Home

ESPN NFL is sneaky!!

This is a discussion on ESPN NFL is sneaky!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2003, 03:50 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
ESPN NFL is sneaky!!

I am a huge basketball fan and is the major reason why I sign up on this forum. I own and played all NBA games since 1995 (EA games that is). Started playing 2K series since 2K2. I watch most of the NBA games I can find on the channels when I am relaxing. Then after ESPN NFL 2K4 was release I notice I started to like NFL games (aside from video games). But still watch NBA.

Then recently whenever I can find ESPN showing what's up around the NFL league I started to be glued on it. Then after watching it, I usually play ESPN on or before and mostly after the ESPN show. Then suddenly I realize that I lost my interest towards baskeball games anymore that even the SA vs LA was a waste of my time. I'd rather watch football. Then suddenly I remember that I did own a copy of ESPN NBA 2K4 but for some reason I'd rather play NFL than 2K basketball series. And before I know it, I am now a BIG NFL fan.

In fact what I used to hate on ESPN NFL 2K4 is now my favorite target of my strategy. I even manage to limit the likes of Jerome Bettis, Portis and Ricky to a 50 yard run on All Pro level which I used to think unstapable. On my 5 games the best I allowed to my opponents is around 2 TD per game. For the most part 1 TD and 2 FG (3 points worth) attempts. While I am averaging 4 TD per game with my Raiders rated 90 overall. Now I can't stop playing ESPN because of strategy level it offers. I always love to play games where you can use your head for the most part.

Heck my best offensive style where I was able to master it to the point of it being almost unstapable was scouted perfectly by my opponents that it became difficult for me to see my targets. Right now I am thinking of what to cook this Sunday and watch NFL afterwards. Hmm, maybe I'll bake a cake, pair it with potato chips plus orange juice. Call my cousins and make it family night every sunday. No wonder NFL is so popular.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: ESPN NFL is sneaky!!

I agree, the only difference is on Sundays I toast beers , not orange juice!
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

The reason football is so popular is due to the fact that most boys play it and it's considered a Warrior sport. Guys in general love violence and are to a point raised to embrace it. If you look at most of the top selling games they have some form of violence in them.

The only thing sneaky about ESPN NFL Football is how fun it is when you learn how to actually play it.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

It's also a thinking man's game whereas if you choose the right defensive set and audibles, means the difference in letting the cpu take off downfield, or stopping them allowing only a gratuitous amount of yard. Like a chess game if you will, always be one step ahead of your opponent(s). So yes, being versed in football helps ease your transitioning into the game. It's pretty close to being on the field.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
MVP

Actually it's not the violent part of the sport that make me like the game. It's the level of anticipation before the ball snap. A lot of times you think that you read the offense or defense right, but then when the ball is snap everything becomes uncertain because you won't know whether or not what your thinking is going to happen. The sport is very unpredictable on every huddle where every inch is earned.

Anyway, I called ESPN NFL video game sneaky because I did not realize that I am starting to care about the sport just by playing ESPN NFL video game. Before I knew it I became familiar with most of the NFL team star players and the sport itself. When I bought ESPN, I bought it not because I like it or because I am familiar with the sport, but because I can't wait for the next version of ESPN NBA. And since NFL are always the once release first, I just kind of satisfied myself by buying the NFL then later on trade it when NBA is release. And this is not the case now. Instead I am getting rid of ESPN NBA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

Sarah said:
Actually it's not the violent part of the sport that make me like the game. It's the level of anticipation before the ball snap. A lot of times you think that you read the offense or defense right, but then when the ball is snap everything becomes uncertain because you won't know whether or not what your thinking is going to happen. The sport is very unpredictable on every huddle where every inch is earned.

Anyway, I called ESPN NFL video game sneaky because I did not realize that I am starting to care about the sport just by playing ESPN NFL video game. Before I knew it I became familiar with most of the NFL team star players and the sport itself. When I bought ESPN, I bought it not because I like it or because I am familiar with the sport, but because I can't wait for the next version of ESPN NBA. And since NFL are always the once release first, I just kind of satisfied myself by buying the NFL then later on trade it when NBA is release. And this is not the case now. Instead I am getting rid of ESPN NBA.

Sarah, I agree with you. Sport video games make the real thing more interesting. Also, I agree its not the violence, or else ultimate fighting would be the king of sports. It is the anticipation. Give me football, baseball and basketball, and I'm happy all year round.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
The reason football is so popular is due to the fact that most boys play it and it's considered a Warrior sport. Guys in general love violence and are to a point raised to embrace it. If you look at most of the top selling games they have some form of violence in them.

The only thing sneaky about ESPN NFL Football is how fun it is when you learn how to actually play it.

I disagree. Basketball is my life. Has been since I was about 5 years old. It always will be. But never will a regular season NBA team be more appealing to me than a regular season football game. Never will a playoff game be more of interest than an NFL playoff game and the same goes with a championship game vs the superbowl.

The thing is football is for the most part one day a week and EVERY game is VERY important. During football season it's like every sunday is a holiday and every loss your team takes could be the one to ruin their season. Whether you like football more than any other sport or not, if you like it at all watching it will be better than any other sport b/c of the importance of every game played.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 AM   #8
MVP

I also agree with your views. If it's all about the violent play of football, NFL Hitz (I am not sure if it is the right title where players powerbomb and slam each other) would have been the most popular amongst the NFL titles. Anyway, the reason why I love ESPN more compared to basketball (I am talking video games) is because the ESPN NFL offers more tactical situations than the ESPN basketball. For instance, I sacrifice the passing defense and concentrate more on holding the HB and my DE is putting pressure on the QB for quick release to decrease his accuracy. I leave the FB back alone since they were never a threat to me. Of course that is the physical part of the game which many people found entertaining (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it), but to me looking at the situation, I don't see people being run over, but rather I see people trying to execute the play to perfection.

But that's just me. NBA used to have the NFL atmosphere in the previous decades, but nowadays I don't see it anymore. Instead I hear players whining, great players joining forces just to get a cheap shot for a championship ring, players complaining when push to the limits. Something I don't hear much on the NFL. I also aggree that on NFL, it's like every game is like a playoffs game. And Super Bowl is played like there lives depend on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »