Home

Perpetual late season swoon??

This is a discussion on Perpetual late season swoon?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Perpetual late season swoon??

It does become a bit tougher at the end of the season, which is why the gameplan becomes much more important. I always seem to play against the Bengals in week 17, and I've gotten torched twice for 200+ yards. It seems to me that as soon as I lean towards stopping the pass instead of the run, I'll get torched if the AI has an average back.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:49 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think a lot of it is in your minds.

I play the Chiefs and I started the season 3-6 in the first 10 weeks. I need to run the table to make the playoffs, and since I have won 3 straight. I think it depends on how you play it late in the season.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:18 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

NFL teams start to gel towards the second half of the season. So games will be harder the second half of the season. Perfect example the Bengals. That team dumped and signed somewhere between 25-35 players in the offseason and now everybody is playing together. I noticed the home field advantage in ESPN more so than the second half of the season difficulty because I adjust my gameplan every week and I use enough plays to keep from being shutdown on offense and ran over on Defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2003, 12:09 PM   #12
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Darth_Vader said:
I think a lot of it is in your minds.

All I know is that I watch ed the replay of the 'Ricky Williams Incident'about 5 times b/c it was hysterical...

It was totally 'Casper the Friendly Ghost'...

Williams LITERALLY 'ran through' the animation of Arrington for the 'go ahead' TD...

Ain't no slider or gameplan options for that...

Add the two fumbled INTs that I made manually and then somehow turned back over due to 'massive hits' by WRs on OLBs and you tend to get a bit suspicious...

The capper was hitting the goal post on a chip shot FG that was aimed in the opposite direction (no wind)...

Oh well...

Why believe me?...

I've only seen this level of 'CPU Cheese' once or twice in multiple 'chise season...so admittedly it is VERY rare...

I still believe that different slider options can bring different gameplay, animations and commentary to the fore...

So it will ineveitably be different for different users as a result...
Old 11-29-2003, 03:31 AM   #13
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

The "CPU adjusts" argument sounds nice, but I'm not buying it. I have had mediocre seasons in which my record in the second half of the season was equal or better than the first half. However, when my team gets off to a nice start, it seems that the CPU decides my record is a little better than it should be, and it is time to clamp down.

Most of the games I lose are plausable, but some of the more questionable defeats are noticable by repeated occurances of the following uncontrollable events; timely penalties, dropped passes on 3rd down and the favorite move of all football game CPU's, the fumble in the critical situation.

I am all for the CPU figuring out what I am going to do and calling the right play. But when I watch the replay's of my most disasterous events, it gets suspicious. CPU DE's brush aside double teams to get in my QB's face with 8 defenders dropping back into coverage. CPU WR's pancaking my linebackers and CPU RB's with even more absurd breaking of tackles than usual.

After a loss or two, these things suddenly stop happening. Perahps it is just bad luck. Hopefully with more playing time I will change my mind, but to this point, it definately seems that the difficulty is adjusted based upon my teams record.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #14
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Cardot said:
The "CPU adjusts" argument sounds nice, but I'm not buying it. I have had mediocre seasons in which my record in the second half of the season was equal or better than the first half. However, when my team gets off to a nice start, it seems that the CPU decides my record is a little better than it should be, and it is time to clamp down.

Most of the games I lose are plausable, but some of the more questionable defeats are noticable by repeated occurances of the following uncontrollable events; timely penalties, dropped passes on 3rd down and the favorite move of all football game CPU's, the fumble in the critical situation.

I am all for the CPU figuring out what I am going to do and calling the right play. But when I watch the replay's of my most disasterous events, it gets suspicious. CPU DE's brush aside double teams to get in my QB's face with 8 defenders dropping back into coverage. CPU WR's pancaking my linebackers and CPU RB's with even more absurd breaking of tackles than usual.

After a loss or two, these things suddenly stop happening. Perahps it is just bad luck. Hopefully with more playing time I will change my mind, but to this point, it definately seems that the difficulty is adjusted based upon my teams record.

This has been my EXACT experience in franchise mode several times...thanks for the succinct description...
Old 11-29-2003, 10:56 AM   #15
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
NFL teams start to gel towards the second half of the season. So games will be harder the second half of the season. Perfect example the Bengals. That team dumped and signed somewhere between 25-35 players in the offseason and now everybody is playing together. I noticed the home field advantage in ESPN more so than the second half of the season difficulty because I adjust my gameplan every week and I use enough plays to keep from being shutdown on offense and ran over on Defense.

Same here. I tweak my gameplan sliders from week to week also based on the team I'm facing and what their strengths are. It works well against divisional opponents that I play late in the season. I make adjustements to my playbooks as well....borrowning some stuff from other teams and thats mainly on defense. Works pretty good for me...especially against the run.

As for the questionable events I haven't seen them in the late season games I've had. Those games have been tougher...just not cheap.

I've seen the global pancake before though where you whole defense gets wipedout.lol! But has happened regardless of where I am in the season and its quite rare to.

I guess its just me but I'm not experiencing any cheapness or cheating late in the season due to record or anythingelse. I've had a really 12-4 season and 2 of those losses occured early due to some key injuries I had coming out of the pre-season. Tough games that season to. Good stuff.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2003, 01:00 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

Cardot said:

Are you playing as the Dolphins?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »