) is that you can't play any other teams aside those teams you selected when you start your Franchise. In Madden you could transfer from one team to another which is really sweet since that will keep you from being bored. Unless you are a disciple of an specific team then by all means ESPN and you can't get wrong with that choice.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:27 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 8

Does the game have realistic inconsistency? Meaning long drives with several first down for both you and the CPU that just suddenly stall cause the defense suddenly feels like a concrete wall. Are there games when you can get lots of yardage but you just can't seem to score too much? Is the red zone noticeably harder than other field positions? I hope so cause that way the ball could be moving well for both teams but it would not necessarily always mean TDs. This is my biggest problem in Madden cause it seems that whenever you play good offense you'll score your *** off.

And is the CPU aware of such things as clock control during regular play? Does it systematically go for the next first down and the next and so on instead of just randomly calling a play after play?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:37 PM   #19
D*lph*ns m*k* m* cry

OVR: 13

In my Bills franchise I had Dallas put up a six minute drive on me down by three to tie it up.I held them from my three yard line. Their first play was a pass to glenn in the corner but he couldn't hold on to it. the next two plays were runs for no gain. I got the ball back with 29 seconds and I just took it into overtime. Dalls wins the toss and put a four minute drive in ot to kick a 39yard winning Fg.On the last drive they mixed up everything, I couldn't stop them at all. Their was even a second and one play where I was guessing run and they pulled a play action pass and throw to Galloway forty yards down the field luckily the pass was a little overthrown. Still after over two months with this game I still see animations and cpu play calling that is new to me.At least rent it.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:16 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Last night I played a game against the Ravens. I'm in the second year of my franchise with the Lions.

I was up 23-3 with about 6 minutes to go into the 4th quarter. They had the ball and promptly marched down the field on my by picking apart my weak secondary. I had been shutting down Lewis the entire game (58 yards rushing) and they finally gave up on him. He didn't touch the ball the rest of the game. It was pretty awesome to see them abandon their game plan and work on my weakest area.

Long story short, after that drive the CPU pulls a surprise onside kick on me, gets the ball back and then burns my corner for a score on the next play. So all of the sudden I am like "Oh damn"...I go 3 and out and the bastage scores again! Oh it was sick.

So now I'm down 24-23 and not feeling good about the last 1:08 left in the game since I had been shutdown almost the entire 4th quarter (after having my way with them all game). On the ensuing kickoff, my speedy rookie wideout, shakes a tackle, spins, and then stiff-arms the kicker to go 97 yards for the score. I was break dancing in the movie room!!

I go for 2 and they stop it. I'm up 29-24. I stop dancing....

I kick it deep enough that they don't return it and have 80 yards to go to win the game in about 56 seconds. I decided to play FS on that last series and it payed off. I was able to make a play on 3 balls with him and forced them to a 4th and 10. 4th down comes up and from the gun he hits the guy that had my number in the 4th, #84 (forget his name). Somehow I manage to shove him out of bounds about 4 inches short of the 1st down marker, they call a challenge and the call stands...OMG I was stressing

They had burned up all their timeouts so all I had to do was kneel on it and game over. But man...what a game!! One of my favorites thus far. Funny thing is that the CPU really caught me off guard with some of his decisions. He went for it twice on 4th down (like 4th and 4), and attempted a 51 yard FG in the 2nd quarter.

It's a great game, and I love it so much I'm thinking about not even getting another hoops game so I can play it more...got rid of ESPN NBA shortly after I bought it, thought I liked it at first, then realized that I really didn't dig on it as much as I thought.

At least rent the game though, it's spectacular....if they get 720p working for next year I'm going to die from joy
Old 11-18-2003, 02:21 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:

Blue_Monkey said:
Does the game have realistic inconsistency? Meaning long drives with several first down for both you and the CPU that just suddenly stall cause the defense suddenly feels like a concrete wall. Are there games when you can get lots of yardage but you just can't seem to score too much? Is the red zone noticeably harder than other field positions? I hope so cause that way the ball could be moving well for both teams but it would not necessarily always mean TDs. This is my biggest problem in Madden cause it seems that whenever you play good offense you'll score your *** off.

And is the CPU aware of such things as clock control during regular play? Does it systematically go for the next first down and the next and so on instead of just randomly calling a play after play?

That's the thing about Madden 2004. I feel like there is no consistency until the last quarter. You will see the CPU dropping balls like they have no hands eventhough they are in a position of a catch. The All Star difficulty is very challenging and a bit consistent but not as consistent as ESPN. My feeling playing ESPN is that if you loss you won't feel cheated because you share the same slider with the AI on the All-Star difficulty. (I am not sure if it was the all-star difficulty where you have the same slider as the AI, I am currently playing Madden ).

In Madden, if you turn off the "Madden challenge" option, with slider tweaking, it is a consistent game on it's own right. But you are always in a disadvantage if you will share the same slider with the AI. Of course depends on your taste as a gamer. Madden is newbie friendly and even if you make a bad offensive and defensive playcalling, "playmaker constrol" will help you a lot even if after the ball is snap. Something I have not found on ESPN. Take note that I might have not explored the entire ESPN features or I may have already. As I mention ESPN is a game you need to play deeper inorder to see it's beauty.

Give both a rent because whether you pick Madden or ESPN, you can't get wrong picking either one of them. It's like everything that is missing on Madden is on ESPN while everything that is missing on ESPN is on Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2003, 02:33 PM   #22
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Blue_Monkey said:

Yes. As for clock management for the most part it's pretty smart but there are times when it does dumb stuff. The one most talked about is punting rather than kicking a 47-50+ yd fg.

Sarah, if you start a franchise choosing to control all the teams you can do that.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #23
MVP

Well, I was not really saying playing all team. It has a lot to do with my created player which I love to see on different uniforms. Especially on a ESPN graphics. Anyway, my gripe on ESPN has nothing to do with the game which I think is a great game. It's just my taste and they way how I wanted to enjoy the game.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:17 PM   #24
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

no biggie, but just letting you know. you don't have to play as every team just set up the franchise that way. then you can check off the games you want to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »