Home

Suspect CPU Clock Management

This is a discussion on Suspect CPU Clock Management within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Suspect CPU Clock Management

I have had this happen a couple times, and it is becoming annoying:
CPU is down by a point or two with two minutes to go and the ball is his own territory. He gets out near his 40 with about 1:30 to go, and suddenly becomes very casual about things. The CPU will come up to the line and wait as 15-20 seconds tick off. It would make sense to kill the clock if he was inside my 20, but not from his own 35-40. It seems as though the CPU knows that he is about to complete a 30 yard pass in double coverage, or that it's RB is about to catch a dump pass and break 5 tackles and romp deep into my territory. From there it is a gauranteed CPU FG with :02 left.

Hopefully this is a rarity, but it really has that "scripted" feel to it ala Madden that I gave up on last year. I don't claim to being a defensive wizard, but I seem to play plausably for the first 3 1/2 quarters and hold the CPU on the 3rd and long obvious passing situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Suspect CPU Clock Management

The clock management is poor. They waste time amounts needed on defense when they should be running hurry-up. Onside kick decisions both aggressive and conservative are sometimes poor. I just won a game when I was down by 1 point with a last second field goal. The problem was that I had the ball inside their 20 with under 2 minutes and they had all 3 timeouts. Because they were winning, they let me kill the clock and kick a chip shot for the win. Most NFL teams would have used their time-outs assuming a good kick to get the ball back.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I actually won in a similar fashion yesterday in my franchise, but as I was waiting to set up my play, the CPU did call a timeout to stop me from running down the clock. So it does happen, they should just tweak it to make smarter decisions more often.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #4
Banned

bigmark's Arena

OVR: 8

He also kicks onside kicks in a one-possession game with 3 time-outs left and 3 minutes on the clock
Old 12-07-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Any other clock management problems? In 2k3 I saw the CPU running the ball several times when down with about 2 minutes left. Also in 2k3 the CPU couldn't manage the clock at the end of the first half.

How's it now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2003, 02:37 PM   #6
MVP

sportdan30's Arena

OVR: 13

This is my biggest gripe concerning the AIs clock management and it's happened twice now in the span of 5 games.

Twice I've been tied with the AI with under 2 minutes left. They have the ball on my 20 yard line. They run a play to my fifteen. Now, there's a minute left. They have 2 timeouts. They then run another play...a running play. I have no timeouts, so I'm guessing they're going to run the clock down to 3 seconds and kick the game winning field goal. 3rd down...they run again with 20 seconds left...tick tick tick.....3 seconds, 2 seconds, 1 SECOND.....time runs out. Overtime! I can not understand how this gets overlooked....blasphemy!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »