Home

I'm interested in ESPN but I'd like a few things cleared first

This is a discussion on I'm interested in ESPN but I'd like a few things cleared first within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
I\'m interested in ESPN but I\'d like a few things cleared first

1)Are the RBs still machines that break at least 20 tackles a game? What about other ball carriers who used to break tackles like crazy in 2k3?

2)Does the blocking AI still suck

3)Is the tempo of the game better balanced than last year? Meaning mostly the god like speed pass rush in 2k3 while other players are slow.

4)Are the tackles still performed like this: the runner comes to tackle range -> the tackling animation kicks in and it looks like a few frames were lost between the last running step and the contact with the ball carrier? Also do players still somehow always move 4 yards to a direction after the tackle?

5)Are the dives still in the game?

6)Is the ridiculous pass release sound in the game? How about every player screaming like there's no tomorrow when the play is on? What about the huge sounds that you heard whenever a player made contact with another player.

7)Is the glue blocking still there?

8)Do off. linemen still run like madmen after linebackers when a D lineman isn't on them? In general blockers were like homing missiles in 2k3. The O- linemen didn't stay in the line. How's it in ESPN?

9)How does defending the run feel like? Last year you always had a blocker in your face (glued of course) about 0.2 seconds after the snap and you were given no options to evade the blocker.

10)Is the game geared towards scoring like Madden? Can there be good ball movement without excessive scoring? How many first downs does the CPU usually get when it runs about 60 plays?

11)I've read that "the game has the perfect balance between arcade and simulation" and that worries me. Cause the arcade part always means huge pass plays, runs or returns. Is the player able to take all of the arcade away with sliders?

12)Is running still like controlling a train with rabbit like agility? Is every player rabbit like in agility?

Help a man who just wants the best sim on the market. But please don't just praise how ESPN kix maddens a$$!!11!! I'd appreciate as many answers to my questions as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: I\'m interested in ESPN but I\'d like a few things cleared first

Seems like you have already decided you aren't going to like it. I don't have the time nor the interest to try to persuade you. Besides, most of your questions are answered in other threads.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

If you had that many GRIPES with 2k3, why are you even interested in 2k4?
Old 11-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

uh why not just rent it and see for yourself
Old 11-15-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

Blue_Monkey said:
1)Are the RBs still machines that break at least 20 tackles a game? What about other ball carriers who used to break tackles like crazy in 2k3?

2)Does the blocking AI still suck

3)Is the tempo of the game better balanced than last year? Meaning mostly the god like speed pass rush in 2k3 while other players are slow.

4)Are the tackles still performed like this: the runner comes to tackle range -> the tackling animation kicks in and it looks like a few frames were lost between the last running step and the contact with the ball carrier? Also do players still somehow always move 4 yards to a direction after the tackle?

5)Are the dives still in the game?

6)Is the ridiculous pass release sound in the game? How about every player screaming like there's no tomorrow when the play is on? What about the huge sounds that you heard whenever a player made contact with another player.

7)Is the glue blocking still there?

8)Do off. linemen still run like madmen after linebackers when a D lineman isn't on them? In general blockers were like homing missiles in 2k3. The O- linemen didn't stay in the line. How's it in ESPN?

9)How does defending the run feel like? Last year you always had a blocker in your face (glued of course) about 0.2 seconds after the snap and you were given no options to evade the blocker.

10)Is the game geared towards scoring like Madden? Can there be good ball movement without excessive scoring? How many first downs does the CPU usually get when it runs about 60 plays?

11)I've read that "the game has the perfect balance between arcade and simulation" and that worries me. Cause the arcade part always means huge pass plays, runs or returns. Is the player able to take all of the arcade away with sliders?

12)Is running still like controlling a train with rabbit like agility? Is every player rabbit like in agility?

1. No. Some of the more notable Balanced and powerbacks are tough to bring down like Priest, Ricky, Alstot, Duece, Jamal lewis, etc. But even they can be contained with good playcalling.

2. It didn't suck in 2k3. However its even better in 2k4

3. Don't know what the hell you're talking about here. I don't recall "godspeed" passrush in 2k3 and theres none of it in 2k4.

4. Again, not sure what the hell you mean here because in 2k3 the ballcarrier was knocked back 3-5 yds depending on the hit. This year the tackles are more realistic and based on momentum. Theres even Pile-on gangtackling where you can come in and help bring a guy down...even change the direction he was going in. This is huge in short yadage situations and its something you won' find in any other game.

5. Yes dives are in there but they're alot more realistic now.

6. Yeah the "whoosh" sound is still there but you can adjust the volume of sound affects so you won't hear it. The onfield player audio is the same. I think its actually the best in the business but thats just my opinion. Field volume is adjustable as well. In fact you can choose from several different prest audio settings like "On the Field", "Broadcast", "In the Stands", ect...to suit your tastes.

7. I don't recall any "glue blocking from 2k3" and you could and still can shed blocks. Every game has suction blocking to an extent because its an intercation between players that has to be scripted but 2k4 has te lowest degree of suction blocking between it and Madden for sure.

8. WTF??? I guess you'd rather not have the Olinemen block downfield or stay with their assignments. Thats football, man. Olinemen are big ,nasty, aggressive bastards and espn depicts them well.

9. Defending run requires alot more thought this year and theres plenty of playcalling flexibility at your disposal to help you defend it better. The main thing to do is practice good tackling technique. You can't just dive at ballcarriers from ******* angles like you do in other games and think you'll be successful.

10. Game flow is best part of espn. Very realistic.

11. Yes. Personally I don't even adjust sliders and haven't any type of "arcade" experience.

12. No theres more momentum this year and you'll feel the difference when controlling different types of runners (power, balanced, or finesse). Changing directions could better animation-wise but the momentum is there....alot more realistic than the sluggish response felt in other footbal games. ESPNFL offers the tightest sense of control IMO.

Quote:

Blue_Monkey said:
Help a man who just wants the best sim on the market.

Well then the game you want is ESPNFL hands down. It isn't perfect and no game is...but on the field, its undeniably the closest and most accurate depiction of real nfl action you'll find on consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
MVP

No, I really am interested in the game. My post was not a "look at all these flaws the game has" post. 2k3 wasn't a good game for me because of those things. They're not too big things to fix and I always thought that 2k4 (ESPN obviously now) would be one hell of a football game.

But I couldn't rely on just that thought so I made a thourough list of questions. They're all basically yes-or-no questions if you want although I would like some explanations. A rental is ok but I don't want to sit 48 hours with the game studying every piece of it so I'll just ask people here.

So, I ask anyone to help me decide if I want that game.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:46 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Did you read kanobi's post? And most of the problems you are talking about weren't in nfl2k3.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
MVP

Thank you, Kanobi. Although you too seemed to take offense of my post.

Guys, I wasn't attacking your ESPN NFL Football.

But your post was helpful, Kanobi, thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »